Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

21 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I am going to attempt to dispel the butterfish theory of what happens after you eat it.  I practically grew up eating smoked butterfish and never had nor any of my family ever had those nauseating symptoms. That must have been one "blechy" thread.

Maybe the smoking of them helped to reduce their "effect".  If so, it would help to reduce the ring of fire😉 others experienced. 

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

Have spent a lot of time camping in the "land yacht" at various state parks.  Indeed we have seen that pop up set up, on cars/SUVS/trucks....and even on little trailers pulled behind motorcycles.  The tall ones would freak me out if I were to "roll out of bed" in the middle of the night...eeeekk!!  😮 

I’m not a camper. But if I had to, this seems better than a tent to me. At least you’re up & away from creepy crawly things!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I’m not a camper. But if I had to, this seems better than a tent to me. At least you’re up & away from creepy crawly things!

Indeed....all the crawly things...snakes/spiders/ants/scorpions/rats/raccoons/skunks/mice/chipmunks/squirrels....and bears!!  😮 

We get the biggest kicks out of those little "tear drop" trailers that are just enough to crawl into to sleep, and has a "hatch back" in the rear which is the camp kitchen.  Once again better than sleeping on the ground.  😉 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Indeed....all the crawly things...snakes/spiders/ants/scorpions/rats/raccoons/skunks/mice/chipmunks/squirrels....and bears!!  😮 

We get the biggest kicks out of those little "tear drop" trailers that are just enough to crawl into to sleep, and has a "hatch back" in the rear which is the camp kitchen.  Once again better than sleeping on the ground.  😉 

My husband wants a teardrop trailer. Fortunately, the company that he has in mind  is booking into 2022; I’m hoping that he may have forgotten this desire by then.

It’s probably my daughter’s fault. She is pregnant- Chris wants to see his grandson, but is quite allergic to dogs. Amanda and Noel have a beautiful German Shepherd who has just had 8 puppies (it was a planned pregnancy!). Chris would like to pull up, park in the driveway, and be able to retreat to a dog free space.

Oh dear. Having written that, it makes sense. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Or at that height, have you just laid yourself out on the buffet table for the bear as a midnight snack? LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, island lady said:

As is typical along the seaside in "Downeast" Maine....yesterday was sunny and 72...today...57 with fog and drizzle.  

20210615_092503.jpg

That's pretty much what Maine looked like when we were there... it was July and cold!

IMG_3274.JPG

• Like 1

I am sure you must be following Birds AOS cruise report.  Bird is doing a much better job than I could next week. I have never posted pictures on CC,  I use my laptop and I do know how to transfer photos between the two,  but can be a PIA to do. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mo&fran said:

I am sure you must be following Birds AOS cruise report.  Bird is doing a much better job than I could next week. I have never posted pictures on CC,  I use my laptop and I do know how to transfer photos between the two,  but can be a PIA to do. 

I've done it both ways, but if you take pics on your phone, just open CC through chrome or any other browser on your phone and attach pictures that way. It's pretty easy. 

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Would never go camping, only time I slept in a tent was during basic training in the army, my idea of roughing it is no room service.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, George C said:

Would never go camping, only time I slept in a tent was during basic training in the army, my idea of roughing it is no room service.

That is why we had to buy the "land yacht".   Bucky spent two tours in Vietnam in the mud, swamp in a little tent...if lucky.  Many times was just the army blanket over his head.   He would never consider tent camping after that.  😉 

The land yacht (AKA motor home) has full bedroom, 2 bathrooms, four TVS, washer dryer, electric fireplace, 2 A/C units, and of course full kitchen.  Really roughing it there.  😄 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, island lady said:

That is why we had to buy the "land yacht".   Bucky spent two tours in Vietnam in the mud, swamp in a little tent...if lucky.  Many times was just the army blanket over his head.   He would never consider tent camping after that.  😉 

The land yacht (AKA motor home) has full bedroom, 2 bathrooms, four TVS, washer dryer, electric fireplace, 2 A/C units, and of course full kitchen.  Really roughing it there.  😄 

Yes but no room service 😁😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, George C said:

Yes but no room service 😁😁

Except I love to cook.  😉 

Funny thing is that is the one thing I miss when we are on longer cruises....yeah...call me weird.  🤭

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Funny thing is that is the one thing I miss when we are on longer cruises....yeah...call me weird.  🤭

OK..............WEIRD..........from your friends Gary & Mean Mary.............you asked for it!!!!!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

You only want a bit of butter fish. If too much is consumed it comes with a risk…

"Butterfish or Escolar cannot metabolize the wax esters (Gempylotoxin) naturally found in its diet. ... The gastrointestinal symptoms, called "keriorrhea", caused by these wax esters may include oily orange diarrhea, discharge, or leakage from the rectum that may smell of mineral oil.

a little further reading about it…

These esters are called gempylotoxin, and this is what gives the flesh of escolar its oily texture. The downside is that these esters are are very similar to castor or mineral oil, and when full portions of escolar are consumed, they can cause gastrointestinal symptoms.

One can imagine the fun had on CC with this being served at the Windjammer.  

Gross...leakage from your rectum is never a good thing.....no butterfish for me

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

A lot of times I will email photos from my phone to myself so I open/download save on my laptop.

Bird is doing a great job with his live of the AOS sailing.    Looking forward to many more live reviews this summer.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, island lady said:

I, too, love to cook and enjoy cooking/grilling at the shore too but when I am on a cruise I don't miss cooking or cleaning at all.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Me before a vacation:  “ I can’t wait to go out to eat all the time & not cook!”

Me after 10 days on vacation: “ I can’t wait for a home cooked meal!”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

I agree Bird is doing a great job and I’m loving the report.  Really makes me want to book something, but I guess I still have some concerns if we were to test positive.  I hope you’ll do a report from your cruise, even if it’s without pictures. Seems that now we’re seeing some trip reports, I can’t get enough! (Followed one of the 1st Celebrity as well)

For those of you who know anything about gardening, and hydrangeas in particular, am I supposed to cut back those dead branches?  I’ve googled and find articles referencing “old wood”, “new wood” ( ahem, no jokes please!) and whether or not they should be cut so as not to stunt blooms next year. 

FDA3AFB4-8E01-4258-AE8B-3906F29577AD.jpeg

3 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Maybe the smoking of them helped to reduce their "effect".  If so, it would help to reduce the ring of fire😉 others experienced. 

So sorry for those experiencing it but laughing @ ring of fire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, island lady said:

As is typical along the seaside in "Downeast" Maine....yesterday was sunny and 72...today...57 with fog and drizzle.  Good time to go shopping!  Heading out for groceries, post office, hardware store, and of course....the "Lobstore" as they are called for fresh fish for dinner tonight..  😉 

Comparing pictures:

20210614_133117 (1).jpg

20210615_092503.jpg

Welcome to New England!  At least you knew what you were getting into.  I remembered the cruises that got diverted from Bermuda to New England.  Pretty upset crowd. 

BTW, that Butterfish was right up there with the starfish thread.  Not sure how I missed it.  Reminds me of the Alli weight loss product.  Eat any fat and risk the consequences.