private island cruises

I don't know whether this has been talked about before, but what is the problem with cruises just aimed at Labadee and CoCo  Cay?  We only cruise from Bayonne, -  so how about a 7 day with 2 days at sea, one day at either island, a sea day, one day at the other island and 2 days back to Bayonne? It could be increased to an 8 day or 9 day itinerary with extra days in the islands or sea days between.   

1 hour ago, Scotty G said:

The one problem is that Labadee is not an island but the plan seems sound with just Coco Cay!

Hi Ian...hope you are doing well and staying safe!  But wouldn't Labadee work, being a peninsula of the country of Haiti, which would satisfy the PVSA rule.   Though not my favorite destination by any means.  😮   I stay on the ship there.  😉 

Just now, island lady said:

Hi Ian...hope you are doing well and staying safe!  But wouldn't Labadee work, being a peninsula of the country of Haiti, which would satisfy the PVSA rule.   Though not my favorite destination by any means.  😮   I stay on the ship there.  😉 

Is Haiti allowing cruise ships/international visitors?

2 hours ago, jor3334 said:

I don't know whether this has been talked about before, but what is the problem with cruises just aimed at Labadee and CoCo  Cay?  We only cruise from Bayonne, -  so how about a 7 day with 2 days at sea, one day at either island, a sea day, one day at the other island and 2 days back to Bayonne? It could be increased to an 8 day or 9 day itinerary with extra days in the islands or sea days between.   

The main problem is not catching the virus from someone in Labadee or CoCo Cay, the problem is catching the virus from one of the thousands who board the ship in Bayonne, some asymptomatic, and then spreading it on board to passengers and crew.

• Like 1

The CDC No Sail Order is in the federal register - and it's valuable reading before trying to think of ways for cruising to resume. 

The CDC makes clear that in addition to the risk  of passenger-crew and passenger-to-passenger infection,  a huge concern is to make cruise ships largely self-supporting during a health crisis: no more crying to ports, cities, foreign countries, health agencies and coast guards to bail them out.

That's why the first order of business is getting COVID-19 under some control. Cruising simply isn't going to happen before that 

• Like 1

Why would anyone want to board a ship in Brooklyn, Manhattan or Cape Liberty?  We  are the epicenter of the virus. Do people really believe that we will be the first port to open?   

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Why would anyone want to board a ship in Brooklyn, Manhattan or Cape Liberty?  We  are the epicenter of the virus. Do people really believe that we will be the first port to open?   

Absolutely right, Florida ports will be open long before NYC/NJ even think about it.  That being said, I'd gladly take a cruise out of Florida or Galveston TX that just did the private islands and a few sea days. Whatever it takes to get back on a ship. 🙂 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, jor3334 said:

I have said this numerous times for us this is perfect, the only place we like outside of the private islands are aruba, bermuda, barbados is ok (used to be great until built up all the excursion type traffic on the beach) and grand turk (cause beach is right there)   However Aruba is the favorite, private islands every day would be great.  Lets get this going by the end of june

Edited by Newleno

5 hours ago, jor3334 said:

Well, the only problem I see with this, is that the CDC won't allow the ship to embark passengers in the US, so how does the cruise start?  Regardless of where the cruise goes, if you can't load 'em on, there's no sense going anywhere.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, the only problem I see with this, is that the CDC won't allow the ship to embark passengers in the US, so how does the cruise start?  Regardless of where the cruise goes, if you can't load 'em on, there's no sense going anywhere.

chengkp75, do you have an opinion  when cruise ports in Europe will open for passengers?  Royal is still not cancelling cruises  origiating in Europe.

2 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

chengkp75, do you have an opinion  when cruise ports in Europe will open for passengers?  Royal is still not cancelling cruises  origiating in Europe.

No clue.  Completely up to their governments.

18 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, since I don't like private island, or fenced in corral, stops it doesn't work for me. But I guess there are some that would like it just fine.

LOL..."fenced in corral"....my thoughts of Labadee as well.   We usually just get off the ship to walk around for some exercise early morning, then back to the uncrowded ship for the day.  😉  Wouldn't bother me to just stay on the ship. 

On 4/24/2020 at 1:50 PM, bluesea321 said:

The main problem is not catching the virus from someone in Labadee or CoCo Cay, the problem is catching the virus from one of the thousands who board the ship in Bayonne, some asymptomatic, and then spreading it on board to passengers and crew.

Exactly the point. When there is an outbreak of Norovirus on a ship, it first must be brought on, before symptoms appear, from those boarding the cruise. The same is possible of crew and performers. And workers on Coco Cay do not live on the island.

And Norovirus only makes you wish you were dead and usually resolves itself in about 36-48 hours. 

I have hope; I miss cruising badly. I'm good for 4 or 5 a year in recent years. I just had a 4/21 canceled and have 3 more booked from before the outbreak. But I think in America the resilience of this virus is being dangerously, sometimes intentionally, underestimated.

In the past, I was always jealously envious of anyone cruising when I wasn't. Now, I'll worry about them.

10 hours ago, John Reid said:

And workers on Coco Cay do not live on the island.

When is the last time you were at Coco Cay?  🤔

Or perhaps if you were there, you did not walk around?  There is an two story apartment complex on the island for workers that indeed do live on the island.  Maybe only for months at a time, but they do live there.  

2 hours ago, island lady said:

When is the last time you were at Coco Cay?  🤔

Or perhaps if you were there, you did not walk around?  There is an two story apartment complex on the island for workers that indeed do live on the island.  Maybe only for months at a time, but they do live there.  

November. And the construction workers still operating on the island do not live there. RCI workers on the island were not all hired at the same time; there is coming and going all the time. Goods are delivered, which implies contact with the outside. Complete isolation is not feasible.

And I had a great time while there.

I just love emojis.

11 minutes ago, John Reid said:

November. And the construction workers still operating on the island do not live there. RCI workers on the island were not all hired at the same time; there is coming and going all the time. Goods are delivered, which implies contact with the outside. Complete isolation is not feasible.

And I had a great time while there.

I just love emojis.

I was not talking about the construction workers.  That two level apartment building was there even before the new construction started.  And when it did...they also added many modular type homes to accommodate.  They are housed in the maintenance area.  

I was simply replying to your comment:   workers on Coco Cay do not live on the island.

Edited by island lady

I too prefer to sail from NY or NJ (no flights involved) and I would be fine with just CocoCay.  Loved it there.   RC did a great job with that island. 

When cruising will resume and from what ports it will happen--all just complete speculation at this point and I'm not venturing guesses.   I will be very happy to be back on a ship going anywhere!