Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

21 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Do you still fly?  I’m thinking of taking it up again. I only got to about 10 hours in a 152 before running out of daylight during the week (dark going to work, dark coming home from work). I stopped taking lessons and never took it up again. That was about 30 years ago 🤣. There’s an airport about 5 minutes from my house now and the idea of fly ins and couple day trips sounds intriguing. Maybe I’ll play with Flight Simulator for a while and see if this is just a temporary itch to be scratched. 

Hubby got his PPL with reduced hours due he had his glider licence first. Once he got his PPL we had several flying trips in Canada and USA building hours towards his flying instructor licence because it was so much cheaper than flying in the UK 

Flew twice from Ontario to Banff and back again, the local paper even did a story on us.  The cheapest hire was in Florida but you couldn't leave the state so we spent hours just flying up and down

We had a LOT of hair raising adventures 

• Like 4

When I moved to Florida in 1976, I started my lessons. Got my ticket in 1977, and had a grand total of 100 hours, and that was it. Had some other things I would spend my money on, like buying a home. But i had taken a lot of aero courses in college  although my degree was an ME, but I worked for Pratt & Whitney for close to 50 years, and that flying experience   helped in my job a lot.

What I recently found , on YouTube, we videos by pilots who fly single pilot jets. My favorites are Citationmax  and Premier 1 Driver.  P1D in particular . has a Beechcraft Premier, and he spends a lot of time  explaining how his autopilot and electronics functions.  Amazingly different, as you can imagine, from when I was flying.  I did learn at PBI, so I was into the whole ATC environment right from the beginning.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

That sounds like me, but I stopped about 40 years ago. VFR, not instrument, but it was a lot of fun.  

I can’t believe that the plane rental, with fuel included, was only $40/hour.  I wonder what it is now.  

And that was engine time only!  Seemed so easy to fly somewhere RT for a long weekend for $200. I’m guessing it’s now a LOT more. 

13 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

A few pics from this morning.

Started the day as lotto winner, of a free ticket. Jackpot was $77 million Canadian with no taxes. 

IMG_9110.MOV 6.81 MB · 10 downloads

We also were able to sneak up on sleeping Lucy this morning. 

IMG_9112.MOV 40.65 MB · 5 downloads

She’s still mainly asleep at 8:30. 

E54A0FCF-BDD9-497E-9DF7-E896726F4AAA.thumb.jpeg.f67e0618fe89928a4dd047e4e5f57cf6.jpeg

I love Lucy!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

When I moved to Florida in 1976, I started my lessons. Got my ticket in 1977, and had a grand total of 100 hours, and that was it. Had some other things I would spend my money on, like buying a home. But i had taken a lot of aero courses in college  although my degree was an ME, but I worked for Pratt & Whitney for close to 50 years, and that flying experience   helped in my job a lot.

What I recently found , on YouTube, we videos who fly single pilot jets. My favorites are Citationmax  and Premier 1 Driver.  P1D in particular . has a Beechcraft Premier, and he spends a lot of time  explaining hoe his autopilot and electronics functions.  Amazingly different, as you can imagine, from when I was flying.  I did learn at PBI, so I was into the whole ATC environment right from the beginning.

I follow CitationMax. Good videos. Will need to check out P1D. Things do seem much easier with the Nav systems they have today. Even in a 172 with a G1000…set it up on the ground, take off, push a button. When you need to make a change, turn a dial. I guess you still need to land it though. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I still have my license in my wallet, I guess I am proud of it.  Probably shouldn't since in 1977, the FAA used your SSN as you license number. 

You never know when you’ll be flying in a 767 and there will be an announcement that both pilots have suffered food poisoning and they need someone with a pilots license to land the plan. 😜

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Look familiar?

D0BD4D51-BB2A-424A-BF6F-52AE63808422.thumb.jpeg.518c0b29ceb7314c91022b3d1aaf73b8.jpeg

when I worked in Fl, and we have an airport at the plant, a lot of USAF guys would come down for the weekend.  And that loved to show off their F15's and F16's. Then we got moved to CT , and the best they could do was  A380 flyby. Boring.

• Like 1

In the aftermath of Sept 11,  a guy in a C152 got too close to our nuclear powerplants in Ct. I was at home, heard the roar, and told my wife " that's an F15" as I ran outside. I was wrong, there were 2 F15s.  

Edited by mo&fran

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Then yesterday was a long overdue visit to my MIL in Albany, so 3 hours up, 5 hour visit and 3 hours back. 

That sounds a lot like my visits back to Nantucket. Two hrs to get to Hyannis. Then 2.25 hrs. on the boat. A few hrs. on the island then repeat the process in reverse.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, M8VER3 said:

This morning, the slab crew was out setting the footers,  visqueen, and rebar. 

678E33FD-7E41-40E9-9BED-EB034AA422F4.jpeg

8B1DB5A0-5CD7-4BCE-B34B-DEA2D0C1E24F.jpeg

1B2686D2-6C43-4300-BB0D-17226CA71A9A.jpeg

35EB9C6E-7A0A-4C86-83A8-CDEB055A764A.jpeg

F5EB3598-F652-49D5-8C67-8E0EB4DBDFF9.jpeg

CAFE4B88-2F59-4F47-A85E-9CA0FCDEA6D9.jpeg

2055739F-0845-4608-B293-90A5F81A6759.jpeg

3C349391-181E-4495-8BDE-D8165CD1B856.jpeg

1812588E-5DC7-426D-89F7-66C480C411C4.jpeg

A6DAE658-292A-4A5A-B3CC-71D5E3B1B024.jpeg

I haven’t been able to enjoy the excitement of watching progress on our own home since 1984…that’s a long time. Watching construction on a condo building just isn’t the same. 
We watched our DD and SIL’s house starting with the gopher tortoise inspection and relocation, permitting, driving pillars 25 feet into the ground, slab, and thanks to COVID, long waits on various items.

The AC compressors are fully enclosed and water cooled because of salt spray, and the factory in Germany was months behind. The built in whole house generator took four months. 
It seemed like each step actually took 20. 
Beginning to end was over 3 1/2 years!

And various things outside are still slowly being done…waiting on more permitting. 
I’m looking forward to watching yours in all its stages. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I haven’t been posting much, but have been trying to keep up.

No worries.

Our "posting contract" on this thread is very flexible... Just drop by from time to time, saying you, your dearest, pets, work -- are OK.

"Traffic" will slowly and naturally dwindle as cruising resume, as we "knew" it ages ago ....

• Like 3

We went to church this morning.

Afterwards we got coffee's and fish o filets from McDonald's and took them to our usual beach viewing spot.

We then called at a local outlet mall then came home and washed the car.

It is currently 70°F and 16.18pm and we are sitting in the garden.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

16229927024393887455658598930240.jpg

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Afterwards we got coffee's and fish o filets from McDonald's and took them to our usual beach viewing spot.

Filet o fish was my favorite meal at McDonald's. Had to wait for it 3 minutes more... The added mayonnaise was very tasty.

Beautiful garden, beautiful day.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dani negreanu said:

Filet o fish was my favorite meal at McDonald's. Had to wait for it 3 minutes more... The added mayonnaise was very tasty.

Beautiful garden, beautiful day.

Thanks Dani.

Pauline has just brought some ice creams out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks...yet another year added to the old body!  😮  😉 

Think of it as your old body has matured.I know the feeling. Cheers to you on your new trip around the sin and glad you had a wonderful Birthday.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

"Traffic" will slowly and naturally dwindle as cruising resume, as we "knew" it ages ago ....

I for one will be looking forward to the many excellent reviews and live reports.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I haven’t been able to enjoy the excitement of watching progress on our own home since 1984…that’s a long time. Watching construction on a condo building just isn’t the same. 
We watched our DD and SIL’s house starting with the gopher tortoise inspection and relocation, permitting, driving pillars 25 feet into the ground, slab, and thanks to COVID, long waits on various items.

The AC compressors are fully enclosed and water cooled because of salt spray, and the factory in Germany was months behind. The built in whole house generator took four months. 
It seemed like each step actually took 20. 
Beginning to end was over 3 1/2 years!

And various things outside are still slowly being done…waiting on more permitting. 
I’m looking forward to watching yours in all its stages. 

Our building Super told us all our supplies were pre ordered when we signed off on the plans in January. He said the wait went from 3-4 weeks to 16-20 weeks. He said we could still run into shortages but not likely. 

Keeping our fingers crossed. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have a very good neighbors.     My last cat sitter died from covid 2 mos. ago so my other neighbor volunteered to help out.     My previous cat, Splashes passed away last Fall at 21 yrs old, we was used to us traveling.    she knew the routine and I think she got extra spoiled because we traveled.     

This is our first time leaving home since we adopted our cats, Sparky and Eva last November.     Eva seemed to know what was happening when I brought out the luggage.    Sparky didn't seem to notice anything different till yesterday morning when our cars were all packed and ready to leave he wouldn't leave me alone he kept following me everywhere, getting under my feet, meowing, etc. etc.     I just spoke with my neighbor and she said everyone had their breakfast and now outside for their morning stroll before the 90's and humidity hit there this afternoon. 

I will definitely buy my neighbor a gift for her help, I promised I would at least bring her some fresh made fudge.      She thinks she owes me since I snow blowed and shoveled her driveway with our many snow storms this winter, but I owe her.

I had neighbors like that in NY.  We used to help each other out with shoveling when the snow plows were late and we had to get out.  One time, my neighbor Elliot braved hurricane winds and rain to help us plug a hole in our basement that was pouring rain in like a water hose was turned on.  That family was devastated when we moved to Texas.  Of course after a year or two we lost touch. 🙁

• Like 1