Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Does it include laundry??? If so, I'll waitlist myself 😉

HAHA There's a long waitlist.  Apparently these cruises are very popular.  At those prices it should include everything. 

And I detest folding clean stuff after it's washed.  At least our current washing machine doesn't eat socks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

@BonTexasNY I have never done a review before and I don’t think I would be very good. I’ll be following along with others as John does his. I might post a comment or so, but not really sure.

A comment or so works very well. I'm sure John will post a review but always good to get another perspective.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

So sorry, Lenny. Hopefully, the delay will not impact your wife's health.

The surgeon is not alone, sadly. It seems that the efficiency against the Delta variant has been cut in more than half, according to studies here.

However, it remains highly efficient against a serious form of Covid....

Kol tuv, 

Covid cases have quadrupled in the month of July in the US and those are only those tested. I am hearing personally of quite a few double vaxxed people who have gotten covid.  So far, none too serious but super worrisome nevertheless.  

I just hope we won't have to go back to everyone wearing masks indoors.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

@BonTexasNY I have never done a review before and I don’t think I would be very good. I’ll be following along with others as John does his. I might post a comment or so, but not really sure.

Don’t worry how good it is, we just want to enjoy y’all excitement of being back to cruising.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Just post to John's thread when, and if, you feel like it. I think it works much better than multiple threads about the same cruise. The one's that I have been a part of have turned out to be a lot of fun.

• Like 4

So, I decided to go to med school.  I diagnosed myself with a UTI and went to my Doctor.  He said I had to wait on a culture until he would prescribe antibiotics.  Four days later I have antibiotics!  If I could prescribe I would be four days ahead of the game🤪 Seriously, he is a really good, cautious Doctor and has been great to us for over thirty years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

So, I decided to go to med school.  I diagnosed myself with a UTI and went to my Doctor.  He said I had to wait on a culture until he would prescribe antibiotics.  Four days later I have antibiotics!  If I could prescribe I would be four days ahead of the game🤪 Seriously, he is a really good, cautious Doctor and has been great to us for over thirty years.

Seems to me that he handled it perfectly. You don't want to take needless, or ineffective, antibiotics.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Ugh, those are awful. I get them about twice a year. My Dr will prescribe an antibiotic right away, run the culture, then call me if a different antibiotic is needed.  

2 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I seem to recall some talk a while back about safely storing passwords, Someone, maybe @bobmacliberty?, said they should never be saved on your phone. Does this include the Passwords feature on an I-phone where it asks if you want the pw saved? Is this the same as “keychain”?  DH has some saved in the Notes in his phone, I’m almost certain that’s not secure.  We’re not very tech savvy but trying to get better.  Any info will be greatly appreciated!

I probably said that it's not a good idea to have passwords written in clear text on a Word document or in an app like Notes.  If someone gets into your computer/phone and finds that file, they have easy access to all of your passwords.  Computers and phones have built in ability to save passwords in encrypted form.  This let's the computer/phone automatically enter a password for you when you visit a site that requests a password.  I use Window's ability to do this on my computer and Apple's ability to do this on my iPhone.  Nothing is completely secure, but I'm comfortable that my passwords are well protected and it's nice having the convenience of auto password entry.

The problem with the above is that it only exists on one device, and it's not as easy to actually see your password if you want to look it up (which is what the encryption is designed to do).  If I change a password, I need to separately update it on my computer and my phone (and my iPad, and my...). There are several password manager apps that securely store your passwords in the cloud and keep them sync'd across multiple devices.  I believe this is what Keychain does in the Apple universe, but I haven't used it.  I've looked a couple of times using one of these kinds of apps but haven't felt a strong enough need to do so.  You can do a Google search on Password Manager apps to learn more.

Micheline isn't as much "technology forward" as I am.  She still writes all of her usernames and passwords in a small notebook that she keeps in her desk.  Experts say that you should not write down your password for fear that someone will find it, but everything in life is based on risk.  Risk is a combination of the probability of something going wrong and the seriousness if it does.  She doesn't see a high probability of someone finding her little notebook and knowing what's in it.  If it does someone get stolen, we'll scramble quickly to change the passwords on the handful of sites that really matter.  Probability is low, seriousness is fairly low, so overall risk is acceptable.  There's probably a higher risk of her otherwise forgetting a password and getting locked out of a web site if she doesn't write them down. 😄

Bottom line, so long as you understand the risk, do what you are most comfortable doing.  I'd never tell someone that they are wrong by writing down their password (certainly not my wife) so long as they understand the risk and it's a conscious choice.  Most problems come from people not really understanding the risk that they are taking.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Seems to me that he handled it perfectly. You don't want to take needless, or ineffective, antibiotics.

I do understand not taking antibiotics needlessly, I just personally wouldn’t be able to go 4 days without treatment and maybe I’ve been lucky, but only twice I can recall having to switch antibiotics.  My perspective on waiting is also tainted by the fact that my daughter ended up in the hospital with sepsis a few years ago due to a uti that wasn’t diagnosed by her Dr, so I worry about that.  Just my own personal experience, I would certainly not disagree your professional expertise🙂

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I probably said that it's not a good idea to have passwords written in clear text on a Word document or in an app like Notes.  If someone gets into your computer/phone and finds that file, they have easy access to all of your passwords.  Computers and phones have built in ability to save passwords in encrypted form.  This let's the computer/phone automatically enter a password for you when you visit a site that requests a password.  I use Window's ability to do this on my computer and Apple's ability to do this on my iPhone.  Nothing is completely secure, but I'm comfortable that my passwords are well protected and it's nice having the convenience of auto password entry.

The problem with the above is that it only exists on one device, and it's not as easy to actually see your password if you want to look it up (which is what the encryption is designed to do).  If I change a password, I need to separately update it on my computer and my phone (and my iPad, and my...). There are several password manager apps that securely store your passwords in the cloud and keep them sync'd across multiple devices.  I believe this is what Keychain does in the Apple universe, but I haven't used it.  I've looked a couple of times using one of these kinds of apps but haven't felt a strong enough need to do so.  You can do a Google search on Password Manager apps to learn more.

Micheline isn't as much "technology forward" as I am.  She still writes all of her usernames and passwords in a small notebook that she keeps in her desk.  Experts say that you should not write down your password for fear that someone will find it, but everything in life is based on risk.  Risk is a combination of the probability of something going wrong and the seriousness if it does.  She doesn't see a high probability of someone finding her little notebook and knowing what's in it.  If it does someone get stolen, we'll scramble quickly to change the passwords on the handful of sites that really matter.  Probability is low, seriousness is fairly low, so overall risk is acceptable.  There's probably a higher risk of her otherwise forgetting a password and getting locked out of a web site if she doesn't write them down. 😄

Bottom line, so long as you understand the risk, do what you are most comfortable doing.  I'd never tell someone that they are wrong by writing down their password (certainly not my wife) so long as they understand the risk and it's a conscious choice.  Most problems come from people not really understanding the risk that they are taking.

Hope this helps.

Immensely, thank you!  

Just now, DaniDanielle said:

I diagnosed myself with a UTI

I'm pretty sure you know it -- cranberry juice is supposed to be a big help.

Have some friends who are prone to it, and my cousin, when visiting from Germany, is always taking back the dried fruit itself -- 

sugarless cranberry.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Ugh, those are awful. I get them about twice a year. My Dr will prescribe an antibiotic right away, run the culture, then call me if a different antibiotic is needed.  

Haven’t had one in many years.  Luckily, the pharmacist recommended an over-the-counter pill for UTIs.  It kept things calm until I got the prescription.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

He told me to get cranberry tablets so I figured that and cosmos should help😳

13 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Haven’t had one in many years.  Luckily, the pharmacist recommended an over-the-counter pill for UTIs.  It kept things calm until I got the prescription.

Glad you’re on the mend and amen to the cosmos!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Unbelievable :

My wife’s surgery for tomorrow has been cancelled.The Surgeon tested positive for Covid even though he was vaccinated.

How horrible  to have to start the wait and anticipation over again!

I guess any of us could test positive, which is scary when you think of checking in for a cruise. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I seem to recall some talk a while back about safely storing passwords, Someone, maybe @bobmacliberty?, said they should never be saved on your phone. Does this include the Passwords feature on an I-phone where it asks if you want the pw saved? Is this the same as “keychain”?  DH has some saved in the Notes in his phone, I’m almost certain that’s not secure.  We’re not very tech savvy but trying to get better.  Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Mine are in Dashlane, which is a free app. 
I’ve read in more than one place that it’s extremely encrypted and as safe as possible. Who knows?

I also have them in a small notebook in my nightstand. I update it when I change or add passwords. If someone is at the point of reading the notebook, I’ll probably be long gone!

I would not save them when it asks. That stores it in the website you’re using. I wouldn’t trust that. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Mine are in Dashlane, which is a free app. 
I’ve read in more than one place that it’s extremely encrypted and as safe as possible. Who knows?

I also have them in a small notebook in my nightstand. I update it when I change or add passwords. If someone is at the point of reading the notebook, I’ll probably be long gone!

I would not save them when it asks. That stores it in the website you’re using. I wouldn’t trust that. 

My important ones (for financial sites) are written down and put in the fireproof safe that is hidden in the back of a closet.  They are there more for DH if he needs them (because I’m not around).  The non-financial ones are saved by the computer but require a fingerprint.  I change most of them every six months.  I do it every time we change from daylight savings time. That’s how I remember it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Sorry to hear this Lenny, but it’s for the best to keep your wife save. Damn covid. 😡  Hopefully the doctor has mild to very little symptoms. Do you know if they test them regularly or is it only if they feel bad?

On Thursday he thought he was getting a cold but did not believe it was anything to be concerned about .Yesterday morning he felt very sick and was tested for Covid .The results were that he had it and he had many symptoms by that time.I do not know how long he has had it.My wife and I were in his office July 14.My 17 year old grand daughter who was at my birthday celebration Saturday night felt sick yesterday morning.My daughter took her to be tested for Covid and it was negative.My wife and I were sick last night but we were fine when we woke up this morning.

The doctors office administrator will call me wife during the week to reschedule.

People are telling her to find another doctor.However,as I have posted previously my wife has a problem similiar to hemophilia and this doctor was the only one of four who we were considering who was concerned about bleeding.He conferred with my wife’s Hematologist.

He also treats me for an illness.

• Like 3