Detour from covid and refunds-what’s the funniest thing you’ve seen on a cruise

iggyc

On the Joy during an Alaskan cruise, the ship was cruising near some fishing boats.  The ship came very close to one of the boats and must have disturbed some netting the fisherman had put out.  Next thing we knew out of the boats cabin came a very angry fisherman - he was screaming at the ship and flipping us off.  Then he proceeded to take down his overalls.... not only did he moon the ship but he turned around and shook his "pole" at us.  We couldnt believe what we were seeing!!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

This was on a Celebrity ship. We ordered room service for breakfast. I had marked extra

bacon on the room service slip. When it arrived I picked up the cover of the bacon plate and

there was this HUGE mound of bacon on a plate. I just had to count the pieces...it

was 35 pieces!! No worries I just picked up some extra pieces of bread at the buffet and

made us a few bacon sandwiches to munch on for a couple of days. Glad I had

a small fridge to store them in. LOL

• Like 3

This was  10+ years ago, went on a repositioning cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver on a HAL ship.  My company had scheduled a quasi meeting and chartered part of the ship.  In reality, it was a very nice gesture to reward those of us who went above and beyond the year before.

There was about 60 of us.  In the a.m. we would get together in a conference room to sort of talk about business for 30 minutes or so, and they had the rest of the day to do whatever we wanted.  This was before all the "drink packages" offered today.  But, the company picked up the tab for any drinks as our reservations were tied to the corporate credit card.

Anyway, open bar, with our group, probably should have expected some shenanigans.  The 2nd night at sea, we all decided to meet at one of the bars to make plans for the evening.  

Some of us left (like me) to grab dinner and watch one of the shows.  When we returned to the original bar, there were some in our group that did not leave.  One couple, a man in his late 60s (and one of the exec staff) was in a lip lock with one of our technical representatives (who was probably in her late 20s, at the time).  IPhones had just been released and all of us had one.  So, there were probably 4-5 different pictures of them showing up in each others' email the next day.

This finally got around to the frisky couple.  We all laughed about it amongst ourselves, but the couple did not.  As best I could tell, they were both willing participants.  But, the Tech Rep didn't see it that way.  She didn't take it to HR, but got a lawyer instead.  Anyone who saw it had to give a deposition.  What was a little drunken lip locking turned into something that dragged us all into judging who was at fault...him or her.  None of us could point blame, or really render an opinion.

End result, she ended up really angry at us for not blaming the exec in entirety.  And, he was demoted, and then finally left the company a short while later.  For a year, what was once a close group, was on egg shells around each other.

• Like 1

My husband and I took his extended family on their first cruise.  The first day on the pool deck there was a woman in a thong swimming suit.  Our eight year old nephew had never seen anything like that before.  The first words out of his mouth were "that should be illegal!"  The adults all got a good laugh and to this day (10 years later), anytime we see something similar, we look at each other and say "that should be illegal!"  I doubt our nephew will ever hear the end of it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think one of my tops is a “funny, but also kind-of, not” from my Encore in March on the last week before the shutdown. A huge brawl broke out in the club and people spilled out as the fight continued under the chandelier. 

Edited by marktwothousand
  • Like 1

A little off topic and not cruise related. DW and I took Amtrak from D.C. to San Francisco a couple of years ago.

As we travelled out of Denver through the Rockies we were riding along the Colorado River. There were a lot of rafters

out. An announcement was made: "If anyone had a problem with the human form, we might want to avert our eyes.

Sure enough someone on one of the rafts stood up and mooned the train.

1 hour ago, 2+2 said:

My wife and I packing into an elevator with six Furries.   

36 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Well, I guess six furries are still better than the Three Furies.

I can't believe I had to Google "furries."  😲😷

This is a great thread.

Thought of another one.  Our Princess ship pulled into the harbor at Monte Carlo.  There were dozens of huge yachts there.  The captain came on the PA system saying, in a singsong voice, "My boat's bigger than your boat."

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

One year ago on our Greek + Italian Isles Spirit cruise. We were on a guided tour on the Mt Etna Volcano. Standing on top on the edge one woman pointed into that 'really big hole' asking the guide: "Is this the crater?" 😁🤦‍♂️

Edited by _Mr.G_

Oh I remember Costa Rica not funny but really is sort of now. Karma is a wonderful thing . We were coming off the ship for a tour and two young men were heading back, now I'm no raving beauty but was bald and bloated. One young man looked at me and made woof woof noises. Before my very protective husband could say anything I said your Mom would be ashamed of you, his friend was laughing so hard he tripped on a line and fell off the dock. The rude boy looked over lost his balance and fell in also :). They weren't hurt (thankfully) but avoided me for the entire cruise which was a riot to me to see them stop and go a different direction or leave an area when I entered :).

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 5/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, marktwothousand said:

I think one of my tops is a “funny, but also kind-of, not” from my Encore in March on the last week before the shutdown. A huge brawl broke out in the club and people spilled out as the fight continued under the chandelier. 

Just not the same without the Benny Hill music, lol.   

• Like 1

This was such a welcome diversion!  I had to google furries as well.  I used to wear a character costume when I worked at Six Flags as a teen & boy was it hot!  Maybe that's why I never see them in Texas.

Anyway, we've come across many interesting people on our vacations.  One that I remember was a wedding party that was partying hard on a cruise.  They were all still in their wedding attire & having a really good time.  When we got up the next morning to head to the buffet for breakfast, there was one of the guys, in his tux, sound asleep in one of the loungers by the pool.  

In St. Thomas, my friend & I accidentally went into the men's restroom in port.  That was awkward.  Not even sure how that happened.

When we were at an all inclusive in Dominican Republic, we saw this really pretty colorful drink while at the pool bar.  I asked the bartender what it was and he said "butt melon".  I have a witness.  I asked him again - same answer.  My friend heard the same.  So, that's what we ordered multiple times throughout the day & always got the same drink.  Next day, we are on the beach, different bartender.  So, of course we order our new favorite drink, the butt melon.  The waitress just looked at us like we had three heads.  So then, began the effort of describing the drink to her.  Finally, she said, oh you mean a Bob Marley!  Sure enough, something had been lost in translation at the pool bar, but the beach waitstaff was able to figure it out.  I can only imagine what went through her head.  I probably don't want to know.  

We had one cruise on Carnival Freedom.  Our head waiter was John Alex.  He was phenomenal.  Anyway, there were 6 of us and one guy always ordered salad - no dressing or any vegetables other than the lettuce, but he wanted parmesan cheese.  Well, when John Alex came with the cheese grater, he told our friend to say when.  Well, he wasn't really paying attention, so John Alex kept grating and grating and grating.  So finally our friend realizes he needs to say when.  Every night after that, John Alex would appear with the cheese grater & kind of shake out his arm to get ready & take some deep breaths.  He was the funnest (is that a word) waiter ever.

• Like 1

I don’t know if this is funny or sad. On an NCL  cruise years ago my friend an I went to the Port Shopping events and art auctions.   I think it was the Port Shopping guy who saw us when he got in the elevator. He recognized us and began talking to us while we were trying to tell him that there was vomit on the floor and the back wall. He reclined on that wall and got the back part of his suit covered in vomit. He was angry with us because  he said that we didn’t tell him but we tried too. After that event, we turned our heads every time we saw him. The funny thing is that he was in another cruise that we took.

On 5/8/2020 at 1:09 PM, Cruising Lynne said:

It would never be allowed now, but Fountains was pretty funny.

Yes that was funny.

Not sure if you remember asst cruise director Sinan “Bingo Boy”. He was so funny

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2020 at 7:28 AM, Formula280SS said:

Thank you.  There are more that are more typical.

On that exact cruise (a B2B), for those familiar with the automatic doors that open to that side of forward near the Solarium, there is a two-sided glass windscreen - forward facing section and starboard facing section.

It is maintained spotlessly by the crew.  And that could have been the problem.

A couple, about in their 50's, came out through the automatic doors at a pretty good pace, holding drinks, she was leading and talking to him.  She walked "full gait" into the starboard facing glass, hit face first hard and went down.

Her husband quickly picked her up and she regained her composure (quickly looking around to see if anyone saw what happened).  Once we saw she was OK, the towels went up over our faces to hide the giggles.

Of note, she did not spill her drink.  😲😁

We didn't think it was her first drink of the day. 🤣

They must have complained as the next day there was a blue tape large "X" in the middle of the glass.

I hate when that happens.  LOL!!