Will it ever be safe..

bitemyfly

@richfret

Hang in there.  There will be cruising again one day.  One thing about cruising many people like is that it can be planned down to the last bite, balcony angle to a sunset and favorite cruise director.  All-inclusive resorts can be nearly as comfortable & planned and may be your best option until cruises resume.

@FiredogCruiser

I personally don’t see politics playing as much of a role in cruises resuming as some others.  However the ultimate deciding body is the CDC/Coast Guard first then state/local next.  The details being worked out are mostly between the CDC and the cruise lines themselves.  Those 2 groups must continue to work closely together even after cruising resumes to avoid future interruption.

• Like 1

IMO, it is an oversimplification to say it comes down to CDC vs Cruise lines. The wildcard is the cooperation of the American public and without masks, social distancing, testing contact tracing, and any other  guidelines. And that's no politics - its lack of respect.

• Like 3

Yesterday a storm blew through and caused tree debris to litter the area.  Today I twisted my ankle when I accidentally stepped on a fallen pine cone while on my morning walk.  Tomorrow, I will watch more carefully for fallen debris....

Nothing is ever fool-proof, 100% safe. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yesterday a storm blew through and caused tree debris to litter the area.  Today I twisted my ankle when I accidentally stepped on a fallen pine cone while on my morning walk.  Tomorrow, I will watch more carefully for fallen debris....

Nothing is ever fool-proof, 100% safe. 

Fortunately, when you twisted your ankle you didn’t fall over and knock a bunch of people to the ground causing broken wrists and concussions.  Also, you get to go out again tomorrow if your ankle is OK instead of having a date at the ICU with a ventilator.  I think the idea of risk in life needs to be assessed in conjunction with the possible consequences of the action/activity.

• Like 3

On 6/26/2020 at 2:03 PM, firefly333 said:

Was it ever safe before? There were noro outbreaks, hurricanes, I lost my car to the one hit Galveston.

Life never was 100%, at some pt you either are willing to life and do what you want as allowed or not. I'll sign up for 1st vaccine and sign a waiver,... whatever it takes.

There have always been risks 

Same here. I'll wait for the vaccine and I'll sign a waiver, but after 35 cruises, I'm just not going to do the mask and social distancing if that turns out to be the case. It just wouldn't be cruising as I've come to know it. Pointless.

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Fortunately, when you twisted your ankle you didn’t fall over and knock a bunch of people to the ground causing broken wrists and concussions.  Also, you get to go out again tomorrow if your ankle is OK instead of having a date at the ICU with a ventilator.  I think the idea of risk in life needs to be assessed in conjunction with the possible consequences of the action/activity.

Very true.

• Like 2

The safest way would be to get a vaccine ready to be used right when you get sick. I dont see any other reason to feel safe. As long as we will know that there is a medicine that can help us and even save our lives - only in this case we will be 100% sure that the trip will be safe 

31 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The safest way would be to get a vaccine ready to be used right when you get sick. I dont see any other reason to feel safe. As long as we will know that there is a medicine that can help us and even save our lives - only in this case we will be 100% sure that the trip will be safe 

That would be a treatment not a vaccine.

• Like 1

For as long as I can remember I have taken a vacation every year or two or three times a year.  Cruising has been my preferred vacation since I took the first one in 1993.  That being said, I am in the high risk group and I believe that 2021 will probably be the first year that I do not take the two cruises I have booked in January or the family one booked for February.  The September one that was scheduled to go to Canada, I cancelled before the cruise line.  I also will not be going to most likely not take any vacation in 2021.  I am 65 with underlying conditions and have elderly parents that I also look after and need to protect.  I go to work, the grocery store and pharmacy.  I can social distance at work and I wear my mask when I have to go into a store.  Of course, I am also not attending even family birthday parties or weddings either.  I think this is a choice that every person has to make for themselves but for me the risk is too high.  I am looking forward to being able to cruise again in the future and I am waiting until final payment in October for the January cruises.  I also have two cruises for 2022 that I will keep hoping that there will be a vaccine by then that would make me feel safe enough to go.  For the people who will take the risk and resume cruising, I look forward to seeing the trip through your eyes and truly wish you a safe voyage.

• Like 8

As long as we (Americans) continue to disobey the recommended rules then we will remain unsafe. I don't know of any Cruise Line that is willing to take on the potential "law suits" that may originate from potential outbreaks on the ships? We can't even agree to wear mask even if it means a bit of discomfort. Mask wearing is not a statement of acceptance; It's an attempt to influence life safety!          

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Explorer Dream to Resume Cruising in Taiwan

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23152-explorer-dream-resume-cruising-in-taiwan.html

but Taiwan has low covid numbers

This is very positive.  Obviously, we are not in the same place with numbers as Taiwan but it will be interesting to follow how things go for them as they start up.  Thanks for posting!

16 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

As long as we (Americans) continue to disobey the recommended rules then we will remain unsafe. I don't know of any Cruise Line that is willing to take on the potential "law suits" that may originate from potential outbreaks on the ships? We can't even agree to wear mask even if it means a bit of discomfort. Mask wearing is not a statement of acceptance; It's an attempt to influence life safety!          

Apparently a lot of experts disagree.

https://www.sott.net/article/434796-The-Science-is-Conclusive-Masks-and-Respirators-do-NOT-Prevent-Transmission-of-Viruses

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Very interesting reading and opinion. We just recently lost a close neighbor who refused to wear her mask. I don't know the underlying conditions and/or the cause of her untimely passing, but I will say that she was "vocally against" wearing a mask in public. I also read quite a bit and listen to all the published experts. They all agree that "common sense" should also continue to prevail. I will not speak for everyone on this forum; however, my family will continue to protect ourselves by wearing mask wherever we travel outside. I will probably be easy to spot on my next Carnival Cruise as I will probably be wearing "two" mask!!  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

That's an interesting article.  I have always believed that the only way a high risk person can really protect themselves is to isolate and keep their distance from others.  I think masks may give many people a false sense of security and make them think they can control a virus.

• Like 1

Let's hope they allow us to speak! You can continue to shut the opinions and rhetoric down but eventually we have to mention the "good" and "not so good". You can't suppress a knowledge base that is trying to understand all sides of these situations!! 

My $.02

• Like 3

Just now, jetsfan58 said:

Let's hope they allow us to speak! You can continue to shut the opinions and rhetoric down but eventually we have to mention the "good" and "not so good". You can't suppress a knowledge base that is trying to understand all sides of these situations!! 

My $.02

Couldn't agree more.  Although, the knowledge base trying to understand all sides is vastly different from the bullying, name calling, and political jabs that have been repeatedly tossed around since the shut down began.  I applaud the mods for cleaning up the nastiness.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Couldn't agree more.  Although, the knowledge base trying to understand all sides is vastly different from the bullying, name calling, and political jabs that have been repeatedly tossed around since the shut down began.  I applaud the mods for cleaning up the nastiness.

Totally agree. I learned a long time ago and in my professional life that your chosen rhetoric will get you noticed (both positively and negatively). I always chose the "positive" route.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

That's an interesting article.  I have always believed that the only way a high risk person can really protect themselves is to isolate and keep their distance from others.  I think masks may give many people a false sense of security and make them think they can control a virus.

Hi 

I understand you point of view, but I think that it is better than doing nothing. 

It feels like that is the fall back position of those that feel they are not at risk and feel no obligation to the society that gives them their "rights". Whether it's masks, or social distancing, etc., of course it's easier to do nothing, but what is the consequence of inaction. I think we have had enough time to assess the do nothing plan.

We know and can see how certain measures will make things better in time and the opposite as well. If people choose to not do anything different, then nothing will change. If nothing changes, it will be a "long" time before I can even enter the U.S., let alone go on a cruise.

Just now, Nic6318 said:

Hi 

I understand you point of view, but I think that it is better than doing nothing. 

It feels like that is the fall back position of those that feel they are not at risk and feel no obligation to the society that gives them their "rights". Whether it's masks, or social distancing, etc., of course it's easier to do nothing, but what is the consequence of inaction. I think we have had enough time to assess the do nothing plan.

We know and can see how certain measures will make things better in time and the opposite as well. If people choose to not do anything different, then nothing will change. If nothing changes, it will be a "long" time before I can even enter the U.S., let alone go on a cruise.

I actually wear a mask when at the store and when getting my hair cut.  However, I don't think my in-laws would be safe at all doing their own shopping with people wearing cloth and disposable masks.  I think it would put them at risk because the virus can pass right through those masks.  So, my point was that high risk people should not depend on other people wearing masks to protect their own health.  They need to keep their distance.