Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

17 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I don't know where this location is, but I don't think I ever saw private homes built with cinder blocks?  In NY and TX all I see is wood??

This is central Florida.  Most of south Florida homes are CBS construction (concrete block stucco).   Wood is not good where there is a lot of heat, humidity, and termites.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We have a long list....

"Our" preferred time to entertain is summer, on our veranda.

I say "our" because I don't cook. DH is doing all the cooking, and in the summer, he's grilling, and everyone seems to like being invited to a BBQ....

So it's easier for "us" than in the winter, where you have to actually cook a "real" meal....

Some good quality meat, hummus, sesame spread, salads, and presto -- dinner is served 😁

Definitely agree, always nice and easy to do outdoor dining with bbq during the summer. If I can get away with using heavy duty paper plates that is a plus too.

Always seems like a lot more work for indoor dining.

On 6/16/2021 at 6:56 PM, dani negreanu said:

Always is the key word 😉

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I don't know where this location is, but I don't think I ever saw private homes built with cinder blocks?  In NY and TX all I see is wood??

of concrete block homes. Our first two houses were. I always thought I could tell the difference between them and our third house which was frame. 

1 hour ago, mafig said:

In our area of SW Florida, it's cinder blocks.

In Northeast and Central Florida it’s concrete blocks. 
Cooler in summer, warmer in winter, and not as much food for termites. 
I think possibly more wood or stucco over wood, but still plenty of concrete block homes. 

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

It's the norm here. The second floor will be wood frame

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

In Northeast and Central Florida it’s concrete blocks. 
Cooler in summer, warmer in winter, and not as much food for termites. 
I think possibly more wood or stucco over wood, but still plenty of concrete block homes. 

Block is also good for Hurricanes 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mafig said:

In the early 70s my new born son was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. 

What a terrible terrible diagnosis to receive....

So glad you've found out it was the wrong one.

I'm all for 2nd and even 3rd opinion.

Most of our circle of friends are physicians, and they are upfront saying they don't know it all.

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

This is central Florida.  Most of south Florida homes are CBS construction (concrete block stucco).   Wood is not good where there is a lot of heat, humidity, and termites.

Got it thank you.  I hope you enjoyed your cruise!

@John&LaLa  @jagsfan Thank you for the info also!

I HATE when I ask a question and someone tells me to google the answer.

@DaniDanielleSo glad your appointment went well.  I'm sure you'll get a good new doctor to carry on.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

What a terrible terrible diagnosis to receive....

So glad you've found out it was the wrong one.

I'm all for 2nd and even 3rd opinion.

Most of our circle of friends are physicians, and they are upfront saying they don't know it all.

Thank you.  It was a long time ago and I haven't thought about that time in a long time.  Typing that post brought up so many old memories.  So I googled the name of his original pediatrician.  Found that he passed away in 2018.  He studied at both Harvard and Yale .....and even so his diagnosis was so wrong.  I remember him having tears in his eyes when he gave me his diagnosis.  I also remember seeing disappointment when I told him his diagnosis was wrong.  Never forgot that.

Anyway, my son is fine.....and he has two beautiful, healthy sons.   

• Like 7

1 minute ago, mafig said:

Thank you.  It was a long time ago and I haven't thought about that time in a long time.  Typing that post brought up so many old memories.  So I googled the name of his original pediatrician.  Found that he passed away in 2018.  He studied at both Harvard and Yale .....and even so his diagnosis was so wrong.  I remember him having tears in his eyes when he gave me his diagnosis.  I also remember seeing disappointment when I told him his diagnosis was wrong.  Never forgot that.

Can't believe your original pediatrician's disappointment but so glad he was wrong.

I don't talk about this online but your story struck a cord. My grandson was thought to have CF.  Wasn't growing, gaining weight, had pneumonia, etc.  Pediatrician was sure that's what he had.  He gave my daughter info on CF, resources, etc. Tests came back inconclusive, so they got a 2nd opinion, more tests.   I bawled my eyes out when I got the good news that tests were negative.  That was 7 years ago.  He's 13 now.  My daughter called a few days ago to tell me he gained 11 pounds and grew 4 inches since his last well visit. More tears of joy, AND he loves playing basketball and he's darn good at it.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

On our way to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan for annual transplant checkup.  Such a hot day to go😷Hope we get home before the real heat sets in.

Best wishes for today.🤞

Graham.

7 hours ago, mek said:

I love hydrangeas.  I have a huge bush by my kitchen door and for some reason, this year I have both pink and blue flowers on the same plant.  That's never happened before - always been pink.

This was our Hydrangea's last year.

A late frost has really delayed this year's blooms so far.

Graham.

IMG_20190710_214502.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I believe this is Rory's(M8) new house that John is kindly keeping us updated as Rory cannot post.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pstone1 said:

We were back in Jersey at my brother’s a couple of weeks ago.  It was hard to sit in the car and wait for the Attendant, when I could have jumped out and pumped the tank full in a few minutes.

Stopping at gas stations on the Garden State Parkway or Turnpike can really test a person's patience as it can take forever ( really 2-3 minutes) for the attendant to come around on a busy weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Lisa is. Owen is looking forward to the day he can. 

When my daughter turned 16, I had one of the first 5.0 Mustangs that were performance cars.  My State Farm agent asked my to sign an agreement that I would not let her  drive the car.  I never actually did that, but she never got to drive the car. Instead , I bought a beater for her to drive.  It got destroyed in an accident. Thank God for seat belts, she and her friend were ok. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, mafig said:

You are in good hand with Columbia Pres.

In the early 70s my new born son was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis. 

25 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

My grandson was thought to have CF.  Wasn't growing, gaining weight, had pneumonia, etc. 

Learning something new from this thread every day ... I was so sure the diagnosis of CF is very "clear cut", due to its quite distinctive characteristics, like salty sweat and recurring pneumonias...

Wrong diagnosis and inconclusive results are new to me.

And, on a whole different note, cinder blocks are used in Florida !! (as well as in Israel). Same climate?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

When my daughter turned 16, I had one of the first 5.0 Mustangs that were performance cars.  My State Farm agent asked my to sign an agreement that I would not let her  drive the car.  I never actually did that, but she never got to drive the car. Instead , I bought a beater for her to drive.  It got destroyed in an accident. Thank God for seat belts, she and her friend were ok. 

I’m considering leasing a cheap car with a good crash rating. I had to sign a waiver once for a specific car, that said I would not take it to the race track. So far so good. 

• Like 5

Feels like 36C/95F right now. Some garden shots, as we are relaxing by the pool.  

The hydrangeas are coming along. 

E643440C-9A3E-44B4-AE57-D44CC6E0B68E.thumb.jpeg.584238d907316959958478010569e081.jpeg

E20E8B77-7B3D-4C65-9097-542590576027.thumb.jpeg.a346ad5f7ad9c7b003dc1fc8424574e4.jpeg

CB282D56-B065-4882-ABD5-B0E505DD4C7E.thumb.jpeg.a37c3b7303a946f49fab4572b05a410c.jpeg

The Oak Leaf hydrangeas are coming too.  

D14B9D00-C922-4E3A-BF88-54FC0F64A63E.thumb.jpeg.ce52c92246ac5d4c4fa5177825b6cd80.jpeg

The grasses behind the fire pit are doubled in height in two weeks. 

0668BA29-EC4B-44D8-BF1F-ACCC7F1F9256.thumb.jpeg.f8db6025a0f031ddad99d63607ec9458.jpeg

Even Lucy is moving to find greater shade. 

915B51E6-CE9E-465C-A3E7-427407ED3BE0.thumb.jpeg.1c9272afa1518edede0042a50d20ad40.jpeg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, mafig said:

53 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Can't believe your original pediatrician's disappointment but so glad he was wrong.

I don't talk about this online but your story struck a cord. My grandson was thought to have CF.  Wasn't growing, gaining weight, had pneumonia, etc.  Pediatrician was sure that's what he had.  He gave my daughter info on CF, resources, etc. Tests came back inconclusive, so they got a 2nd opinion, more tests.   I bawled my eyes out when I got the good news that tests were negative.  That was 7 years ago.  He's 13 now.  My daughter called a few days ago to tell me he gained 11 pounds and grew 4 inches since his last well visit. More tears of joy, AND he loves playing basketball and he's darn good at it.

It’s wonderful to hear that you both had positive outcomes for your family!  💜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1