Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

My husband and I can relate.  We live in the Dallas area and are NOT football fans at all.  Dallas, where football is a religion and HS pep rallies are held during school hours and attendance is mandatory much to the delight of the students. 😄

A story that confirms HS football in Texas is indeed a religion...A town in Texas was growing and needed to build a second high school.  Since separate schools would typically have separate football teams, the town decided to make one school for freshman and sophomore year, and the other school for junior and senior year.  This was done solely (at least as it was told to me) so that they wouldn't need to "dilute" the football talent across two teams.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

@lenquixote66 Happy 57th Anniversary to you and Toby!

We had a very busy weekend. Cristina and her family came up from PA to join in celebrating the shared birthday of SIL Matt and our youngest GD Ellie on Saturday.  A kids party during the day and in the evening we all went bowling which was a ton of fun.  
Yesterday I went to a Jazz Brunch at Ocean House (a fancy resort & restaurant) with a group of dear friends.   We were seated window side, literally overlooking the home (or is it former home?) @Ocean Boy’s famous neighbor.

I’ve been busy doing some redecorating in our spare bedrooms. New bunk beds in the grandsons room to make room for the small crib, plus new paint and area rug.  Granddaughters room will be up next with the crib moving out of that room. 
Also on my agenda this week is beginning a purge of all the closets to hopefully get rid of all that stuff we hold onto “in case we need it someday”.

Stay warm everyone!

Thank you

2 hours ago, NHProud said:

@lenquixote66 Happy anniversary to you and Toby !  Have a great day celebrating with your sweetheart.  

Thank you.In actuality this will be a group celebration this evening.

One of my son in laws birthday which was January 19,my other son in law who is January 31 and Toby’s sister who was January 20.

Everyone and their families will be in my house tonight for dinner.My daughters ordered food from their favorite Italian restaurant and favorite pastry bakery.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

A story that confirms HS football in Texas is indeed a religion...A town in Texas was growing and needed to build a second high school.  Since separate schools would typically have separate football teams, the town decided to make one school for freshman and sophomore year, and the other school for junior and senior year.  This was done solely (at least as it was told to me) so that they wouldn't need to "dilute" the football talent across two teams.

Some of the high school football stadiums in Texas cost over 50 million, my high school in New York City didn’t even have a football team . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

You could be talking about the town we lived in when we first moved to Texas.  Plano.  There were (are) 3 Senior High Schools.  Freshman and Sophs are in "regular" High School. Amazing on sight football practice fields, indoors and outdoors. My daughter graduated from one Senior High and there were over 1,000 seniors graduating with her.  Very long roll call when they were presented with their diplomas!

• Like 4

On 1/15/2024 at 11:30 AM, lenquixote66 said:

One of my best friends from HS was born in Tobago .At age 80 plus he is still working as a Surgeon in NC.

There’s no cut off age for surgeons? Is he actually still doing surgery? 

On 1/15/2024 at 1:05 PM, Sea Dog said:

Since we have posted about mustaches it got me thinking as I have had mine for 40 years, what would I look like without one? Photoshop is better than just shaving. I think I like me with one, what do you think. Charlie did not vote.

IMG_4042.thumb.jpeg.283a9871a54e331d1a7faa3dc0d3184d.jpeg

IMG_4043.thumb.jpeg.ed6e0c7229517eed009df878b0ccba82.jpeg

I look kinda naked without one.

I vote for the shaved look.

• Like 1

Reading about the Texas Religion of High School Football reminds me of the TV Show "Friday Night Lights", probably one of the best written, best acted, all around great but underrated TV shows there ever was. There is a movie by the same name which is a true story but the TV show is mostly fictional, although some of the actors from the movie are on the TV show.  

The first couple of seasons were on NBC but the later seasons were a joint production between NBC & DirectTV, with DirectTV getting to air it first & then NBC at a later date. It was a cost sharing thing & I'm pretty sure I never saw the last season so now I'm off to see if one of the many streaming services I subscribe to have it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Just got a email saying Billy Joel will release a new single on 2/1/2024 , haven’t heard any new music from him in a long time. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, George C said:

Just got a email saying Billy Joel will release a new single on 2/1/2024 , haven’t heard any new music from him in a long time. 

I had to look it up. His last new song was 17 years ago but his last new album was 1993!

I remember reading a long time ago that he was going to stop writing new songs since he felt he reached an age where he thought is was difficult to connect with younger audiences, the kind thay buys new music, plus the grind of the studio. He did say he wanted to compose some classical songs.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Reading about the Texas Religion of High School Football reminds me of the TV Show "Friday Night Lights", probably one of the best written, best acted, all around great but underrated TV shows there ever was. There is a movie by the same name which is a true story but the TV show is mostly fictional, although some of the actors from the movie are on the TV show.  

The first couple of seasons were on NBC but the later seasons were a joint production between NBC & DirectTV, with DirectTV getting to air it first & then NBC at a later date. It was a cost sharing thing & I'm pretty sure I never saw the last season so now I'm off to see if one of the many streaming services I subscribe to have it.

I binge watched it on one of the streaming services well over a year ago, but I'm sorry to say that I can't remember..perhaps Netflix or Prime?  You can probably Google it . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Dinner tonight, chicken thighs. 

IMG_3457.thumb.jpeg.bfbc91a391f5b6a65dc5a09ac7c06f68.jpeg

Looks a little like my dinner tonight, except baby back ribs instead of chicken. 

IMG_0604.thumb.jpeg.39896a24c074989005fd297b61eff6b3.jpeg

You need to add some bacon, cheese and sour cream to those potatoes.  

• Like 4

On 1/19/2024 at 10:22 AM, derorim said:

@ReneeFLL I know you are the Orchid whisperer so I thought I'd share this picture with you. I've killed every Orchid I've ever had, until now. This cutie not only survived, it bloomed again! I kept it on the porch all summer and fall until the nights got too cool, then brought it inside. It must have liked the change in temperature and then bloomed to show its gratitude. Yay!

20240119_100153.thumb.jpg.7e42f1fe79ec8570f67eb38b3620034e.jpg

Very pretty. I love the spotted ones like that.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, George C said:

10 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I had to look it up. His last new song was 17 years ago but his last new album was 1993!

I remember reading a long time ago that he was going to stop writing new songs since he felt he reached an age where he thought is was difficult to connect with younger audiences, the kind thay buys new music, plus the grind of the studio. He did say he wanted to compose some classical songs.

He started off the concert by saying something like, "I have some good news and some bad news.  The bad news is that I don't have any new songs to play.  The good news is that you'll probably know every song that I play.  You won't need to listen to any new music that you've never heard before."  He was right.

• Like 6

On 1/20/2024 at 10:27 AM, BonTexasNY said:

16 degrees here.  No snow, just bright sunshine which warms things slightly.  Going to relax today and enjoy life indoors.  

Yesterday was Jack's birthday which was spent with a bunch of friends for a late lunch, hanging around the restaurant for over 2 hours laughing, eating, drinking, enjoying each other's company.  We had such a great time together (8 of us) that we continued our good time at our house for another few hours.  We just didn't want our good time to end. I love our gang!

Happy Birthday to Jack.

• Thanks 1