Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Beer Hooker was after we moved out of dorms

My last year was in a single room (didn't want a roommate due to student teaching 1st semester). Just my luck that the rest of the floor was basically overly-loud freshmen looking to have a good time away from home. They used to play something called "hall ball" - set up bowling pins (or similar) and knock 'em down with...whatever....not sure if there was alcohol involved or not. Just what I needed around midnight when trying to get some sleep. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow....yeah...we ordred a new dishwasher back in October and, due to covid delays, etc. only got it a few weeks ago. Now have a new washer ordered as of about a month ago so hopefully won't take quite as long. Replacing our first ever washer - Maytag bought in '81. Suffice to say they "don't make 'em like that anymore"! 

Our dishwasher started leaking right after Thanksgiving. WE still haven't received it, so we picked an alternate, and it will be delivered this afternoon. 

Our appliances are white, is that is what we ordered.  We are now getting a stainless. 

35 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Bergen Town Center at the intersection to RT 4 & RT 17 is considered one of the first modern shopping malls in the country when it was built in 1957. A fun fact I just looked up is that at the time, people thought there be no more than 50 shopping malls across the country. Today, I think there are 50 just in Paramus, NJ. LOL

As a child, my parents would drag me there for Christmas shopping. Back then, late 1960's, it was an outdoor mall so, yeah, no fun. In those days, shopping in Rockland County was somewhat limited. Plus, NY charged sales tax on clothing and NJ did not. Which adds up in a family of 4 children.

As an adult, Paramus Park was my shopping mall of choice.  Far less crowded & easy access from the parkway.  Two main criteria for me when shopping.

EDIT: Correction. It is Garden State Plaza, not Bergen Town Center that I was referring to.

I knew you meant Garden State Plaza.  I also loved Paramus Park mall for the reasons you stated. PLUS A&S was one of my fave dept. stores.

Although not in NJ, I always liked walking around Woodbury Commons.

• Like 1

Old dishwasher was that bisque, off-white color - hard to find anymore, so we went with white. Blends in ok. Never been big on stainless. The old Maytag washer and dryer are white, so no problem there.  Funny you mention a leak....our NEW dishwasher turned out to be leaking as soon as the guy installed it. Saturated and ran right through the basement ceiling. Turns out it was a faulty rubber washer at the hose coupling. The one supplied with the dishwasher (NOT from the company...they don't even supply that stuff) was bad - the guy said he's seen this several times now and so they make it a point to not even use what comes with them and instead use their own. Is anything made as well anymore?  

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Bonnie..love the "currently in dry dock" in your signature...lol   That about sums it up. 

Very sad I know. Hope that changes. I'm still working on my DH to book the Bella cruise. Our FL friends would probably join us so we're up to the task.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

Old dishwasher was that bisque, off-white color - hard to find anymore, so we went with white. Blends in ok. Never been big on stainless. The old Maytag washer and dryer are white, so no problem there. 

WE got tired of waiting. Going to get a new fridge too, the one we have is old, so we are going to get a new one anyway. before it dies.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

You beat me to it.  I used to love going to Piermont, eating dinner overlooking the water, meandering through the shops.

I'm in a New York State of Mind.

Back in my college days -  early to mid 80's - Nyack was the place to hang out. Piermont was for the adults. LOL. I haven't been to either place in years but I'd probably choose Piermont now. I guess I'm an adult.  😇

Although I don't think Nyack is as rambunctious now as it was back then.  I've never heard of beer hooker. I guess I traveled in the wrong social circles back then.

13 minutes ago, singinalot said:

just got word my financing officially cleared and our offer for the house in FL was accepted 😭😭😭

oh and they already have a renter for us

things could still go wrong but one step closer! it has not stopped snowing here all month. over it.

Congratulations.  How exciting!

More details (aka photos) please.  I like to live vicariously through others.  How did they get a renter for you? 

21 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Sauvignon Blanc is my wine of choice too.  Do you have a favorite brand?  I’ve found I prefer the New Zealand ones. 

You and me both!!   I fondly refer to my obsession as "Kiwi SB".   Kiwi (nickname for NZ) and SB...self explanatory.  😉   North Part of the South Island to be exact....though we have enjoyed touring the south part of the north island wineries as well, spending our honeymoon there.  🥰

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sheal said:

Are the deer that accustomed to people?  Ours spook at the sound of a kitchen cabinet closing even with the windows shut.

Mine will practically press their noses against the window in the morning and afternoon, waiting for "that nice lady" to come out and hand feed them some dried corn.  😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sheal said:

Are the deer that accustomed to people?  Ours spook at the sound of a kitchen cabinet closing even with the windows shut.

Mine will practically press their noses against the window in the morning and afternoon, waiting for "that nice lady" to come out and hand feed them some dried corn.  😉 

4 hours ago, Keksie said:

Star Trek - The Trouble With Tribbles and WKRP In Cincinnati - The Thanksgiving Episode (As God is my witness I thought turkeys could fly)

Was on a Hawaii cruise many years ago, when they were still filming Star Trek.  George Takei was on board with his domestic partner.  He got on the elevator with us one day and was excited to show us the bead necklaces they made at one of the craft lessons on board.  Made of the Hawaiian "puka beads".  Pretty cool!  🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Our dishwasher started leaking right after Thanksgiving. WE still haven't received it, so we picked an alternate, and it will be delivered this afternoon. 

Our appliances are white, is that is what we ordered.  We are now getting a stainless. 

Love our new Bosch stainless dishwasher.  Very quiet, and does a great job.  🙂 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, island lady said:

Was on a Hawaii cruise many years ago, when they were still filming Star Trek.  George Takei was on board with his domestic partner.  He got on the elevator with us one day and was excited to show us the bead necklaces they made at one of the craft lessons on board.  Made of the Hawaiian "puka beads".  Pretty cool!  🙂 

Super cool.

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Old dishwasher was that bisque, off-white color - hard to find anymore, so we went with white. Blends in ok. Never been big on stainless. The old Maytag washer and dryer are white, so no problem there.  Funny you mention a leak....our NEW dishwasher turned out to be leaking as soon as the guy installed it. Saturated and ran right through the basement ceiling. Turns out it was a faulty rubber washer at the hose coupling. The one supplied with the dishwasher (NOT from the company...they don't even supply that stuff) was bad - the guy said he's seen this several times now and so they make it a point to not even use what comes with them and instead use their own. Is anything made as well anymore?  

I had to buy about $50 worth of hoses, power cords, and connectors for our new washer and dryer.  I asked if I could just use the perfectly good hoses, etc. that are already in place from the old washer/dryer.  Nope.  Need to buy new to ensure that the people installing the new units don't run into any problems.  Sounds like a scam, but at least the new hose are all clean.

After a couple of loads in the new washing machine, we found that clothes were coming out of the washer a bit warm.  They were supposed to be rinsed with cold water.  Yup...the installers connected the hoses wrong, hot to cold and cold to hot.  The cold rinse was using hot water (and the hot water wash was using cold water).  Easy enough fix but really??

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I had to buy about $50 worth of hoses, power cords, and connectors for our new washer and dryer.  I asked if I could just use the perfectly good hoses, etc. that are already in place from the old washer/dryer.  Nope.  Need to buy new to ensure that the people installing the new units don't run into any problems.  Sounds like a scam, but at least the new hose are all clean.

After a couple of loads in the new washing machine, we found that clothes were coming out of the washer a bit warm.  They were supposed to be rinsed with cold water.  Yup...the installers connected the hoses wrong, hot to cold and cold to hot.  The cold rinse was using hot water (and the hot water wash was using cold water).  Easy enough fix but really??

We had same problem when we bought the then new washer and dryer.

5 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Same with a new electric range????

2 hours ago, singinalot said:

just got word my financing officially cleared and our offer for the house in FL was accepted 😭😭😭

things could still go wrong but one step closer! it has not stopped snowing here all month. over it.

Great news!  Congrats.  Things are moving quickly for you.

We spoke to our agent the other day about timing for listing our house in Ohio.  She said that the market is so hot right now, and because we have a nice pool/backyard, that we can expect double digit offers and probably $15K above list.  Everyone seems to want a pool right now to enjoy staying home.  That will help offset what we probably overpaid for our house in Florida.

• Like 2

I got so tired of constantly checking to see if the Aussie 2023 schedule had posted yet, I failed to check right away this morning.  I was busy grocery shopping, doing laundry, washing my little SUV...then finally settled at the computer this morning at 11 am.  

Almost spit out my coffee when I realized they were already posted!!  😮 

Sooo, just finished booking Radiance out of Sydney (was originally supposed to BE on Serenade right now outside Sydney).  😞   2021 Australia is now 2023 for us ...... hopefully a more normal experience by then. 

Got my fingers flying quick and booked four legs.  Boarding in Sydney on 3/17/23, staying on to Honolulu until 4/30/23, which is as far as they have released yet.  Will assume, and hope RCI will follow the norm doing a few Hawaiian islands followed by the TP to Vancouver to start the 2023 Alaska tour.  We will stay on for that and the north/south bound to Seward from there...once again assuming and hoping that is the schedule.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, singinalot said:

Congrats!  Did I miss the part where your buyers appraisal was finished and your old house is now sold?  I hope the best for you.  🙂 

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Nice sunny morning here in the UK.

Pauline has her first Vaccine Jab this afternoon.

6 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

And then we get our first shots (Moderna) at 7:00 tonight.

Let me know how it goes. I'm scheduled to get my first jab tomorrow afternoon @ 2:30. (14:30 for the people in Europe 🙂 )

Moderna as well. Not my first choice, would have preferred J&J or Pfizer in that order.  But I was so happy to get an appointment 2 days after becoming eligible, I jumped at the chance.  No telling how long I'd have to wait. Some placedswere booked thru May while other said check back daily. I don't mind doing that checking cruise and air fares but for vaccines......not so much.

My thinking sure has evolved over the past few months when I said I wouldn't wait for many months just to be sure.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Let me know how it goes. I'm scheduled to get my first jab tomorrow afternoon @ 2:30. (14:30 for the people in Europe 🙂 )

Moderna as well. Not my first choice, would have preferred J&J or Pfizer in that order.  But I was so happy to get an appointment 2 days after becoming eligible, I jumped at the chance.  No telling how long I'd have to wait. Some placedswere booked thru May while other said check back daily. I don't mind doing that checking cruise and air fares but for vaccines......not so much.

My thinking sure has evolved over the past few months when I said I wouldn't wait for many months just to be sure.

Pauline in the vaccine centre now.

I had the Pfizer 4 weeks ago and felt a pain around the injection site 4 hours after injection which lasted 24 hours.

Astrazeneca or Pfizer are the only 2 choices currently in the UK.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3