Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

14 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I’m so sorry!  I hope it wasn’t for something that really can’t wait. 😢

Last month (I posted about it on this thread) one of the veins on one of my wife’s legs opened up and blood was gushing like a waterfall.We could not stop it.It was like a scene from a horror movie.We called 911 and two EMT’s came.They were able to stop the blooding but told us that my wife must go to a doctor in the morning .This was 1 AM .My wife called my Vascular doctor .She got an appointment the same day.He changed the dressing ,wrapped her leg in an ace bandage and suggested emphatically that she needs surgery because if this happens again it could be very bad.

She had the appointment for today but wanted a second opinion and had 3.My wife is a retired RN .She and I decided to have this doctor do the surgery.We will wait for him to get better.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

So sorry, Lenny. Hopefully, the delay will not impact your wife's health.

The surgeon is not alone, sadly. It seems that the efficiency against the Delta variant has been cut in more than half, according to studies here.

However, it remains highly efficient against a serious form of Covid....

Kol tuv, 

Yes,we have heard this.Due to my wife’s bleeding problem she has stayed away from surgery for many years and psyched herself to have the procedure today.I was and still am to a degree very scared.My daughters were going to be here with me.Now we have to do it all over again.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Oh boy!

We got the call a few minutes before I posted here last night.After the recovery period my wife has to limit activity for 4 to 5 weeks.My daughter who lives close by has been doing so much food shopping for us .Our house and garage refrigerators are stocked with food.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

How horrible  to have to start the wait and anticipation over again!

I guess any of us could test positive, which is scary when you think of checking in for a cruise. 

Yes,it is especially being elderly .I had two surgeries last year during the pandemic in a hospital that had employees who had Covid.That was very scary.

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

How horrible  to have to start the wait and anticipation over again!

I guess any of us could test positive, which is scary when you think of checking in for a cruise. 

We are fully vaccinated but was going to sail from st Maarten which required a test before arriving so we switched to a cruise from ft Lauderdale, didn’t want to take any chances. Had a great cruise, almost getting used to flying with mask but I do lots of drinking while flying they leave you alone while sipping on a scotch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was and still am to a degree very scared.

I understand you more than you think.

DH was going to have a surgery, and if it didn't succeed, he very decisively and strongly asked the surgeon "not to wake him up"....

We had 3 awful weeks to wait for the surgery, and my way of dealing with "scary" was to push it out of my mind, and just to go through the days like an automat....

Worked for me.

I assume that it will take at least 2 weeks for a re-schedule, a long time to live in fear.

I know, easier said than done, just speaking from my own experience. My DH also didn't want to tell the kids about the severity of his situation, so I was alone in this ordeal.

Your daughters seem a very BIG HELP.

• Like 4

Yes,we have heard this.Due to my wife’s bleeding problem she has stayed away from surgery for many years and psyched herself to have the procedure today.I was and still am to a degree very scared.My daughters were going to be here with me.Now we have to do it all over again.

Sending your wife our prayers 🙏 and best wishes.

Graham.

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

I do remember your telling about that very very scary experience.  I’m glad you found a doctor you have faith in and hope all eventually works out well.

He has been treating me for phlebitis,cellulitis and venous insufficiency for several years.

20 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

DH was going to have a surgery, and if it didn't succeed, he very decisively and strongly asked the surgeon "not to wake him up"....

We had 3 awful weeks to wait for the surgery, and my way of dealing with "scary" was to push it out of my mind, and just to go through the days like an automat....

Worked for me.

I assume that it will take at least 2 weeks for a re-schedule, a long time to live in fear.

I know, easier said than done, just speaking from my own experience. My DH also didn't want to tell the kids about the severity of his situation, so I was alone in this ordeal.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal Dani and pleased your husband's surgery went well.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Worked for me.

I had surgery several years ago.The doctor told me that there was a possibility that I would not survive.I never told my children and I also never told them that one of my doctors believed that I had leukemia and I was being tested for it .However,I recommended my Oncologist to a cousin and she happened to tell that to one of my daughters who frantically called me and asked why I was treated by the doctor.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I know I mentioned it on the other threads, but thought I’d mention it here. Mike and I will be on the same test cruise as John. I was getting my hair cut yesterday because I thought there might be a chance that we would be on it and also because it seriously needed it. I found out several hours later that we were indeed on it. We are thrilled. 💃🏼💃🏼💃🏼 🍹🍾🥂 

I cannot wait to hear from you and John on the ins and outs of a test sailing.    I find it very odd the cruise is free but they won't give any of the other perks, such as free drinks in DL and suite lounge.  

I would definitely take advantage of the free pass to the Thrill waterpark. 

Have fun and I will be watching the live review thread John started.     Hope to hear from you too 🤩

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I abbreviated what the passwords are associated with like Cruise Critic is CRC.  Hard to decipher if uncovered by the unscrupulous.  AND the list is not easily found.

I have a little black compass book where I do the same and abbreviate the many different sites, sometimes to the point I cannot recognize my own abbreviation for sites I don't use too often.    

We change our passwords for anything banking every 4 to 6 weeks and we use a VPN along with two step sign in for a lot of accounts.

Eric was a victim of Identity theft earlier this year and I do not believe it was anything we were doing wrong, I don't think we were hacked in any way.    IMO, hackers probably got his info from one of the many businesses that had our personal information.     You just never know. 

• Like 2

I had a lot of catching up to do, hopefully I don't miss anyone.

@singinalotHow exciting that you finally get to see the house in person.  For some reason I thought you had seen the new place after the purchase. I don't think I could have waited!

@Ozark_KidI'm glad you are feeling better and wow, your daughter is so talented.  The shoes are amazing!

@mets07I don't know if I ever thanked you for your soup recipe but I wanted to tell you it was so good I made it again about two weeks ago during a "cold spell".

@Sunshine3601Thanks for the mojito recipe.  When I compared the one  with all the great reviews (most have been written by family members) I realized why my recipe tasted so awful.  The amount of rum was equal to the amount of club soda.  No wonder it tasted like gasoline.  I could have performed some flame throwing at the party if I had a match.

@LionesssThat dress was so beautiful.  I can imagine how teared up you felt seeing your daughter in it and thinking of your own wedding.  I think my wedding 33 years ago was the opposite experience.  I found a dress for $600 that I loved.  My mother told me I was wasting my money, that I should find something cheaper and spend the money buying a washer and dryer that we would need.  She really put a damper on things.  I guess her three marriages did it to her. 

@A&L_OntHappy belated anniversary.  Your dinner sounded amazing!

@DaniDanielleHow exciting for your granddaughter!  My daughters team went to the regionals in Syracuse, NY twice.  It was so exciting!  They made it to the final game both times.  The first year they were stomped on by the girls from PA.  They went up against them again the following year but lost the game at 11:30 at night.  If it wasn't for the 3 hours of on/off rain delays I think they would have gone onto the nationals.  It was fun and she played through her years in high school.

I'm glad you are feeling better, I'm with  @Momof3gurlz.  The pain from a UTI is so intense it is impossible to sit still.  I have run a fever a few times myself. I can't imagine waiting 4 days, although I did one time because I thought it would go away if I bumped up the fluids and I didn't want to bother him on the weekend.  It didn't, lesson learned.  My doctor only had to change the script once over the 30 years.

@lenquixote66I'm glad you had a wonderful birthday celebration with your family and I am so sorry to hear that your wife's surgery was cancelled.  I remember the scary situation a few months ago and I understand you and your wife wanting to wait for this doctor to recover.  

• Like 5

Renee and John, how did you end up being able to take part in the test cruises?  Initially I heard 100K signed up, how did they determine who was chosen?  That was a lucky haircut.  When do you go?

My method of password safekeeping involves a little book like Micheline and Bonnie's encrypted notes in "notebook" on the phone,  nothing financial though.  I also have a printout with just the important financial accounts and passwords.  I gave a copy to my MIL and daughter to store in their safes along with a copy in our home safe and the bank box.  If they really want the financial passwords they will need to dig through the filing cabinet.  Most likely they will find it isn't worth the time. LOL

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Worked for me.

So Thankful all went well with your Husband's surgery. 

I, too, know that feeling.    When Eric was told he needed a transplant ASAP.    He did not want me to freak out our Sons or his Mother so I told no one for about 2 weeks.    My Mother knowing me all too well knew something was seriously wrong when I spoke with her on the phone or stopped by their house.     I finally broke down in tears and told her but sworn her to secrecy too.    We had hit and miss transplant matches for a couple of weeks but finally (and sad for the donor's family) one came along that was a perfect match and 3 years 4.5 months later all is good (knock on wood).   

We all need that support system in life.     

• Like 8

We, indeed, all need that support system.  My kids, family, cousins, friends all helped immensely.  We had many trips up tp Columbia before he finally got his new heart.  Third time was the charm.  Luckily, everyone knew the severity of the situation from the beginning so there was always a shoulder to cry on.

• Like 6

I never told my children 

59 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I know how you must have felt.  Having to be brave all alone is a terrible thing.

43 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

He did not want me to freak out our Sons or his Mother so I told no one for about 2 weeks. 

We all need that support system in life.     

It is such a HUGE dilemma whether to "respect" the wishes of the sick one, or to share your anguish with the kids [in our case, no other family], or the immediate family.

HUGE responsibility too, in case the end is not good.

• Like 6