Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

19 hours ago, singinalot said:

well, my day has been anything but routine! 

Some of you know from reading my reports that Nate owns a fence company. His contracts can take him anywhere within a 3 hour radius at times. Today he was an hour away.

I was also at work (executive assistant at a hospital) today.

9am this morning I get a call from Nate starting with “don’t freak out but”...insert must freak out here....”I need you to come down here to the ER. There’s been an accident and my arm is hurt”.

I immediately leave work, drive the hour to the ER he’s at (of course it’s through a dead zone with no cell service). During the drive all kinds of panic was setting in and worst case scenarios.

I made it and won’t describe the scenario I walked in on. The auger had blown, a metal piece flew off (full blast) and sliced his arm open to the bone. I can only thank God that it was his arm and not something else. The doctor said it was amazing it didn’t get his hand or fingers or an artery or face. O M G

A couple of hours, xrays, several sutures, and a few tears later, we’re just really thankful. We thought his arm was at least broken, but it’s not.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Nate.

Been walking everyday veering further and further away from our subdivision into new neighborhoods. Plan to walk every  street in the entire area by winter. Fresh air and sunshine even when it's hot and humid brightens your day.

Several of our senior citizen walking groups began meeting again in June at various parks and neighborhoods. Everyone is supposed to wear masks and social distance. People forget from time to time after we pause for a drink break. But since we are all walking in the same direction, I feel comfortable walking besides others to talk while wearing masks. We still don't use public transportation to get to destinations. Feel anxious for those essential workers who must. 

We have been going to outside venues like the zoo, botanical gardens and outside dining patios during weekdays to break up our routine. Have finally read all the Harry Potter books. But I'm done with all the baking, cleaning out the clutter, binge streaming, gardening and zooming. Looking forward to the fall to again meet one on one with another couple for picnics,  winery visits or long drives in the country.

It's time to make new memories instead of dwelling on the New Now. 

I truly identify and sympathize with the school children who are now longing  just to get back to school. This is the time of year we are busy making  plans to again visit museums, attend concerts and lectures or see the new fall/holiday movies as the tourists return home and venues become less crowded.

But we can't go inside anywhere yet. As a recent breast cancer survivor and my husband an open heart surgery patient, we cannot let down our guard. I really, really would like to make plans for our next cruise but know we will have to wait until a tried and true vaccine is available and shows true immunity after a majority of the world gets it.

Is it just me or does it appear that a lot of people just don't care any longer? We noticed several large pool parties today as we walked and a huge funeral  was being held without any socially distancing or the wearing of masks. If people on't do it in their daily lives, how can we trust that anyone would do it on vacation?

Sorry if I'm venting here. None of this is anybody's fault. Life goes on...for some of us... until it doesn't. Maybe I'll plan a cruise anyways. I've always enjoyed researching for our next. The boards here at Cruise Critic offer so many insights and tips. Love to read the reviews and see the photos from travelers who have enjoyed cruising as much as we do. 

I think I've been away from here way too long. 

Have any of you done a road trip this summer that you could share with everyone? While not being a cruise, at least it would be fun to see what others have found as they hit the road. Give us some insight into how we can prepare when cruising becomes available again?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 1:08 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

Great catch. Generally it’s a Bud Light or the Dog that sneaks in my pictures. 

Israel has some wonderful Medical, Scientific, Engineering, and Agriculture research. 

The US would be far better off if we required at least two years service as does Israel. 

I agree 100 %.There should be mandatory two year service for the able bodied residents.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Sorry to but into your conversation but are you familiar with the song Rumania,Rumania by the Limelighters .It is one of my favorites.

Mine too!!! Trying to keep in touch with many Roumanian "memorabilia" 😁

Just yesterday our in-laws brought us some home-made "mamaliga", and we treated them with conserved watermelon, which my father used to do in Roumania (along with green tomatoes, cucumbers and cabbage...).

Avatiah.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fairweather said:

Is it just me or does it appear that a lot of people just don't care any longer? We noticed several large pool parties today as we walked and a huge funeral  was being held without any socially distancing or the wearing of masks. If people on't do it in their daily lives, how can we trust that anyone would do it on vacation?

Indeed, it seems that some people, mainly young, don't care any longer. The truth is that it is very difficult to maintain this "routine" of Corona -- being on your toes all the times and "calculating" whether to go outside for this and that.

At the beginning, we had our neighbors do our shopping (along with theirs), but after a month of so, it gets "old". We're wearing the masks all the time, maintain social distancing, but you have people not wearing it properly and you can't go and say every time "pls. wear your mask on your nose too...". Some have the attitude of "devil may care"...

It is tiring, and I'm afraid will have to keep "living alongside the Corona" for several months at least...

35 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Mine too!!! Trying to keep in touch with many Roumanian "memorabilia" 😁

Just yesterday our in-laws brought us some home-made "mamaliga", and we treated them with conserved watermelon, which my father used to do in Roumania (along with green tomatoes, cucumbers and cabbage...).

Avatiah.jpg

When my eldest daughter got married my soon to be son in law in made sure to hire a klezmer band .All the men including me danced non stop till we were ready to pass out.

• Like 2

Spent a relatively relaxing day here. Blew the pavers around the pool, cleaned Lucy’s water dish, threw the cleaner in the pool, weeded the garden, did laundry and a little paper work all before lunch.  This afternoon just lounged and watched hockey. Watching the Vegas game right now. 

Saw this butterfly in the morning.  Seems like we just put those wood chips down, and that was in late April. Need a cruise. 

0A7DED82-C045-4EC7-B4D4-CAA397C8CA8F.thumb.jpeg.9b095c3f8bbb51fb283b3a0d307ea814.jpeg

BBQed some street meat (hot dogs) tonight for dinner with the supervisor watching. 

C84B7267-D5E7-4716-8068-4F55AD631531.thumb.jpeg.36c0b052f3de36288c4ec69af6fc9d8c.jpeg

DAC64343-5C3D-45ED-9D13-9A63927221C6.thumb.jpeg.6ecb20ec04302e70b0f47e875775d13f.jpeg

• Like 2

My son should of got married this weekend but because of Covid it's been moved to next year. Instead they went down to Mevagissey in Cornwall for the weekend, went crabbing off the pier, took a boat trip around the bay and came across a big pod of dolphins 🐬

The very hot weather has finally broken in the UK and its cooler with rain storms now. Looking forward to visiting my other son in London today 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I agree 100 %.There should be mandatory two year service for the able bodied residents.

We maybe wouldn't have so many spoiled young adult "protesters" if they had learned to give back instead of just being takers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2020 at 12:22 PM, dani negreanu said:

. Most of our friends are from Cluj/Timisoara -- they spoke Hungarian at home, and Romanian "outside". They are more religious and traditional than me -- I'm from Bucharest...

Dani,  Do most of the youth in Israel practice the Jewish faith?  Or is it the exception?

1 hour ago, Etta1213 said:

Dani,  Do most of the youth in Israel practice the Jewish faith?  Or is it the exception?

That's a "complicated" question...

There are 80% Jews in Israel, and 20% Arabs with a smattering of Christians.

Jews are "by default" of Jewish faith, whereas Christians have much more "options" -- Baptists, Catholics, Protestants, Greek Orthodox -- to name a few.

The young are less "practicing" than the older -- when we married 47 years ago, we had no choice but to marry religiously. There is no civil marriage in Israel. Now days you can "declare" that you're "living in sin" -- our youngest and his bride didn't want a religious ceremony,  and they made their wows before family and friends with a big party. The "state" treats them as married, but in their identity card they're "bachelors"...

There are many "interpretations" of the Jewish faith - some are keeping "kosher", but are traveling on Shabbat. Some are not keeping "kosher", but don't eat pork.... Even "kosher" has different meanings to different parts of the population....

• Thanks 2

Today we would have started our cruise on the Harmony of the Seas.

Starting this past March I have been creating and saving some rather unique ideas and posts to do my first live thread.

I had a theme

I had a song

I had pictures

Damn I was ready

I even practiced doing everything creative with my handy dandy new I phone 11.

(I'm old remember and those new technological contraptions take some time to figure out)

Well, thats not going to happen.

What to do?

So instead we are taking both GTO's (1966 and 2006) to a cruise in for Hospice of the Valley.

Guess I will modify my theme and try again next August.

Stay healthy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Today we would have started our cruise on the Harmony of the Seas.

Starting this past March I have been creating and saving some rather unique ideas and posts to do my first live thread.

I had a theme

I had a song

I had pictures

Damn I was ready

I even practiced doing everything creative with my handy dandy new I phone 11.

(I'm old remember and those new technological contraptions take some time to figure out)

Well, thats not going to happen.

What to do?

So instead we are taking both GTO's (1966 and 2006) to a cruise in for Hospice of the Valley.

Guess I will modify my theme and try again next August.

Stay healthy.

I thought you did a live review with your daughters boyfriend as the theme

11 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

We maybe wouldn't have so many spoiled young adult "protesters" if they had learned to give back instead of just being takers.

I have posted this before but it bears repeating .On December 8,1941 ,three of my cousins,brothers enlisted in the army.

• Thanks 2

This morning, we got up and out early to beat the heat and rode our motorcycles out for a 62 mile loop to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Finished it off with a 100 mile ride through old backroads Florida. 

Now enjoying a beer in the pool watching F1A I recorded.  Tonight cooking some lamb again. 

DCA48820-12DA-4450-A02D-BD0FEDE59529.png

D8CA79B9-D30A-4485-A0FE-5906BD3ED3DE.jpeg

421718B7-5D79-4379-9A74-5C519BAE4BE6.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

That's a "complicated" question...

There are many "interpretations" of the Jewish faith - some are keeping "kosher", but are traveling on Shabbat. Some are not keeping "kosher", but don't eat pork.... Even "kosher" has different meanings to different parts of the population....

That applies to anywhere in the world not just Israel.