Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

I'm a native Floridian (South FL) where we call them subs or submarines.  The Cuban influence makes us prefer Cubans (Cuban sandwiches - a feud now going on between Miami and Tampa over who first invented the Cuban) and soft drinks, soda, not pop, or coke (cola), like in the Deep South for every soft drink regardless if it's coke or not. 

Having lived many years in the NE tri-state area, I've heard hero (NY), grinder (VT, New England), wedge (Westchester, Western CT), hoagie (Phillie), zeppelin or zep (PA), spuckie or spucadella (Boston), and blimpie (Jersey). 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 2

On the subject of different names for the same food in different parts of the US, what do you call what we in S. FL call pancakes?  I've heard many names for them traveling around the country. 

Hot cakes, flapjacks, slapjacks, flatjacks, flatcakes, flipjacks, flippers, clapjacks, flapcakes, flapovers, flopjacks, or flopovers?

11 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

On the subject of different names for the same food in different parts of the US, what do you call what we in S. FL call pancakes?  I've heard many names for them traveling around the country. 

Hot cakes, flapjacks, slapjacks, flatjacks, flatcakes, flipjacks, flippers, clapjacks, flapcakes, flapovers, flopjacks, or flopovers?

A NYC vote for pancakes.  Then again, there are a lot of transplanted New Yorkers living in Florida.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, singinalot said:

I grew up in St. Charles, just outside of STL, and then moved to Joplin for school and Springfield for a year.

MSSC? Or whatever it's called now.

Grew up in Webb City, college at MIZZOU, had kids in St Louis. West County.

56 minutes ago, singinalot said:

it’s been a rough go! we spent three hours in the ER Wednesday, but this time it was the ER for the hospital I work at so I felt much more relieved and secure in the physician...they did some blood work and another x-ray, prescribed some antibiotics, percocet, and something to help him sleep. Between his broken back from the car accident and now the arm he hasn’t been able to really lay down.

last night was the first real night of sleep we’ve gotten.

He just got home a bit ago and I see significant improvement in his arm. He says he’s feeling a lot better, too, so I think he may have had a low grade infection .

Stitches come out Monday 🤞🤞🤞

That's great he is feeling better.  I'm sure the percocet helped him get a good nights rest that was long overdue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, singinalot said:

it’s been a rough go! we spent three hours in the ER Wednesday, but this time it was the ER for the hospital I work at so I felt much more relieved and secure in the physician...they did some blood work and another x-ray, prescribed some antibiotics, percocet, and something to help him sleep. Between his broken back from the car accident and now the arm he hasn’t been able to really lay down.

last night was the first real night of sleep we’ve gotten.

He just got home a bit ago and I see significant improvement in his arm. He says he’s feeling a lot better, too, so I think he may have had a low grade infection .

Stitches come out Monday 🤞🤞🤞

Fingers crossed that tonight is another good night of sleep. Hopefully he has rounded the bend. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

We could start a whole new thread on regional words for things.  We moved to the Cincinnati area in 1992 and it took me a while to get used to people saying "please?".  It's like saying "excuse me, could you repeat that?" if you didn't quite understand what someone said. 

18 minutes ago, singinalot said:

Yeah keeping him on top of the pain management has been key

This is hard with strong minded/tough people, (guessing Nate is one of these) especially if they have any concern about getting addicted.  "I'm feeling better...I don't think I need any more Percocet".  Once you fall behind, it takes a while (and some pain) before you get caught back up.  Speaking from experience with my wife who has had multiple surgeries.  If he doesn't already know this, or if it wasn't written into your vows, he needs to do what you tell him. 😁

21 hours ago, davekathy said:

Looks great and as you said surreal. Glad you two were able to get away and enjoy. I still can remember one poster busting your b!@#$ about you being from Florida only doing cruises for vacations and getaways and now you have no life because of COVID shutting down cruising. I also remember you setting that poster straight concerning your travels. 👍 Enjoy.  🍷🍷

Thanks my friend...cheers back at 'cha!   🍷🍷

LOL...that's right...I forgot about that "well informed know it all".  😉   Starting to plan our summer 2021 (back to Maine) tour now.  Though with the uncertainty of knowing if we will make it to spring 2021 Australia, SP, Hawaii, TP plus the European late summer trip for 2021...not going to go up with the "Land yacht".  Decided to fly up and do B&Bs and cabins in Maine this time, like we are doing here in Alaska.  

Did manage to squeek in a few weeks in the Florida Keys with the Land Yacht for this October, now that sadly the Barcelona Med cruises and TA were cancelled for Allure this year.  

Drats...when oh when ...do we cruise again??!!  Sigh...  😞 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Drats...when oh when ...do we cruise again??!!  Sigh...  😞

I know what you mean. But for now we'll keep our chins up by keeping our positive attitudes about our  2021 cruises. 🤞 When our final payment dates grow closer and if the state of the current pandemic hasn't improved by then, at that time we'll start to be more concerned if we're going cruising or not in 2021. As we did for our 2020 cruises, we'll let RC and Celebrity decide for us if we are going or not in 2021.

We are heading back to Jackson Hole, West Yellowstone and Island Park in September. We went to Jackson Hole in July. It was a different vibe compared to years past but we adjusted and it was great to get away. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

especially if they have any concern about getting addicted.  "I'm feeling better...I don't think I need any more Percocet". 

Agree. Not long after starting this thread, I woke up one morning with a bad lower back pain, which radiated into my upper leg. I said to myself: "this is not the pain you're usually experiencing after hoovering the carpets..."😒

I treated myself with the "usual suspects" - Advil, paracetamol, even a Voltaren injection -- nada... The pain got worse, especially my upper leg was "in fire". 2 visits to ER got me different combinations of pain relievers, without improvement.

A CT lower back scan didn't find the cause.

My orthopedic dr then declared that he has no choice but to prescribe me Percocet... Oh Oh, I knew about Percocet (Oxycodone) and I was wary, very wary. At the pharmacy they advised me that it is addictive, as if I didn't know about it.

I waited another 2 painful days until I decided to take the pill. One hour, 2 hours, 3 hours -- nada. I was hoping for a nirvana, which didn't arrive. I gave Percocet 3 more days, and then went back to the dr. He sent me to another test, which revealed that my femoral nerve was "compressed". I started with a nerve pain med (also highly addictive), which took almost 2 weeks to show results.

The moment I felt better, I began to lower the dosage, fearing another form of addiction.

Lesson learned -- regular pain relievers, even Percocet, don't work when nerve pain is involved....

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 11:27 AM, island lady said:

Yes, loving it!  Got tested for Covid before we left (negative fortunately for both of us...whew!) as required by Alaska travel restrictions.  We are sooooo remote out here, 10 miles from town...last 3 down two track gravel road.  Very quiet.  Lots of Halibut stocked up now for grilling!  🙂  And of course so is the wine.  Sitting on the big deck of the cabin looking out over the bay and three glaciers on the opposite side...surreal!  

Just Beautiful! Enjoy!

20200815_165557 (1).jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Agree. Not long after starting this thread, I woke up one morning with a bad lower back pain, which radiated into my upper leg. I said to myself: "this is not the pain you're usually experiencing after hoovering the carpets..."😒

I treated myself with the "usual suspects" - Advil, paracetamol, even a Voltaren injection -- nada... The pain got worse, especially my upper leg was "in fire". 2 visits to ER got me different combinations of pain relievers, without improvement.

A CT lower back scan didn't find the cause.

My orthopedic dr then declared that he has no choice but to prescribe me Percocet... Oh Oh, I knew about Percocet (Oxycodone) and I was wary, very wary. At the pharmacy they advised me that it is addictive, as if I didn't know about it.

I waited another 2 painful days until I decided to take the pill. One hour, 2 hours, 3 hours -- nada. I was hoping for a nirvana, which didn't arrive. I gave Percocet 3 more days, and then went back to the dr. He sent me to another test, which revealed that my femoral nerve was "compressed". I started with a nerve pain med (also highly addictive), which took almost 2 weeks to show results.

The moment I felt better, I began to lower the dosage, fearing another form of addiction.

Lesson learned -- regular pain relievers, even Percocet, don't work when nerve pain is involved....

I am in excrutiating pain 24/7 due to spinal stenosis and that every disc in my back and neck is herniated.I have had surgery ,physical therapy,eight epidurals ,a trial to see if I am a candidate for a Pain Stimulator,I was not .,Accupuncture,massage therapy and nothing has helped. I cannot take Percocet or any other heavy duty medication because due to also having Parkinson’s I have fallen 36 times nearly every time on my head and I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Vertigo.Percoset and the other meds cause me to get dizzy and fall.I also suffer from 11 other illnesses and the heavy duty meds can offset other problems. So what do I do ? Extra Strength Tylenol 3000 mg a day and 21 hours of bed rest .A wonderful way to live.

On 8/22/2020 at 3:05 PM, davekathy said:

I know what you mean. But for now we'll keep our chins up by keeping our positive attitudes about our  2021 cruises. 🤞 When our final payment dates grow closer and if the state of the current pandemic hasn't improved by then, at that time we'll start to be more concerned if we're going cruising or not in 2021. As we did for our 2020 cruises, we'll let RC and Celebrity decide for us if we are going or not in 2021.

We are heading back to Jackson Hole, West Yellowstone and Island Park in September. We went to Jackson Hole in July. It was a different vibe compared to years past but we adjusted and it was great to get away. 

Nice!!  That area is sooo beautiful!  Enjoy!!  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am in excruciating pain 24/7 ..... A wonderful way to live.

Oy vey....

I had it for more than 2 months (only...) and many times I wished to "go to sleep and never to wake up".

I gave birth twice without epidural, I think of myself as having a high threshold for pain, but the nerve pain was "something else"...

Lenny, I admire you for being such upbeat in the face of such adversity (sorry, in Hebrew I sound better 😒)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Oy vey....

I had it for more than 2 months (only...) and many times I wished to "go to sleep and never to wake up".

I gave birth twice without epidural, I think of myself as having a high threshold for pain, but the nerve pain was "something else"...

Lenny, I admire you for being such upbeat in the face of such adversity (sorry, in Hebrew I sound better 😒)

I go to sleep many nights praying to not wake up.There was a time that I spoke Hebrew but I have forgotten so much .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, singinalot said:

Leaving hubby home to fend for himself and heading to Vegas tonight for a quick girls trip. This will definitely be a different visit than we’re used to, but 109 degree temps Here I Come

Stay safe, especially when indoors!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, singinalot said:

Leaving hubby home to fend for himself and heading to Vegas tonight for a quick girls trip. This will definitely be a different visit than we’re used to, but 109 degree temps Here I Come

Have a great trip.  If you're planning on enjoying any pool time, I suggest getting to the pool early in the morning:

• Like 1