Less than 70 days until Princess resumes cruising !

voljeep

47 minutes ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I can't imagine northern European ports will be welcoming cruise ships in early July.  Plus there is a thread going about all the ships currently taking personnel back to their home countries, and Princess said some of these journeys will take up to 39 days.  I can't fathom how they will be able to recall all the necessary staff to begin cruising in early July, if they only got them home in early June.

Someone on another CC thread suggested the Coral might take the place of the Island on her Jul/Aug northern Europe and TA itineraries since all of the Coral summer Alaska itineraries have been cancelled. Also, on another thread, someone posted this link with regards to the current status of some of the northern European cruise ports.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/joint-survey-shows-status-northern-european-cruise-ports

But, only time will tell. So until then our goal is to stay healthy, remain optimistic and keep looking forward to our next cruise!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Show that you are positive by booking shorex, meals, drink and so on.  The cruise lines will love that.

We have, using the military and shareholder benefits OBC Princess (and CCL) gave us. We also just finished refaring both legs of our July B2B and saved over 50% of the original fare under their Summer Clearance sale. The way we look at it the worst that can happen is they cancel the cruises and we get 125% FCC to be put on one of the other future cruises we have booked.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ace2542 said:

My final payment date with my agency is June 15th although princess final payment date for the cruise is July 22nd 60 days before Sept 20th departure but I am don't think we will make it.

Check with you TA. They should move your final paymenty date to neat the Princess one.

9 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We have a September cruise booked with final payment due in June.  I am HIGHLY doubtful that will sail as some of the countries we are scheduled to visit have already cancelled events for September.

The way things are now how could you do these things with any semblance of social distancing:

• Embarkation
  • Muster drill
  • Dining
  • Entertainment
  • Tender process
  • Disembarkation

I can't imagine how you could be 6 feet away from anyone during any of those activities.  And there is no way there will be a vaccine in 70 days.  I am very disappointed because our trip has been planned for 2 years (!) but I don't see how it's possible in September, let alone 70 days.

When cruising resumes, the ships will probably be half empty. Easy to have that 6 foot separation with only half the passengers.

• Thanks 1

It seems that TAs normally seem to want about 7-14 days before the cruise line Final Payment date.   They say they have to make sure everyone has paid, that they have all the money available and they can ensure that their payment gets to the cruise line by the due date.   I can't see them shortening to fewer than that so I agree yours seems to want far too many and I would push them to shortening to closer to that.

13 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We have a September cruise booked with final payment due in June.  I am HIGHLY doubtful that will sail as some of the countries we are scheduled to visit have already cancelled events for September.

The way things are now how could you do these things with any semblance of social distancing:

• Embarkation
  • Muster drill
  • Dining
  • Entertainment
  • Tender process
  • Disembarkation

I can't imagine how you could be 6 feet away from anyone during any of those activities.  And there is no way there will be a vaccine in 70 days.  I am very disappointed because our trip has been planned for 2 years (!) but I don't see how it's possible in September, let alone 70 days.

You forgot ELEVATORS......especially on the big ships....on the Regal last fall people would be almost on top of each other in elevators......how do you fix that???

8 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

OMG, so many doomsayers!!!  The cruise business can start back up in a matter of weeks!  So you'all see that cruising will be back in full swing before you can blink!!!

Even carnival doesn't agree with you.

"We will decide whether each vessel in our global fleet will be in a warm ship layup or a prolonged ship layup depending on the circumstances, including the length of pause, which we expect to be extended and may be prolonged. We currently estimate the substantial majority of our fleet will be in prolonged ship layup."

You can read all the details in Carnival's quarterly 10-Q SEC filing:

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/sec-filings/sec-filing/10-q/0000815097-20-000030

2 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Even carnival doesn't agree with you.

"We will decide whether each vessel in our global fleet will be in a warm ship layup or a prolonged ship layup depending on the circumstances, including the length of pause, which we expect to be extended and may be prolonged. We currently estimate the substantial majority of our fleet will be in prolonged ship layup."

You can read all the details in Carnival's quarterly 10-Q SEC filing:

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/sec-filings/sec-filing/10-q/0000815097-20-000030

I see the document date was Feb 29, 2020. Sounds about right.

Filing Date Apr 3, 2020
Document Date Feb 29, 2020
Form Description Quarterly report which provides a continuing view of a company's financial position
Filing Group Quarterly Filings
Company Carnival Corporation & plc
Edited by Ken the cruiser

We hear and read about new infections in the USA (as well as around the world) being encountered every day. Here's an interesting chart I hope continues to be updated daily as I just discovered it today.

https://time.com/5827156/squashing-squash-curve-coronavirus-covid19/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=the-brief&utm_content=20200428&xid=newsletter-brief

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

You forgot ELEVATORS......especially on the big ships....on the Regal last fall people would be almost on top of each other in elevators......how do you fix that???

I for one will not enter a crowded elevator ever again. I will wait for an empty or near empty one. If it stops and a bunch of people get on I will get off and wait for another. Also if only one or two decks I will try to walk, better for us anyway. Hubby must ride though as he is disabled. It will necessitate starting out earlier for an activity etc but well worth it!  I will be wearing my mask to all activities and insisting on a seat between me and another passenger in the shows and dining rooms.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I will certainly NOT take a cruise knowing I have/should be wearing a mask 'anytime' we are out of our cabin … not happening

To each his own! We want to cruise so are willing to do what it takes to stay healthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We hear and read about new infections in the USA (as well as around the world) being encountered every day. Here's an interesting chart I hope continues to be updated daily as I just discovered it today.

Thanks for the link.   That was an interesting table.

The states that are re-opening this week do not seem like the ones that should...

It was also a good geography quiz -- click on a state, and see if I got the name right!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Sarcasm perhaps?  Careful, could backfire.

32 minutes ago, dog said:

Not at all. In the news. New Zealand is handling situation quite well 

Yes, they are.  They, or Australia, may not be eager to have cruise ships docking thereabouts for a while though.  Not many other choices in that ocean area.

Keep in mind that it is very much in the cruise line's cash flow interest to keep booked cruises 'alive' and collect final payments even though they may know that the chances of sailing are nil.  IMHO this is a bit of a shell game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hobbyfarmer2 said:

Yes, they are.  They, or Australia, may not be eager to have cruise ships docking thereabouts for a while though.  Not many other choices in that ocean area.

I do not understand your remark, “careful could backfire”. And we have no control over any of this. Please ignore my post. Sorry you found my post problematic. 

5 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

With a vaccine in use worldwide.  Why step foot on a ship until then and run the risk of closed ports or being quarantined on the ship?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

No one knows the answer to this question???  I'm hoping by August 1st.  The World economy needs to get back on it's feet...

couple of good C C articles on the subject today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

I will certainly NOT take a cruise knowing I have/should be wearing a mask 'anytime' we are out of our cabin … not happening

I will not as well.

To me, having to do so, is not a low-stress, relaxing vacation.

Additionally, the overall risk is too high.

A single covid-19 case on a ship, and everyone on board could be quarantined for 14+ days.

Cruise lines are bleeding money right now with estimates of > 5 mil a day.  They are intentionally keeping quiet about resuming operations because there are still people giving them $$ and keeping them somewhat solvent.  They may resume service but only be able to sail with ships 60% full, no use of inside cabins, limited buffets, and dining rooms arranged for social distancing.  Can they still make $$ under these conditions?  Probably not. 
What about predicted 2nd wave of virus 🦠 in fall?  Cruise lines may come back for  a short while but eventually will all go bankrupt.