Future Cruise Pricing

Tedferg

In many discussions about FCC Bonuses, some say, 'Yes but same cruise next year is more expensive'. Isn't it always the case that initial cruise prices are high and usually decrease according to demand.

• Like 1

Although in general that is true, the question becomes is the demand there?  I can't imagine as many people this May are saying let's book a cruise as last year.  I would expect pricing to be flat rather than higher.  

Pricing is only part of the issue for us. Prices change with supply and demand.

Our issue is the unknown.  On board environment and itinerary.

Who knows what the onboard environment will be like for cruisers.  Will we like it?  Will it depreciate or enhance our enjoyment of the cruise?  Do not know.

What will the itinerary really be?  Sure, we have a published itinerary but will that really be the end product.  We anticipate many port changes. 

Bottom line for us is that the only thing that is certain at the moment is price.  

Pricing is up on the Grand Adventure I was taking this year on the Sky.  August 2021, Baltic plus TA for 26 days, price is over $3,500. more than I was paying this year.  I sail single, always more but pushing the price quite a bit over ten grand is crazy.

We were to take Canada New England Sep 2020. When I look at my notes OV Plus was $4,800 for two, then later $4,450 now Sep 2021 is $5,387. Will be interesting to see how that 2021 Fare changes. 

Now whether we will cruise next Sept etc. is a separate question.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

In many discussions about FCC Bonuses, some say, 'Yes but same cruise next year is more expensive'. Isn't it always the case that initial cruise prices are high and usually decrease according to demand.

Not it isn't always the case. We usually book way in advance and then watch as the price goes up rather than down. Once in a while it may go down a bit but we usually see it go up instead.

• Like 6

Booked Alaska for next year after this year's was cancelled. Up from last year but there is a small window for sailing Alaska.  If price comes down, I've been told I can have my fare adjusted.  I'd rather pay premium than be locked out.  That's the shame of putting off "the bucket list" for so long.....

Even before the Covid meltdown I had already noticed that in general pricing for 2021 seemed a bit higher than if I had been booking at a similar time last year for 2020.  That said I found 2020 pricing higher than 2019 .......

The cruise lines have been pushing fares up consistently for the last few years and were bullish on pricing for 2021.  Time will tell if that holds, especially as so many have FCC that will need to be used.  

• Like 1

We have one booked this Oct 31 and 3 booked for next year.  All bookings were made in late 2019.  The prices for two have remained the same.  We refared two in Mar 2021 in mid Mar in order to save almost $800.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
Extra

Royal Caribbean has a better policy:

Royal Caribbean also introduced its new "Lift and Shift" program, allowing cruisers to move their 2020 sailing to a comparable cruise in 2021 or 2022, within four weeks of the original departure date (but for the following year) with full price protection. To be eligible, passengers must move their sailing on or before August 1, 2020.

• Like 2

One of the most common topics on all of the cruise line boards prior to the covid stuff was people complaining about how much the price of their cruise had dropped and can they get reimbursed for the difference. It used to be the early you booked the lower the price but the cruise lines discovered that people who book early don't mind paying a premium for doing so. I can see booking early for a specific cabin and at/or a low deposit but 18 months in advance for a standard inside cabin. LOL.

When cruising resumes I expect a predatory pricing free for all like the airlines did 10-20 years ago with very few survivors and a big consolidation of the industry unless there is a rapid return to what is was like before the shutdown which I doubt.

Time will tell;  I would assume the cruise lines have to re coup their losses for all the time their ships were not making any money.  We shall see.  Be well out there

I'm just hoping that our Enchanted cruise goes on for this January.   It will be our first time on Princess and we booked it during the Best Sale Ever Promo at the end of January.  Since then we have had 2 price drops saving about 20% to the tune of almost 500 for an inside HC with the all in package.

• Like 1