Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

36 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

For those of you who know anything about gardening, and hydrangeas in particular, am I supposed to cut back those dead branches?  I’ve googled and find articles referencing “old wood”, “new wood” ( ahem, no jokes please!) and whether or not they should be cut so as not to stunt blooms next year. 

FDA3AFB4-8E01-4258-AE8B-3906F29577AD.jpeg

You should cut them back if they aren't growing any leaves. In CA, hydrangeas are on a 2 year cycle, with full bloom in the second year. So every 2 years, we cut all of the plant stalks off all the way to the base. The following year, they will have some blooms and full blooms in year 2.  

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

Would never go camping, only time I slept in a tent was during basic training in the army, my idea of roughing it is no room service.

My husband's idea of roughing it, is staying in a 3 star hotel.  I'm with him on that.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

For those of you who know anything about gardening, and hydrangeas in particular, am I supposed to cut back those dead branches?  I’ve googled and find articles referencing “old wood”, “new wood” ( ahem, no jokes please!) and whether or not they should be cut so as not to stunt blooms next year. 

FDA3AFB4-8E01-4258-AE8B-3906F29577AD.jpeg

Not a gardener one bit.  But I did cut down the branches once they were done flowering and leaves were gone (during fall). Someone told me to do that so that the plant can flower. It did. The hydrangeas in my yard flower every two or years, not every year. Cannot figure that out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cruise wizard said:

I wish that I still had them and my 1961 Ford Galaxie Sunliner convertible.............such great memories!!!!

My father had a couple of Ford Galaxie back in the 1960's. Nothing fun like a convertible. Basic sedan and station wagons. A 1964 Galaxie XL he bought a week or two before I was born and brought me home from the hospital in. No car seat back then. Heck, seat belts  might have been an option. A 1969 Galaxie 500 station wagon which would eventually become my car when I turned 16. With a 390 CI engine, it had no problem embarrassing Datsun 280ZX turbos and the "Smokey and Bandit" style Trans Ams of the day.🙂

FYI. A restored 1961 Galaxie convertible will set you back 35-45 grand. 

If they don't have any leaves on the stalks by now I do cut them back, at least to where you can not see them.  And then in the fall when all the leaves are gone I rummage through the plant and hack the half branches back.  I hate the way they collect the leaf debris.

Old wood vs. new wood.  Old style Hydrangeas such as the "Nikko Blue" only bloom on old wood so I give them plenty of time to sprout.  The newer plants such as Everlasting Summer can bloom on old vs. new wood.  I was told you could cut them right down and they will bloom anyway. I don't, in fear they might retaliate and produce no flowers.

I have a couple of bushes that are temperament.  One that hasn't bloomed in years did so last year in a totally different color (used to be dark purple).  It must have know I was going to dig it up.  This year I'm not seeing any buds, what a surprise.  It knows how to play me.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

My father had a couple of Ford Galaxie back in the 1960's. Nothing fun like a convertible. Basic sedan and station wagons. A 1964 Galaxie XL he bought a week or two before I was born and brought me home from the hospital in. No car seat back then. Heck, seat belts  might have been an option. A 1969 Galaxie 500 station wagon which would eventually become my car when I turned 16. With a 390 CI engine, it had no problem embarrassing Datsun 280ZX turbos and the "Smokey and Bandit" style Trans Ams of the day.🙂

FYI. A restored 1961 Galaxie convertible will set you back 35-45 grand. 

OMG............I paid $1200 for it. Robins egg blue............loved it!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

My husband's idea of roughing it, is staying in a 3 star hotel.  I'm with him on that.

I'm with you both.  Ever stay in a La Quinta?  I think the beds of made of granite.

Edited by Sheal
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sheal said:

My father used to have a few sports cars when we were young (5 or 6).  Our seats were the trunk? of a corvette.  "Go on kids, squeeze into the back".

The gold old days.  My uncle lived on Cape Cod and would take us cousins out on the dunes near Provincetown in his pickup truck.  We'd all ride in the bed of the truck and loved getting tossed around as he drove. 

Edit: This was early/mid 70s.  Probably very illegal today.

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sheal said:

My father used to have a few sports cars when we were young (5 or 6).  Our seats were the trunk? of a corvette.  "Go on kids, squeeze into the back".

In 1959 my parents drove from RI to CA with 2 year old me sitting between them in the front seat, propped up on phone books so I could see out the windows to not get carsick 😬. No seat belts back then. Not excusing it but that’s just they way it was. 

5 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

The gold old days.  My uncle lived on Cape Cod and would take us cousins out on the dunes near Provincetown in his pickup truck.  We'd all ride in the bed of the truck and loved getting tossed around as he drove. 

We did this too. Great fun.

Except one time we were at a stop light. I had to knock on the window to get my dad's attention.

"Dad, Glen fell onto the road."

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

In 1959 my parents drove from RI to CA with 2 year old me sitting between them in the front seat, propped up on phone books so I could see out the windows to not get carsick 😬. No seat belts back then. Not excusing it but that’s just they way it was. 

I think I was in a in a bassinet (could have been a cardboard box for all I know) when my parents made the trek back from my birthplace in San Jose, CA back to RI after the family's first earthquake experience.  No seat belts holding me in either.

Speaking of pick up trucks, we routinely rode in the back in the mid 70's.  We thought it was so much fun.  Up until about 5 years ago we could still get away with it on Block Island. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We did this too. Great fun.

Except one time we were at a stop light. I had to knock on the window to get my dad's attention.

"Dad, Glen fell onto the road."

My mother used to do the knocking to tell us to sit down.  None of us actually fell out.

I hope Glen was ok!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Edit: This was early/mid 70s.  Probably very illegal today.

We always had a station wagon when the kids were young -  big old Pontiacs and Buicks. The kids (2 boys) always wanted to be in the cargo area and stick their feet out of the roll down window..........many sneakers and shoes were lost (so now you know how one shoe is found on the road / highway)!!!!! When we moved from Upstate NY to Georgia - our youngest (1 yo) was in a fold up playpen in the cargo area..............all the way.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

My wife had 4 siblings, so her spot in the car was the shelf behind the rear seat.

You mean the shelf that some people like to put their beanie baby collection on?  LOL

44 minutes ago, cruise wizard said:

We always had a station wagon when the kids were young -  big old Pontiacs and Buicks. The kids (2 boys) always wanted to be in the cargo area and stick their feet out of the roll down window..........many sneakers and shoes were lost (so now you know how one shoe is found on the road / highway)!!!!! When we moved from Upstate NY to Georgia - our youngest (1 yo) was in a fold up playpen in the cargo area..............all the way.

That reminds me of the station wagon my parent's friends used to own.  It had sitting in the back like a hot tub.  OK, no quite but it had seating that formed what amounted to a 3 sided pit where we all crammed our feet.  More good times riding in the back with the window down. 

1 hour ago, Sheal said:

I think I was in a in a bassinet (could have been a cardboard box for all I know) when my parents made the trek back from my birthplace in San Jose, CA back to RI after the family's first earthquake experience.  No seat belts holding me in either.

Speaking of pick up trucks, we routinely rode in the back in the mid 70's.  We thought it was so much fun.  Up until about 5 years ago we could still get away with it on Block Island. 

Curious, what made them choose RI to move to?

We were from RI but my Dad was being transferred to Camp Pendleton CA by the Army.  

Edited by Momof3gurlz

@singinalot  Your photos hooked me in, now that I am home I will check out the video blog.  The stories has me hooked, between Alfred Packer and Baby Doe.  Talk about a rags to riches and back to rags again.  Kind of sad, especially about her daughter's murder. 

Just now, Momof3gurlz said:

Curious, what made them choose RI to move to?

We were from RI but my Dad was being transferred to Camp Pendleton CA by the Army.  

Funny, just last week I just asked my uncle why they moved.  He shrugged his shoulders and said "you got me".   His aunt and uncle were already out there.  I believe my father worked in one of the auto factories.  The earthquake combined with homesickness put an end to that adventure.

• Like 1