Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

I find the smartest people are the ones who recognise that they are not the smartest person around. I was in the investment industry for years and the smartest investor I knew  (he is a billionaire now) always said he would only hire people for his firm who were smarter than he was. 

In fact he hired one of my best friends in the business. But he never hired me. 

No worries though, I was smart enough to invest in his firm. 

The same is true of good leaders.  They recognize where they are strong AND where they are weak...and hire people to complement their weakness.  The important part, and often the difficult part, is that they must also listen to the people that they hire instead of assuming that they have all of the right answers.

• Like 3

On 6/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Last evening it cleared here around 6PM and I decided to take a ride to Pt. Judith to get some clam cakes at Iggy's. Galilee was totally socked in with fog. Could barely see the Block Island ferry enter the harbor through the breakwater.

I'm going for a bike ride in a few minutes. The weather map better be right about no rain.🤨

From those 2-3 days of cold, fog, drizzle...to bright sunshine and record heat wave right now. Was 89 up here in Milbridge, even right on the direct ocean!!  😮  Portland area got up near 100!!  

Was totally surprised and not expecting...to have A/C at rental #3 here.  It was not listed as having it, but I am glad they do.  Unusual in Maine to have it.  But this is a very new house.  

Sure makes sleeping better!  Cooling down again a bit by tomorrow.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 5

On 6/27/2021 at 12:07 PM, ownedbypets said:

Luckily I don't remember eating squirrel , only the stories. My dad was an avid hunter so we had rabbit, rattlesnake, frog legs, wild boar, venison, duck, doves and anything else that he wanted to try. I ate very little of it because I always saw the face when he brought it home. I ate a lot of PBJ.

My Dad used to hunt "barn Pidgeon" at the request of a farmer friend.  He would cook them up...ughh...refused to try those.  But he was like your Dad...pretty much hunted everything.  

Have never tried Rattlesnake...but I hear it's not bad!  😉 

On 6/27/2021 at 12:33 PM, helen haywood said:

I always say if I’d lived in the time when I would be expected to wring the neck of the chicken, pluck it etc…I’d have been a vegetarian.

Used to watch my Grandma (who had 11 children and lived on a big farm) "do up" the chicken for Sunday dinner.  Favorite "chopping" block outside, then sat in the huge farm country kitchen with a big bucket to pluck the feathers.  

When I used to cook the family meals when I was a kid, I loved to cook whole chicken.  When I served it, my Dad would look at me and ask "Where is the liver?"  (Which was, and is...a favorite of both of us).  I told him this chicken is of a species that was born without one.  burrrrp!  😄 

• Haha 2

On 6/27/2021 at 2:06 PM, bobmacliberty said:

I'm back, and moving day is now behind us.  Crazy, very tiring last few days.  I think I previously mentioned that we moved DD26's stuff into a storage unit since she is moving into a new apartment on July 1.  They were able to get into her new apartment on the 23rd, so we moved her stuff from the storage unit into her new apartment the day before the movers came to our house.  To recap, that was 3 different U-Haul truck rentals on June 10th, 12th, 23rd moving hide-a-bed couches, headboards, armoires, and other heavy stuff.  I'm to old for this...

The last couple of days of packing our house were a mad scramble.  We thought we had plenty of time but kept finding more stuff hidden in various nooks and crannies in our house.  We saved our kitchen for last, packing it the morning of the 24th...the same day that the movers came.  We figured that we had already made their job easier but putting the rest of the house in boxes so with their help, we should be able to pack the kitchen quickly.  They said that packing was a separate service and they were only supposed to move things from the house to the truck.  While they started moving boxes, I made a quick trip to Lowes for more boxes and bubble wrap.  Got the whole kitchen packed in a couple of hours but have no idea what went into which box.  We had a Junk King truck show up after the movers left to take away anything that was still in the house (and wasn't being left there on purpose for the buyers).  It's a little bit expensive but highly recommended if you have things in your house that you just want to disappear with no effort on your part.

We cleaned most of the house after the Junk King truck left but ran out of energy and crashed at a nearby hotel.  Up early the next day (closing day) to finish the cleaning.  We closed at noon on Saturday and then drove to Clinton, SC for another night in a hotel.  Drove the rest of the way to Florida yesterday in some of the worst traffic I've seen in a while.  Everyone in the US must have been driving south yesterday.  Have I mentioned how much I hate the 2 lane highways in SC?  They just can't handle high volumes of cars.  Lots of literal stop and go on I-26 and I-95.  I was so happy to see the "Welcome to Georgia" sign and 3 lanes on I-95.  Traffic headed northbound on I-26 from Georgia into SC was backed up for miles. I felt for them.

When we finally made it to our (now only) house in Florida, we went for fresh seafood pizza and fish tacos, a local IPA and a Sauvignon Blanc, with a view of the ocean.  We then slept for 10 hours!

Congrats!!  I most definitely know the feeling.  Ex husband and I did the same thing coming from Michigan to Florida way back in 1980.   But we moved ourselves after selling off a lot of our stuff.  

Still had to rent the biggest U-Haul truck we could find.  We were much younger then, with strong backs.  😉

Sooo nice to have it all done...I am happy for you!  It will all come together now!  And welcome to Florida neighbor!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 6:27 PM, bobmacliberty said:

I took a few pictures.   Here’s I-26 in SC approaching I-95. Dead stopped (allowing me to safely take the pic while “driving”). 

1AB34527-5A01-4828-A653-E73111E7500E.thumb.jpeg.aea5f7cf82c989244d3d040cc5917952.jpeg

And I-95 a little south of the I-26 interchange. “Cruising” at 6 mph. 

976BB92F-D61F-439C-B597-DB7FB6BDD18B.thumb.jpeg.6a3157f2581dd2cb2fea9fb2dc892992.jpeg

And finally, here is the the line of traffic headed northbound from Georgia into SC. This is about 3 miles south of the border and the backup stretched for another couple of

miles. Ouch.  
F0339B55-AF1B-40AE-89B3-DBA367991E28.thumb.jpeg.b9fa77e1a9b6ee258deadecf25fbd72e.jpeg

I totally agree with you.  When we used to do our annual migration up to Maine in the "Land Yacht"...that stretch of I-95 was the worst!  Awful road and only the 2 lane.  My Dad live in SC.

He told us the Governor refused Fed assistance to fix the road and do four lane like FL and GA did.  

😞 

On 6/27/2021 at 7:28 PM, Luckynana said:

I just asked Jim about the betel nut..he said the Vietnamese used to take it to help with their pain from their rotting teeth.   Jim was in the jungles, nowhere near the cities that had street vendors...

Bucky went into the city on his R&R during the rare times he could climb out of the jungle.   He actually loved the street vendor food.  

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 11:05 AM, BonTexasNY said:

It's funny how conditioned we are to turn our noses up at food we are unaccustomed to eat. Then I thought that we eat chicken at least 2-3 times a week,  Not a pleasant and appetizing looking animal when alive. 🐔  It's all subjective.  But....squirrel??? :classic_huh:

When you're poor you feed your family whatever you can get. He love to hunt, was a student, and lived in Atlanta. I was a baby so I don't remember eating it but I know both sets of my grandparents were appalled and offered to care packages and money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

My Dad used to hunt "barn Pidgeon" at the request of a farmer friend.  He would cook them up...ughh...refused to try those.  But he was like your Dad...pretty much hunted everything.  

I do love frog legs, but refused everything else. I remember my dad not being able to eat Muskrat because of the smell.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Oh boy. Grab a drink. A big one.

A great synopsis. Well done because it was complicated. Captain Sandy while legally right to fire Hannah for not disclosing prescription drugs. I think the whole thing could of been handled better by everyone. Malia is the one who really looks bad in this one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I tried rattlesnake appetizer on once, it was ok.  Nothing to write home about.

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The same is true of good leaders.  They recognize where they are strong AND where they are weak...and hire people to complement their weakness.  The important part, and often the difficult part, is that they must also listen to the people that they hire instead of assuming that they have all of the right answers.

Well said Bob!

On 6/27/2021 at 9:06 PM, Ocean Boy said:

I much prefer pumping my own gas. Isn't that illegal in NJ? What is the reasoning for that?

As far as we know, it's a state regulation; also, Jim said Jersey girls are prima donnas..lol.  only kidding.  This girl here (me) just spent 4 days power-washing, sanding, and painting our deck.  I mowed the lawn in our back yard yesterday.  Phew!  I'm done!!!!!!  

ps..I love working outdoors.  Much prefer it to inside...😁

• Like 3

On 6/28/2021 at 7:49 AM, DaniDanielle said:

On our way to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan for annual transplant checkup.  Such a hot day to go😷Hope we get home before the real heat sets in.

Dani..good luck!!  Jim had his open heart surgery at Columbia Presbyterian in Manhattan back in 2013.  Best hospital!!  They were wonderful there.  He hasn't been back there since his surgery, he sees his cardiologist on SI twice a year for his stress tests and checkup.  He's just been cleared for knee surgery!!!

• Like 3