Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

We just returned from a great dinner at our favorite supper club, waiter asked about our empty bottle of wine and I said it had evaporated, funny thing is years ago at our favorite restaurant in nyc Becco’s we told a very young waitress that there was a problem with our wine bottle that wine had evaporated she thought for about a minute that there was a serous problem not that we just needed a second bottle, would recommend this restaurant to everyone, extremely reasonably priced restaurant for midtown Manhattan. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So what would you say is the minimum megapixel number you would find acceptable?

Depends on what you do with your picture.  High quality prints are printed at 300 pixels per inch, so an  8 inch X 10 inch print would need 2400 X 3000 pixels, which is 7.2 megapixels.  Round up to 10 megapixels so you have some room to crop before printing without losing quality.  Posting anywhere online will end up being much smaller than that.  Most people, unless you want to print larger than 8 X 10, will be fine with 10-12 megapixel cameras.  At that point, there are other (more?) important considerations when it comes to the "quality" of a picture, sensor size being one of them. Megapixel count is merely a size measure, not a quality measure (insert size matters joke here).

If you DO want to make large prints, say a 16 X 20 of a beautiful landscape shot that you took while hiking, then more pixels will be needed for a "clean" print.  You'd ideally want 30 megapixels to maintain a 300 ppi print, although again there would be other considerations at that size like quality of the lens, sensor, camera software, skill of the photographer, etc. that will have as big of an impact, if not more, than megapixels in the sensor on how the final print will look.  The Tom's Guide web site does a good job of explaining this.

How Many Megapixels Do You Really Need? - Tom's Guide | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, George C said:

We just returned from a great dinner at our favorite supper club, waiter asked about our empty bottle of wine and I said it had evaporated, 

I love this. I may have to borrow that line sometime.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Found on FB

How far is his house from yours? Looks like a nice pool.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

The Tom's Guide web site does a good job of explaining this.

How Many Megapixels Do You Really Need? - Tom's Guide | Tom's Guide (tomsguide.com)

Thank you for the explanation and link. Always good to know.

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  My RV fridge is starting to get very packed up!  😉 

More wine.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I love this. I may have to borrow that line sometime.

How far is his house from yours? Looks like a nice pool.

Thank you for the explanation and link. Always good to know.

More wine.

The 1/2 bathroom in the land yacht is being used as a broom closet...and wine closet.  It's packed up too...but not with brooms.  😉 😄 🍷

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Sheal said:

What no spreadsheets?  My husband says thats what scares them off.  I actually did short videos on administering the correct drug dosage for his liquid meds.  Quite frankly I think it was the video on the Nespresso machine that sealed the deal. 

I love the video idea but I'm sure we would never find a dog sitter again. Even our kids would abandon us!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We both just successfully completed our Covid tests for our Allure cruise on Sunday.  Both negative!  Time to start packing.  If only we were allowed to take a wine filled broom closet with us.

Congratulations that has to be a relief. Did you do the Binax Now AG-Card tests? If so tell me about your experience and ease of use.

8 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We both just successfully completed our Covid tests for our Allure cruise on Sunday.  Both negative!  Time to start packing.  If only we were allowed to take a wine filled broom closet with us.

LOL...at least you can still bring on two bottles per cabin.  😉 😄 

Congrats on the negative results...and have a fantabulous cruise!!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

At that point, there are other (more?) important considerations when it comes to the "quality" of a picture, sensor size being one of them.

Good point.  The phone I have can shoot at 108 meg on it’s 1x lens.  The print quantity from the phone would not be as good from a larger sensor in an SLR camera.  So if you are comparing two cameras, the camera that advertises a larger number of pixels does not mean it will take a better quality picture.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Congratulations that has to be a relief. Did you do the Binax Now AG-Card tests? If so tell me about your experience and ease of use.

Yes.  We used the BinaxNow tests.  Very easy process.  Less than 30 minutes per person for the test.  I did it once before after coming back from my golf trip...partly to see if I had somehow become infected while traveling, and partly to get experience with the test.  We did it completely on our phones but you can also do it on a desktop if it has a video camera.  

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We did it completely on our phones

Thanks for telling me your experience. Doing it by phone did you have to set the phone down and prop it up at a wide enough angle so the procter can see everything or can you do it handheld?

25 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Please keep us updated on your cruise, we sail on allure in two months, have a great cruise. 

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks for telling me your experience. Doing it by phone did you have to set the phone down and prop it up at a wide enough angle so the procter can see everything or can you do it handheld?

First time, Micheline held my phone for me to ensure that the proctor could see both me and the test kit on the desk.  That was a little tricky because she couldn't see the screen to see what she was pointed at.  This time, I used a small desktop tripod to hold the phone.  It was raised up slightly and pointed a little downward, again to see both me and the test kit.

You will also need to scan the QR code on the kit at the start of the test, show your ID, and then rescan the QR code and show the results window at the end of the test.  All of this is done using the camera on the back of your phone since that's a higher quality camera.  The proctor will automatically switch cameras when requesting you to scan the QR code or show your ID, and then switch back to the selfie/front video camera when watching you. 

Having witnessed the whole thing 3 times now, each time with a different proctor, they read a script almost word for word.  You just need to follow the directions of the proctor.  The instructions are very clear and there are accompanying pictures on your screen showing what the proctor is saying.  Most of the proctors that I've had seem to be from India.  Some people may have problems understanding the proctor's accent, although that wasn't a problem for me or for Micheline.  As I've said elsewhere if that happens, just ask them to repeat what they said.  This video is worth watching before taking the test so that you've seen the process once before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1