Feeling blue

jmcancruise

I am sure i am not the only cruiser feeling blue right now.  Cancelled our b2b May cruises for September and suspect will need to reschedule again for next year.  In the mean time I would love if people would pick a favorite cruise memory to share.  Might cheer some of us up a bit.    I will start with 2. 2005  1st cruise sitting in a glass enclosed restaurant in the middle of the jungle in Belize with new friends made here on cruise critic.  DH and I were  celebrating our 25th anniversary. 2012  2nd Falling asleep on the outer deck on deck 3 on the Freedom.  We were docked in  Ocho Rios and I awoke feeling like I was living in a dream.  Simple memory, but a special one to me.

• Like 7

I'm certainly feeling down..............two cruises cancelled so far and a land trip to Paris.  This was going to be such a year of travel, sigh.  Well, thank God we are not sick, right?  My favorite memory?  Hard to pick one ........sitting on Grand Anse beach in Granada would be one.  Tropical rainforest hike in Costa Rica is way up there.  Sharing a glass of champagne (or two) on our balcony before dinner as we sailed the Mediterrean would be another.  So many happy experiences, can't wait to get back on a ship again!  

• Like 3

2017 got married on the Magic!

2008 white water rafting in Belize!

Ive been cruising since I was little and have so many wonderful memories. We have an 8 day booked on the Radiance this December and then the Mardi Gras in May. We are really hoping we can still go 

• Like 1

My daughter is in labour and I don't know when I will be able to see them.  Right now I am waiting on my own testing results.  Don't believe I have it, but the two things have made for a not great day.  Another wonderful memory.  Standing at the top of El Morro in San Juan looking out over the crashing waves. It was so awesome, it almost took my breath away.

• Like 1

So many great memories.  

- the absolute magic of my first cruise

- first time climbing Dunn River Falls

- first time seeing a glacier

- first time river tubing in Jamaica 

- first time snorkeling 

- seeing full lunar eclipse at sea

- first time seeing the stingrays

- cruising the Panama canal 

- sailing under the Golden Gate

- first time at the buffador

- first time ziplining 

- seeing El Yunque rain forest 

- eating king crab in Alaska

- first time joining the balcony club

I'll stop there! Hopefully many more magic memories,  God willing.  Cheers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jmcancruise said:

My daughter is in labour and I don't know when I will be able to see them.  Right now I am waiting on my own testing results.  Don't believe I have it, but the two things have made for a not great day.  Another wonderful memory.  Standing at the top of El Morro in San Juan looking out over the crashing waves. It was so awesome, it almost took my breath away.

1st happy pushing to your daughter & congrats on the impending arrival of your grandchild & sending positive thoughts & prayers your way for a negative test.  

Our favorite cruise hands down was our 1st on the Sensation.  Eastern Caribbean out of Miami.  Favorite island to date, St. Thomas.   Celebrated my 30th birthday, 1st airplane flights for us both, met wonderful people we kept in touch with for many years following and were young enough that we could close the dance clubs down 😂💃🏼🕺🏻  

I have a fun one.

I was on the Holiday when she was new and I did a lot of hooting and hollering in the Dining room. I was at a table with 10 single women. What a blast it was!

At the end of the cruise, a Texan walked over and took a picture of me with him. He loved my hooting. LOL

Great memory for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

First time I climbed Mt. Liamiuga

Riding a bike from Naples to Vesuvius.

Seeing the Rock of Gibraltar

Swimming with turtles

Kayaking with Manatees and dolphins on a random side trip 

Seeing a towel animal for the 1st time

My wonderful cabin steward when I was quarantined.

Riding all over Bermuda and meeting the nicest people on earth

Ive had 4 cruises canceled due to covid. Temporarily unemployed as a nurse in NJ and cannot find any work. I stay positive and am looking forward to labor day weekend which is when I will sail again. Very grateful my husband's job is enough for both of us.

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jmcancruise said:

I hope you daughter's labor is short and you will be able to see pictures of your new grandchild soon!

My favorite cruising memory is when my husband and I were touring St Thomas.  Our tour driver stopped somewhere on top of a hill and we got out to view the ocean.  It was like something out of a dream.  It was so beautiful that my thought at the time was that this would be what heaven looks like.  The view was amazing.  This memory has always stayed with me.

Another favorite was at HMC when we were going back to the ship.  I took a picture of our cruise ship surrounded by the some of the bluest water I have ever seen.  The weather was perfect with a blue sky and very few clouds. My favorite memories when cruising aren't things I've done, but places I have seen when focusing on nothing more than the beauty of it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:
My favorite cruising memory is when my husband and I were touring St Thomas.  Our tour driver stopped somewhere on top of a hill and we got out to view the ocean.  It was like something out of a dream.  It was so beautiful that my thought at the time was that this would be what heaven looks like.  The view was amazing.  This memory has always stayed with me.

Another favorite was at HMC when we were going back to the ship.  I took a picture of our cruise ship surrounded by the some of the bluest water I have ever seen.  The weather was perfect with a blue sky and very few clouds. My favorite memories when cruising aren't things I've done, but places I have seen when focusing on nothing more than the beauty of it.

St. Thomas - Sounds like it was Magen’s Bay.   Absolutely breathtaking.   I can see it clearly in my mind 23 years later.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jmcancruise said:

Congrats on the new grand baby and we are not claiming any illness for you.

One of my favorites was actually on board the Sensation in the main theater leaving Cozumel.  We were sitting waiting for a show and apparently the ship was sort of stuck.  We were rocking  back and forth and were watching the lights on the dock from the windows.  They went doooowwwwnnnnnn then back uuuuuppppp and if that didn't make us seasick, we think we can survive anything!  It was so funny to see how drastically we were rocking!

• Like 1

June 2019 I took my niece on a cruise out of San Juan, Puerto Rico for her college graduation gift.  She is a marine biologist.  When we embarked the ship, a crew member asked why we were cruising and I told him that she just graduated college and is a marine biologist and I was the proud aunt!  Somehow that info got around to all crew members, because from then on whenever we saw a crew member she was addressed as Marine Biologist and I was always addressed as Proud Aunt.  Also on that same cruise we visited St. Kitts and went on a tour with the Thenford Grey tours.  Thenford Grey himself came up to my niece and congratulated her on graduating college.  After we finished touring the Brimstone Hill Fortress, our driver had a surprise for my niece and had put in big white writing on the van’s back window CONGRATULATIONS BAILEY!

We had a great time on that cruise!  I love cruising and I hope we can all get back to it after this virus is gone.  Take care all.

• Like 3

At age 13 winning $22 at bingo my grandmother made me go to. Getting a tour of the ship by one of the crew who was all gentleman.

Meeting a guy who turned out to be my boyfriend for several years then off then on again. Finally told him it's a no go.

Lots of favorites when I'd see my cabin and things I pre-ordered on the desk.

Great excursions all over the map.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your responses.  We who have cruised have all been blessed with many wonderful memories.  My dh and I, just a couple of hours ago were blessed with the birth of a very special little granddaughter.  Anxiously awaiting open borders so we can meet her in person.  Anyone else have any stories to share?

• Like 5

Our first trip was on Sovereign back in the days when she was a rock star. I hope never to forget the almost childlike awe at pulling up in a cab and feeling stunned by the scale of this enormous yet elegant ship. I'd been trying to minimize my anxiety about claustrophobia ever since my wife had booked a cruise ... but within minutes of being onboard, that thought left entirely (and never returned even once in our 10 cruises). All these years later, I recall our waiter and assistant - Nigel and Manoj - as two truly wonderful people.

Memories since then: Grandeur cutting through evening fog as we pulled out of NOLA, watching dolphins breach from our awesome triple balcony on Carnival Spirit from Vancouver to Hawaii, breathtaking nightly sunsets from the wrap-around balcony of 6260 on Carnival Legend's TA.

A sea kayak race with several younger couples off Cabo, a stunning kayak and snorkel adventure off Antigua, a catamaran ride in a pounding but warm rain off St. Lucia, the perfect turquoise water of Aruba's Baby Beach, biking Bermuda ... the list goes on.

• Like 1

Getting married at Windows of the World atop the World Trade Center and taking a limo to board the QE2 in April of 1983 for it's first transatlantic crossing of the season and my honeymoon trip to Europe.  It poured all day, so no view from the WTC nor the ship, but it was magical all the same!

• Like 2

We’ve had 2 summer cruises canceled by this; I feel your pain. 😔 A favorite memory of mine was eating gelato in San Marcos Square in Venice, with a string quartet playing, and all of a sudden, our brand new Regal Princess ship sailing by all lit up. It was simply magical! 

• Like 2

We won a free snorkeling excursion in Cozumel. We had never snorkeled before and never would have gone if it weren't for the free tour. Despite being nervous, we got in the water anyway. Long story short, it opened our minds and wallets to many other fabulous snorkeling trips!

• Like 2

On 4/18/2020 at 6:36 PM, jean87510 said:

Temporarily unemployed as a nurse in NJ and cannot find any work. I stay positive and am looking forward to labor day weekend which is when I will sail again. Very grateful my husband's job is enough for both of us.

What kind of nursing? I'm an ARNP in psych.

12 minutes ago, crusinpsychRN said:

What kind of nursing? I'm an ARNP in psych.

I work for a home care agency. Worked in hospitals, long term, sub acute, t/v, pediatrics, detox... 25 years. 20 are T/V. Ive actually worked in an adult T/V unit for 8 years. 

I don't understand why I see these images of desperate exhausted workers, yet Ive applied multiple times and nothing. I live in NJ and have a NJ nursing license. Its really strange. Im not the only one.

Hurricane Irma gave me an unexpected week on the Glory.  On day 10, (of a 7 day cruise)  75% of the passengers debarked in Miami as the port opened but me and mine stayed on board for the rest of the week as there were no flights home.

As clear as if it were 5 minutes ago, I can recall sitting in a hot tub, all by myself with not one person on deck, not one, with a drink and a sunset.  Oddly, this is one of my most precious cruise memories as it was totally surreal.

• Like 2