Hawaii No cruises any time soon

zqvol

The government of the State of Hawaii has issued a report saying that they do not expect anay cruises until the 2nd half of 2021

https://dbedt.hawaii.gov/economic/qser/outlook-economy/

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23000-hawaii-predicts-no-cruise-passengers-until-second-half-of-2021.html

This is also confirmed on the NCL Cruise blog on FB, though NCl says that they will wait and see how it plays out.

Edited by zqvol

20 minutes ago, zqvol said:

This is also confirmed on the NCL Cruise blog on FB, though NCl says that they will wait and see how it plays out.

that NCL Cruise Blog FB page is not officially from NCL, it is one of many fan groups created on FB. If you look at the about page on FB, it says it is a fan group.

1 minute ago, shof515 said:

that NCL Cruise Blog FB page is not officially from NCL, it is one of many fan groups created on FB. If you look at the about page on FB, it says it is a fan group.

So ignore that, and pay attention to what the State of hawaii says, they are the ones that actually decided when Hawaiian cruises will happen.

• Like 1

Interesting thought that because it is a US flagged ship it could cruise Alaska without having to stop in Canada.  Too bad they can't salvage this years Alaska season with PofA

29 minutes ago, zqvol said:

The government of the State of Hawaii has issued a report saying that they do not expect anay cruises until the 2nd half of 2021

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23000-hawaii-predicts-no-cruise-passengers-until-second-half-of-2021.html

Just to be clear, this is an assumption that has been used in Hawaii's economic outlook model, not a government ruling prohibiting cruising until mid 2021.

Anyone familiar with modeling knows that assumptions are changed continually . There's no better example of that than the modeling done to predict the course of the pandemic. Initially much of the modeling predicted many  more infections and deaths from COVID-19 than have actually occurred. As actual experience has developed modeling assumptions have been modified as scientists gained more knowledge of the nature of the disease. 

Hawaii's economic models could easily be revised in the near future to assume an earlier or later resumption of cruising if the public health data warrants it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

Interesting thought that because it is a US flagged ship it could cruise Alaska without having to stop in Canada.  Too bad they can't salvage this years Alaska season with PofA

The exemption to the US built clause in the PVSA that POA received explicitly restricts the ship to sailing within the Hawaiian Islands only, or in transit to/from a shipyard.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The outlook of Hawaii’s economy is based on the following assumptions:

It is an "assumption" re no cruises along with a dozen or so other assumptions.  It had not been written in stone and there will be a lot of pressure to open up Hawaii to cruise ships ONCE a vaccine or better treatments are found.

As with so many things covid related we can all speculate on what may or may not happen the fact is that none of us really knows.

Hawaii has a much bigger concern now as to when to open up all the hotels and accept the normal 30 k tourists a DAY that arrive via air from all over the world.  If they can figure that out then the much smaller cruise ship numbers will likely be relatively easy.

Curious...I see the Hawaii.gov site states they don’t expect any cruises until 2021.  But, it doesn’t say if that’s because the state is refusing POA, or if NCL is not planning on sailing the ship until then.  

I would think it is the state of Hawaii.  Hawaii has done well controlling the infection rate from the virus and I am sure they are hesitant to welcome thousands and thousands of tourists again.  However, I am sure the economic effects are being felt too in the tourism industry.  

The thing is they are expecting the number of tourists to double in 2021 that means everyone is coming by air. If someone can fly in then taking a cruise entirely within Hawaii shouldn't be restricted as well. I can see them not allowing the ships from the mainland.

This is an interesting read. Expect no cruise tourist until second half of 2021.

They must be assuming that the CDC No Sail Order will be in place till then and hopefully a vaccine would be available then.

So don't see how it could be interpreted in any other way. Would other U S States adopt this same view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The exemption to the US built clause in the PVSA that POA received explicitly restricts the ship to sailing within the Hawaiian Islands only, or in transit to/from a shipyard.

Thank you...makes sense.

13 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

If Hawaii will not allow cruises until mid 2021 they should also prohibit ANY tourism until then as well.

Hawaii still requires anyone coming into the state or moving between islands to quarantine for 14 days. It is a true quarantine, go into a hotel room and never come out for 14 days after your arrival. And if you do, they arrest you, fine you, and put you on the next flight out of the state. 

NCL has not done themselves any favors in the eyes of the Hawaii government. Long after the shutdown of cruises (i.e., more than 14 days), there was an outbreak of COVID on the POA. 

10 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Curious...I see the Hawaii.gov site states they don’t expect any cruises until 2021.  But, it doesn’t say if that’s because the state is refusing POA, or if NCL is not planning on sailing the ship until then.  

You are forgetting one thing, POA is not the only NCL ship sailing Hawaii.

The Jewel is doing several Hawaii cruises later this year and into next year. Doing 5 islands then off to Papeete,Fiji, and 2 more ports, then the itinerary in reverse. There is also a few New Zealand cruises and French Polynesia cruises that the Jewel does as well.

So if Hawaii is closed, it might affect dozens of cruises

Steve

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Hawaii still requires anyone coming into the state or moving between islands to quarantine for 14 days. It is a true quarantine, go into a hotel room and never come out for 14 days after your arrival. And if you do, they arrest you, fine you, and put you on the next flight out of the state. 

NCL has not done themselves any favors in the eyes of the Hawaii government. Long after the shutdown of cruises (i.e., more than 14 days), there was an outbreak of COVID on the POA. 

So there were incidents that prompted this opinion by the Hawaii government.

NCL have only themselves to blame for this.

As they have to sign off on any future sail to and from Hawaii I read this as a No from them, the government.

We are booked on the POA for November 14, 2020 with a 2 day prior stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  I know the article says lots of 'assumptions' and models that may not come true so I'm holding out for our stay and cruise as going ahead.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

We are booked on the POA for November 14, 2020 with a 2 day prior stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  I know the article says lots of 'assumptions' and models that may not come true so I'm holding out for our stay and cruise as going ahead.

Well, I'm going to eat my words.....I think it would be best to change to November of 2021 so I won't be wondering and waiting until November of this year.  This is the second time we've had to cancel or postpone a POA cruise.  

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

Well, I'm going to eat my words.....I think it would be best to change to November of 2021 so I won't be wondering and waiting until November of this year.  This is the second time we've had to cancel or postpone a POA cruise.  

If POA don't sail early 2021 we may not have POA or any cruise industry anymore.

Edited by datolim

On 5/27/2020 at 7:45 AM, datolim said:

This is an interesting read. Expect no cruise tourist until second half of 2021.

They must be assuming that the CDC No Sail Order will be in place till then and hopefully a vaccine would be available then.

So don't see how it could be interpreted in any other way. Would other U S States adopt this same view.

More likely the department had discussions with the other departments in the Hawaiian state government, and based upon those discussions arrived at the assumptions for the financial model. Hawaii has had the tightest restrictions of any state. I would expect the assumptions were based upon the local government, not the CDC.

POA left CA and is now docked in Hawaii, so that’s something

Sent from my iPhone using Forums