SHIP BY SHIP

Hawkstar33

51 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm not sure that I agree.  If they were waiting for a vaccine, they would have already put the ships into cold storage to reduce costs because it's going to be a while before a vaccine is available.

You may well be right. Out of interest do you know what is the rough time period that a ship would be expected to sit idle before going in to cold storage?  Most ships ceased cruising in late March and we are now at nearly 3 months and I think we'll be looking at at least 6 months. Perhaps if the cruise lines knew how this was going to play out they would have put ships in to cold storage at the outset.

Re my previous post, I said a vaccine OR the virus runs it's course. It may be the latter. At any rate, cruises from the US would be the last place I'd start up operations at the moment, unless they do 3-4 day cruises where any infection spread would not be detected before disembarkation. Europe has many countries that have opened their borders but infection rates are still high in some areas so it's risky there. Australia and NZ seems a likely place that could start up again, however people from outside those countries are currently locked out so it would be an Aussie/Kiwi cruise only (hmmm, that would be interesting). 

Not disagreeing with you, just throwing it out there. After having three cruises cancelled, we have decided to bring forward getting a Schnauzer pup so' I'll spend the rest of the year training her and cruise next year - I hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

To be honest I'm not sure that the CDC guidelines will be the over riding influence on cruise lines starting up. Frankly, I can't see any line starting until they can almost guarantee that they will have virus free cruising, and that means the virus has run it's course or there is a vaccine. Any line that starts up and gets a "virus" cruise will have to suspend operations again and people will have no confidence in that company being able to deliver their cruise. They would be sunk. 

Seems to me that they are all clueless about what to do and just playing out some time. I don't blame them.

There are no guarantees.  There never were.  And frankly, I don't see what the CDC has to do with anything.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

There are no guarantees.  There never were.  And frankly, I don't see what the CDC has to do with anything.

If the cruise lines want to operate out of US ports, they will need to follow the CDC guidelines.

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

If the cruise lines want to operate out of US ports, they will need to follow the CDC guidelines.

I interpret Happy Cruiser's comment as more of a question:  Why should the CDC have so much say (power) over the cruise line start up in the first place?  Setting guidelines and protocols is one thing but this is an example of power run a muck IMO.  I know, I know...I'm in the minority.  I'm OK with that.

11 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

This is what makes me mad.  Celebrity is just so poor at keeping people informed. I know everything is not all decided, but how about a simple status report updating us on what was discussed at the meeting.  At least share what you can tell us!  Or at least tell us the meeting was held, such and such was discussed, but no final decisions were made.  With no feedback everyone is just left to speculate.   IMHO this demonstrates a serious lack of loyalty to their passengers, particularly (but not exclusively) those that have been loyal to them for many, many years.  I know Celebrity is not alone in that regard, but that is no excuse.

I understand your overall frustration.  I have been in similar meetings in my career with US Gov agencies.  So I might just offer the opinion that perhaps Celebrity and other cruise lines have agreed with CDC to not report anything from early meetings until both sides agree on the outcomes of the meeting.  Or they have had a chance to review and agree on the meeting notes.  Or they are bound by a confidentiality agreement.  Any form of early communication by either side can and will likely be misconstrued (here and in the press) so all must be very careful.  Even simple statements become monsters sometimes.  The world we live in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Why should the CDC have so much say (power) over the cruise line start up in the first place?  Setting guidelines and protocols is one thing but this is an example of power run a muck IMO. 

Early in the cruising era, the industry resisted adhering to US public health guidelines. Fatalities from on-board infections and rampant noro-type outbreaks resulted in amending US law to allow the feds to require non-US-flagged ships to submit to US health inspections as a condition of porting in the US. The standards hsve improved exponentially. 

The CDC is responsible for monitoring conditions and its cruising protocols if made mandatory will help protect hundreds of thousands of US citizens per year, and millions of cruisers world wide.

I have never seen an industry adopt expensive safety features until mandated by a responsible authority. Advisories and recommendations? Useless.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Early in the cruising era, the industry resisted adhering to US public health guidelines. Fatalities from on-board infections and rampant noro-type outbreaks resulted in amending US law to allow the feds to require non-US-flagged ships to submit to US health inspections as a condition of porting in the US. The standards hsve improved exponentially. 

The CDC is responsible for monitoring conditions and its cruising protocols if made mandatory will help protect hundreds of thousands of US citizens per year, and millions of cruisers world wide.

I have never seen an industry adopt expensive safety features until mandated by a responsible authority. Advisories and recommendations? Useless.

This is a very thoughtful and informative post.  I agree with and am grateful for the health and safety improvements that have come about as a result of the CDC.  I don't agree with the power they wield over the restart.  That's it.  If safe sailing measures set by the CDC go hand in hand with having the authority to say when they start up again, then I guess I have no choice but to suck it up and wait patiently like everyone else.

People on the Aug 10 Equinox roll call are saying that Celebrity is refunding their onboard purchases without being requested to do so.  While we hear Europe is opening to tourism, for most countries, it is within the Schenegen area plus the U.K. and a few other local countries.

48 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

People on the Aug 10 Equinox roll call are saying that Celebrity is refunding their onboard purchases without being requested to do so.  While we hear Europe is opening to tourism, for most countries, it is within the Schenegen area plus the U.K. and a few other local countries.

There is no August 10 Equinox sailing this year, it's August 9th.  I'm on that cruise.  I've received nothing.  So which people are saying this and where?  Certainly not on the roll call.

Have any of you expecting to sail out of FL watched the numbers of infected people rise each day lately?  Yesterday was the largest new cases yet.  The Gov declared that’s because of more testing.  Take a look at the testing chart and the new cases chart, you decide.

15 minutes ago, Oville said:

Have any of you expecting to sail out of FL watched the numbers of infected people rise each day lately?  Yesterday was the largest new cases yet.  The Gov declared that’s because of more testing.  Take a look at the testing chart and the new cases chart, you decide.

I'm watching....  believe it.  My fear is Celebrity won't cancel the cruise, putting me in a horrible position of possibly losing my money.

26 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

I'm watching....  believe it.  My fear is Celebrity won't cancel the cruise, putting me in a horrible position of possibly losing my money.

26 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Oh no, I didn’t mean to upset you.  August is a bit of a way off and hope things improve.

We are leaving FL Monday back to our home on Cape Cod  (a month late) but have been concerned here in Naples since the numbers have gone up.  I doubt you will lose your money, can you do a Lift and Shift?

Edited by Oville

1 minute ago, Oville said:

Oh no, I didn’t mean to upset you.  August is a bit of a way off and hope things improve.

We are leaving FL Monday back to our home on Cape Cod  (a month late) but have been concerned here in Naples since the numbers have gone up.  I doubt you will lose your money, can you you do Lift and Shift?

I've got non-refundable airfare to consider.  IF Celebrity cancels, I get that money back; if I cancel, I won't.  I'm less worried about the cruise, as I can apply what FCC I get another cruise, it's that airfare that concerns me.

1 minute ago, K.T.B. said:

I've got non-refundable airfare to consider.  IF Celebrity cancels, I get that money back; if I cancel, I won't.  I'm less worried about the cruise, as I can apply what FCC I get another cruise, it's that airfare that concerns me.

Have you talked with the airline?  These are crazy times and perhaps they will refund you.

1 minute ago, Oville said:

Have you talked with the airline?  These are crazy times and perhaps they will refund you.

Not going to worry about until I really need to worry about it.  Plus I booked it through Celebrity... long before anyone knew what covid was!

4 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

While we hear Europe is opening to tourism, for most countries, it is within the Schenegen area plus the U.K. and a few other local countries.

Celebrity have cancelled Reflection 10th August from Amsterdam to the  British Isles and also some August  Silhouette sailings.

Reason given- Copenhagen Port is closed.

I have never had a full cruise cancelled due to inability to get into one port.

If they have cancelled later August sailings on Silhouette, I fail to see how the August 1st to the Mediterranean from Southampton can go ahead, as it visits Spain, which is not open to UK tourists.

From Adam Coulter, UK Managing Director:

”The Mediterranean is gradually opening up to tourism, hoping to salvage what's left of the summer high season -- but not to cruises anytime soon.

Italy is already open; Spain opens next week and Greece from July, but only to flights.”

They surely won’t bring the ship across the pond to Southampton for a severely limited number of cruises?

But they really need to announce their intentions.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

There is no August 10 Equinox sailing this year, it's August 9th.  I'm on that cruise.  I've received nothing.  So which people are saying this and where?  Certainly not on the roll call.

My bad... it’s the Aug 10th Reflection out of Amsterdam around the British Isles.  Between canceling and rebooking I switched the ships around.  I need some Vitamin Sea!

• Like 1

We have a Caribbean cruise on Reflection this Dec. We are in the UK so at the mo cant come into the USA and a no travel unless urgent from Gov. Have to pay TA full moneys by Aug 21st . Haven’t a clue what will be happening by Dec but have decided to cancel. We will only loose small deposit. If the cruise goes ahead and we haven’t canceled we will not get refund and don’t want a credit as we are all booked for hols for the next couple of years . BA flights dont need to be paid till 3 weeks before flight so hopefully will know by then and maybe BA will cancel anyway then we wont loose deposit. If not we will cancel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

August 1st,  Equinox sails out of Ft Lauderdale heading south.   3 trips before we leave on the 23rd for 12 nt Caribbean.   Anybody been to Walmart or Home depot lately?  Or your crowded local grocery store?   Public transportation has ramped up cleaning.  That ship will be shining...I'm staying positive

• Like 1

For European sailings I think it's important to realise that all cruise ships will be subject to the regulations of the countries of ports that want to dock in. So If a ship visits several countries, it will have to comply with each of their restrictions.

Even around the uk cruises aren't that simple as Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland each have their own different restrictions on travel etc. At the moment I think a mandatory 14day quarantine is required for all people entering the uk, so if you are from the uk... You could do an around the uk cruise... But best to stick to England, as Scotland and NI might not let the ship dock.

16 hours ago, Oville said:

"..........

We are leaving FL Monday back to our home on Cape Cod  (a month late) but have been concerned here in Naples since the numbers have gone up....."

Timing seems good to leave Fl for home up north.  Our friends also extended their season in Fla and  flew back a few days ago.  They are happy to be home although it is more restricted in NY than in Fla.    Weather is beautiful here. Things are  opening up but very slowly....unless you are a protest marcher ( no masks or distancing enforced which could be a health risk)

We have booked  our return flights to Fla for Nov...Not sure if we will go back and forth for the holidays,  Still hoping our Jan cruise happens but will accept if it does not. No choice,