Debbie Downer

Woodfaerie

I have all hopes that my 8/29  out of Miami sailing will happen. My 4/19 took a digger and I am patiently waiting for my refund mostly coming back in gift cards.  I was wondering if any of you that booked or re-booked chose a higher cat room such as a balcony or  suite specifically for the off chance that there ends up being a quarantine during your voyage? (shudders at the thought of being trapped in an inside stateroom)  I don't want to think so morbidly but after hurricane Irma on the Glory blocked me from getting home....well, lightning can strike twice if you get my drift. My August trip has been booked for quite a long time.  I am seriously thinking  of upgrading just in case I do sail at the end of August and the unthinkable happens. Would you call it paranoia or preparation?

• Like 3

We usually book a balcony anyways, but any cruise we book in the future will definitely be in a balcony just to be safe. I can’t imagine being stuck on a ship in an interior cabin long term. The three cruises we currently have booked, which I expect to all be cancelled, are in balcony cabins. 

• Like 3

I personally would cancel if I thought there was a chance of the ship being quarantined. Being a balcony room doesn't make the idea of what the princess passengers went through even slightly more appealing. Not too much the money I would lose having to take extra weeks off from work. 

• Like 1

OP I can barely read that type to figure out what you are asking.  Would be so much easier to read if you didnt use light color script. 

Most of the august ships out of Galveston show sold out, so whatever reduced capacity they want has been reached. I wanted the sept partial panama out of mobile or Galveston and both of those say sold out. It's probably not going to be easy since once they go into sold out mode they dont even let you change cabins.

I think maybe some were pulled they know ports wouldnt be open. Who knows but they all closed to bookings a couple days ago I was watching.

I really want to know what they will do about closed ports. Caymans ... who else wouldnt be open by August? 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

OP I can barely read that type to figure out what you are asking.  Would be so much easier to read if you didnt use light color script. 

Agree 100 percent! I thought about posting something similar, but then thought maybe it is just an issue with my IPhone X, since a few people responded before I did without mentioning anything about the font.  

Edited by PhillyFan33579
  • Like 2

I am the OP. Thank you for making me aware that there is an issue with the font and/or color making it difficult to read. My original post:

I have all hopes that my 8/29  out of Miami sailing will happen. My 4/19 took a digger and I am patiently waiting for my refund mostly coming back in gift cards.  I was wondering if any of you that booked or re-booked chose a higher cat room such as a balcony or  suite specifically for the off chance that there ends up being a quarantine during your voyage? (shudders at the thought of being trapped in an inside stateroom)  I don't want to think so morbidly but after hurricane Irma on the Glory blocked me from getting home....well, lightning can strike twice if you get my drift. My August trip has been booked for quite a long time.  I am seriously thinking  of upgrading just in case I do sail at the end of August and the unthinkable happens. Would you call it paranoia or preparation?

• Like 2

I'm not sailing for a long time, but when I was planning to rebook (TA screwed up so it didn't happen) I was planning to book a suite, just for that reason.

DH won't even hear of booking an inside cabin or even an oceanview, just for that reason.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They can test people boarding the ship but not at the ports. 

If you do cruise and in contact with elderly, I'd be careful afterwards. I'm doing a semi quarantine until there is a vaccine even if no sign I'm sick. No I dont expect to be quarantined on the ship on a shorter cruise. Most of the princess issues you will remember were on longer cruises where people had more time to come down with it. The cruise from Asia, the one coming up from south america etc. 

I do think there is a chance for exposure tbh, just less time to come down with something on a 7 day or less cruise than a 2 week cruise. Be careful even after you are home to not expose others. That's my plan. 

We will have to learn how to live with this virus for a while. 

• Like 2

I generally book an inside cabin if cruising solo, and a midship balcony if cruising as a couple.

For my 1st solo "post pandemic" (I hope) cruise on the Magic in November, I booked a cove balcony, which I wouldn't do as a couple.  Having an extra open space just made it easier in my mind to have one less issue to be concerned with.  Just thinking ahead, Be Prepared, as my old Boy Scout Motto reminds me, not paranoid.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Agree 100 percent! I thought about posting something similar, but then thought maybe it is just an issue with my IPhone X, since a few people responded before I did without mentioning anything about the font.  

OP I appreciate you reposting it. Just for future reference, this how it showed up to me. On iPhone 8.

CC3D7ED2-4518-4BA9-9723-71EA49FD2053.png

• Like 2

That last princess ship that left from south america, though ports refused them, was supposed to end in ft. Lauderdale. Finally miami let them dock after a lot of negotiation but it was always a one way to florida. It was scheduled to dock that saturday, the day after the fiasco with the HAL ships. 

Imo it left too late, tried to turn around and wasnt allowed, but should never have left that late. I cant remember exactly but I think it left march 13. Someone on another thread keeps beating up on hannity for saying mid feb the virus wasnt anything, by almost mid march carnival should have known. 

They were not headed to Florida.  They were rerouted to Florida and the issue was the non US citizens who once they left the ship would be free to enter any US hospital for free treatment.  

4 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Being stuck on a ship for weeks at a time is a thing of the past.

They'll have a contingency plan in place.

They won't let that happen.

I want to believe this. I do believe this. Even though there is a little part of me that knows it could still happen.

I think that since we know more about this virus now, and have prepped for it, that it just doesn't seem likely that we would go back to this. If it does happen again, I would probably upgrade my room. I never buy anything other than an interior, but this COULD make me upgrade.

• Like 1

That last princess ship that left from south america, though ports refused them, was supposed to end in ft. Lauderdale. Finally miami let them dock after a lot of negotiation but it was always a one way to florida. It was scheduled to dock that saturday, the day after the fiasco with the HAL ships. 

Imo it left too late, tried to turn around and wasnt allowed, but should never have left that late. I cant remember exactly but I think it left march 13. Someone on another thread keeps beating up on hannity for saying mid feb the virus wasnt anything, by almost mid march carnival should have known. 

Coral Princess does seasonal Antarctic cruises and the ship certainly couldn't have stayed there. Those cruises began in December as I recall. Hannity deserves to be beat up.

I will never book anything less than a balcony again.  If you have your own balcony, you can at least get some fresh air and separation from your cabin mate without being stuck in the bathroom.  LOL.  

As for a COVID-19 timeline, I cruised at the very end of February, but only after having major discussions about it with my husband, my work, and my adult children.  We knew it was risky but still went for it, as it was a three night cruise and we had a balcony. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Nothing draconian about keeping on topic and nothing to benefit the OP by discussing the past.

How do you figure that? The OP asked about thoughts related to upgrading their cabin in the event of a quarantine ONLY because it did happen in the past. It can't happen currently due to cruise ships not sailing. People can speculate all they want but only by drawing inferences at this point from how it was handled in that past. I think it's very relevant. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Woodfaerie said:

I might think more about hurricane season than virus season.

• Like 2

Made this same comment in other threads....by August, there will be no point in quarantining passengers on a ship if there is an outbreak.  The ccv is already so prevalent that cases acquired onboard will barely be a footnote in the general population.  Also, many experts believe the quarantine on Diamond Princess made the situation worse.

Now, if you get sick and confine to stateroom, sure, consider what you can tolerate.  My first two sailings are 5 and 4 nights so I'd be looking at maybe 1 day stuck inside if I'm infected and if I show symptoms.

I do predict that transmissions on ships will be shockingly low by choices.

• Like 1

Since the virus is pretty much worldwide, someone showing symptoms on a cruise shouldn't cause an entire ship to quarantine.  The virus is already in New York, Florida, California, Louisiana, and Texas.  Just quarantine the person and get them off of the ship in a safe manner once the ship returns.  Keep their cabin empty for the next cruise for detailed cleaning and disinfecting.

Even though I am not worried about being quarantined because of Covid-19, it did make me think of other reasons I could be confined to my cabin such as Noro.  I haven't even gotten sick on a cruise, but there's a first time for everything.  When I rebooked my cancelled April cruise to September, I did go from an inside to a balcony.

• Like 1

Please use normal text and colors in the future if you’d like for people to read and respond to your posts. 
By the way, the answer is NO! 
I would call it paranoia, perpetrated by the media and certain government officials!!!