How is cruising now different from 25 years ago?

ren0312

20 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Some people believe cruising should make them feel like the rich, snobbish people from the Titanic movie. 😁

There are some people who like good music, who enjoy good conversation and who believe that changing clothes before having dinner is an option that does not hurt anyone — and then there are other people who seem bothered by that.

• Like 1

My grandma went on her first cruise in 1987. It was a local cruise from New York to Atlanta. If I am not mistaken it was quite short and there were no entertainment on board. When I think of cruising back then, I cant imagine anything similar to what cruising is now. A totally different experience in many aspects 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Sincere question.  You and your wife can take ballroom dancing classes in your local area. Why must cruise ships provide that service to you?

Because it is a fun activity, and she enjoys them onboard.

Actually with all the rules now applicable in NY state, now we cannot. Disclaimer that should say she cannot. She wants to do the steps perfectly while I just care about moving to the music. 

4 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Sincere question.  You and your wife can take ballroom dancing classes in your local area. Why must cruise ships provide that service to you?

An equally sincere question. People can go to nearby water parks to enjoy slides and amusement parks to ride bumper cars. Why must cruise ships provide that sort of  service for them?  

Should there be some laws stating what amenities should be provided on cruise ships and which should not be permitted?  Or, is it to everyone’s advantage to have different ships providing different activities so people can choose what they like — without criticizing other people for wanting things they are not interested in?

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

My grandma went on her first cruise in 1987. It was a local cruise from New York to Atlanta. If I am not mistaken it was quite short and there were no entertainment on board. When I think of cruising back then, I cant imagine anything similar to what cruising is now. A totally different experience in many aspects 

How did the ship get to Atlanta?  Even way back in the 1980’s I think  our geography was fairly similar to how it is now.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Some people believe cruising should make them feel like the rich, snobbish people from the Titanic movie. 😁

wow ... 🤨  did you take a survey 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Was the dancing compulsory?

Not at all but it seemed to be the main thing happening for the hour or so.   It took place in the main ballroom, the Queen's Lounge I think it was called.   A little would have been better,  I think.   There were some very talented couples swanning around the large floor space with lots of space to maneuver.   I enjoyed watching them for awhile.    The one evening there was what was called a 'family dance' with Rock and Roll the floor was packed.   The next night was back to ballroom.   

19 hours ago, ldubs said:

Haha.  Well,  I know I couldn't do ballroom dancing.  If I tried it would be like a 40 car pile up on the dance floor!  😄

When my eldest daughter got married I danced with her .She smiled.I danced with my mother-in-law and she said I was the worst dancer ever.

On 4/20/2020 at 6:47 PM, navybankerteacher said:

The world was a lot less crowded in “old days”  - now, in addition to trash in the ocean, carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, etc. we  also have to deal with what might be seen as human pollution — simply too many places are losing what makes them special because of too many people visiting them.

I'm glad I travelled to different places in Europe in the 80's and 90's.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

who believe that changing clothes before having dinner is an option that does not hurt anyone

It's kinda funny - well, not really. When we were on our O cruise, even when we were having dinner in the Terrace Cafe we still changed clothes before dinner. Just a smidge nicer than what we'd been wearing during the day.

29 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

When my eldest daughter got married I danced with her .She smiled.I danced with my mother-in-law and she said I was the worst dancer ever.

The only reason she said that is because she hasn't met me.   😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Hmmm, you didn't step on your MILs toes on purpose by any chance?  hahaha

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

“bourgeois, rigid, class-oriented”, “predetermined social expectations”, “artificial social environments”, “officious busy-bodies” — a cluster of choice cliches.

Of course, some “individuals” have different definitions of “enjoyable”.

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

There are some people who like good music, who enjoy good conversation and who believe that changing clothes before having dinner is an option that does not hurt anyone — and then there are other people who seem bothered by that.

I actually think the original quote was fairly spot on. While I wouldn't agree that it applies to everyone on the ship (as no generalization applies to everyone), I absolutely know that type. I think most of us do. To them, the experience is boasting. "Look at my clothes. Look at my jewelry. Not only can we afford this, but listen to what else we have/can do. Etc etc." They will never in a million years admit to it, but it's pretty clear how they think.

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

An equally sincere question. People can go to nearby water parks to enjoy slides and amusement parks to ride bumper cars. Why must cruise ships provide that sort of  service for them?  

Should there be some laws stating what amenities should be provided on cruise ships and which should not be permitted?  Or, is it to everyone’s advantage to have different ships providing different activities so people can choose what they like — without criticizing other people for wanting things they are not interested in?

You make a good point. Who decides what the cutoff is as to what "should be" on and what shouldn't be. The answer? The market decides that. There is a reason ballroom dancing isn't on most ships anymore. It doesn't cost anything but space, and the demand just isn't there. With that said, I don't think it is too far off the wall to tell people looking for an activity that most do not associate with vacation, to enjoy that activity where it is currently available.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I absolutely know that type. I think most of us do. To them, the experience is boasting. "Look at my clothes. Look at my jewelry. Not only can we afford this, but listen to what else we have/can do. Etc etc." They will never in a million years admit to it, but it's pretty clear how they think.

Interesting:  to discuss people who seem to like things which are quite different from your preferences — while claiming to know exactly how they think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

"Look at my clothes. Look at my jewelry. Not only can we afford this, but listen to what else we have/can do. Etc etc." They will never in a million years admit to it, but it's pretty clear how they think.

Wow, your skill sets are wonderful.  

You have the ability to correctly identify, from a distance, the price point of clothing and jewellery, at the same time, able to correctly  establish the thought processes of the person wearing the items.

One is suitably impressed.  

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I grew up in central PA and we used smidge.  Go a little further east and you get scosche, which pretty much means the same.  EM

We used "smidge" in Pittsburgh - Western PA.

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

The difference is that I'm not aware that the market was demand those things. Instead, the cruise lines voluntarily added them to differentiate themselves.

If they went away,  I doubt there would be people complaining about lack of on board water slides.