Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 hours ago, Jimbo said:

When we did the remodel for the kitchen , we also got a Ge Profile:

GE Profile™ Series ENERGY STAR® 27.7 Cu. Ft. Smart Fingerprint Resistant French-Door Refrigerator with Keurig® K-Cup® Brewing System

It's great for just the 2 of us, have had no problems with it, in less when we have company we have to bring up ice from the downstairs refrigerator since the new one just can't make enough ice quick enough. The holding bucket just isn't that large, for our model their was no option for a second ice maker. Not a big deal.

Our's does make Coffee with the K-cup machine in the outside door where you get ice and water, t which is nice. So far that is still working perfectly.

Home Depot salesmen did say" Whatever you get just stay away from Samsung Refrigerators, lot's of problems, you don't want one of those."

R48698.jpg

Ours is similar GE Profile, 27.7 cft one but without Keurig.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, h20skibum said:

After 10 months now, she keeps moving forward.  She has entered the phase where she is doing 6 months of oral chemo.  The good thing is that she does that from home.  

It is nice that the kids will keep her busy this summer, as we will.

I think often of how it is going for all of you. I’m certain your extended family here does as well. I wish for the best summer possible for your daughter and your family. 🤗❤️

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2023 at 9:07 PM, TravelGirlinDallas said:

Thanks, Graham! I did turn 50 recently. Not my favorite milestone to reach, but better than the alternative.

Happy Birthday !! Hope you had a fab day 

Sue

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

The round craft ice feature is very cool in that LG model. How long does it take to make the spheres and how many does it make?

When you first get the fridge it takes about 24 hours for the first batch to drop. I think it makes 6-8 at a time. I have never run out. The regular ice maker bucket is not that big. You can run out of cubbed ice fairly quickly if you have a bunch of people over. For us it’s just right.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

When you first get the fridge it takes about 24 hours for the first batch to drop. I think it makes 6-8 at a time. I have never run out. The regular ice maker bucket is not that big. You can run out of cubbed ice fairly quickly if you have a bunch of people over. For us it’s just right.

Sounds like our fridge's ice bucket, makes you wonder what they were thinking.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We're back from our dream family vacation at Club Med Palmiye, Turkey, with a bitter-sweet feeling.

Sweet ---

A year ago our boys asked for a vacation "down the memory lane"....

To make a very long story short, it is usual here, after a long and stressful army service, to save some money after the discharge (there are several incentive places of work for discharged soldiers -- gas stations, agriculture, building, working with elderly) and tour the world, mostly South America, India, the Far East.

The boys took pity on their mom, who after 4 years of sleepless nights while they've done their combat service, was not psychological ready for several months of additional stress, and looked to combine "seeing the world" without unnecessary worries for me.

Both being sea scouts in their youth, they've found a job instructing water sports at Club Med Palmiye, Turkey. DS1 worked there for 2 years, and DS2 for several months, until he completed his training as security man at our embassies, first in Cairo, and then, as a kind of "compensation" for the "difficult environment", back to the "roots" -- Brussels.

They asked to spend our next family vacation where it all started, and to show the spouse and the kids this marvelous place. DS1 has made life long friendships with people all over the world while working there.

Bitter --

We knew before traveling that DS2 and his family will leave us in order to seek a better and less stressful life in Netherlands. August 3rd 😢

We tried to make the most of us being together as a family and bond more with the grandkids. We succeeded.

I have a big hole in my heart, and DH is plain shattered.

The club is very big (I've timed, walking very quickly, 10 mins from our rooms to the reception...), well maintained, with extensive gardening, which DH couldn't stop photographing. 

Some examples --

image.thumb.jpeg.db2cf9009cbd84e4743f5f648ad56ba1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bafb7355331fbb776b943d133da2c90d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8b9122eb509f681e9c95581aa3d0c094.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c24e5e055d928d9f3ff6767efeb2ab7a.jpeg

Ah Dani , so glad you had a lovely holiday but my heart goes out to you with DS2 and family 

travelling abroad to live ❤️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

Sounds like our fridge's ice bucket, makes you wonder what they were thinking.

Exactly what I was thinking. Most of these new refrigerators seem to have more storage space but skimp on the size of the ice maker. Every time we have people over for cocktails I have to buy a extra bag of ice to help make the frozen drinks everyone likes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

May be in 4-5 years time... Let's see if they settle there. He's a lawyer and she's a SW. Both need the language to work. For the moment, DS2 will work for his law office, they're OK with him working from abroad. With the rent they'll have from their apt. here, supposedly they'll make do, until DIL will find some work...

DIL is leaving here loving parents, one brother with 3 kids and one sister. They're a very close knit family and it is very hard on both parts.

I plan to visit, hopefully DH will "break down" too and agree to fly to visit them. For the moment, he's very very angry...

It's hard but hopefully you will have lots of visits. DILs mum lives in Kenya and visits twice a year for a month plus Alex visits her once a year (not this year because of baby Theo) and face-times all the time.

I was sure she would come home for good once her grandchild was born but she loves it so and considers it her home now 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Luckynana said:

And today many Malls are closing or at best, hurting due to online shopping.  Progress??  I still like going to stores.

I agree, but my kids seem to do all their shopping on line even food shopping. Plus WFH is causing a lot of empty town and city centres 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Most of these new refrigerators seem to have more storage space but skimp on the size of the ice maker. Every time we have people over for cocktails I have to buy a extra bag of ice to help make the frozen drinks everyone likes.

The fridge we have downstairs is a side by side, the Icemaker in that one probably takes up almost 1/4 of the freezer space. Makes about 10 to 15 lbs of ice. It's like having a bag of extra ice on hand all the time. 🙂

• Like 5

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

How about Martin’s .? I remember all of the stores you listed In the 70’s we often went by car to your area and went shopping on Grand St.

Martin's does not sound familiar.  Where did you shop on Grand St.?

13 hours ago, h20skibum said:

After 10 months now, she keeps moving forward.  She has entered the phase where she is doing 6 months of oral chemo.  The good thing is that she does that from home.  

It is nice that the kids will keep her busy this summer, as we will.

Continued healing prayers go to your daughter.

12 hours ago, jmh2006 said:

Yes Bonnie!!!  Grew up with all of those stores too.  B. Altman was always a favorite of ours.  We went to Willowbrook Mall which was closer to Montclair than Paramus Park.  Another small local chain in NJ was Hahne's and Bambergers.  Montclair had a Hahne's and I worked their over college breaks.  Shopping was so much better back then!  

Jennifer, whenever we visit our daughter in NJ, Willowbook is the closest mall.

I'm not familiar with Hahne's

I remember Bambergers became Macy's in the Nanuet Mall near us in Rockland County in 1986.

Montclair is a lovely town.

It's going to hit 100 today.  High 90s low 100s for the next 10 days at least, no rain.  2011 we had over 40 consecutive days of over 100 temps, no rain.   Water restrictions turned most lawns brown. 

What I learned about Dallas area weather living here:  When it rains, it STORMS, and when it's hot it's SIZZLING HOT.  

• Like 9

On 6/22/2023 at 7:26 PM, lenquixote66 said:

The wife of one of the people who died is the great grand daughter of a couple who died on the Titanic ,Isidore Strauss and his wife.

That great-great-granddaughter was the wife of Stockton Rush who was the founder of the company Oceangate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2