Will it ever be safe..

bitemyfly

Let me throw in another point. There is certainly much ongoing discussion world wide regarding the efficacy of certain masks. If we (that readily choose to) are to wear the "best and highest" quality masks (those that retard the majority of the viral contaminants), then should our powers to be provide that option to all for purchase (of course at a reasonable purchase price)? 

Sounds Like a viable solution to me.

5 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I actually wear a mask when at the store and when getting my hair cut.  However, I don't think my in-laws would be safe at all doing their own shopping with people wearing cloth and disposable masks.  I think it would put them at risk because the virus can pass right through those masks.  So, my point was that high risk people should not depend on other people wearing masks to protect their own health.  They need to keep their distance.

Masks are not intended to be a replacement for social distancing. Face coverings of any kind combined with social distancing are very effective. 

Edited by Doggielover68

On 6/29/2020 at 12:45 PM, Nic6318 said:

Hi 

I understand you point of view, but I think that it is better than doing nothing. 

It feels like that is the fall back position of those that feel they are not at risk and feel no obligation to the society that gives them their "rights". Whether it's masks, or social distancing, etc., of course it's easier to do nothing, but what is the consequence of inaction. I think we have had enough time to assess the do nothing plan.

We know and can see how certain measures will make things better in time and the opposite as well. If people choose to not do anything different, then nothing will change. If nothing changes, it will be a "long" time before I can even enter the U.S., let alone go on a cruise.

I agree.  I wear a mask to protect you.  You wear a mask to protect me. My opinion is that the ones refusing to wear masks are just a little bit selfish.  On my own selfish note, I do trade shows and farmers markets for a living.  Markets are open, but trade shows have obviously been cancelled since march.  We have lost 28 shows so far.  We have about 30 more for the year and I expect pretty much all of them to be cancelled as well.  It's a significant financial hit.  If fall is also closed, it will be double.  I have been encountering customers that wear masks and some that want to talk to me for 5 minutes about why they don't wear one. It's not just you that you are hurting when you don't follow the rules. It's all of us. That being said, I do have a cruise booked for the end of January.  I booked it with an open mind, but if it's cancelled or we choose to cancel, I am sadly ok with that. Stay safe everyone!

• Like 6

This is all about risk management. Cruise lines are going to create protocols to mitigate the risk of getting infections-require masks, disperse crowded venues, urge washing of hands. The rest is up to you. If you cannot abide by these protocols, if you think your health would be at risk because of your current underlying health issues, then don't cruise. Don't complain because you can't cruise, either. 

On 6/27/2020 at 5:49 PM, tree.critter said:

My fear is that the cruise lines won’t sail until a vaccine is readily available. I do have hope that this will be by early 2021.

Most of the experts I trust say it will be at least a year from now until there is a vaccine that we can actually receive at a clinic. One may be developed way before then, but trials take time to be 100% sure they are safe and effective, and then it takes time to mass produce and distribute them to every person.

So Summer 2021 if we are lucky.

If the cruise lines sail before there is a vaccine and we all have received it and let it take effect (that's a big IF) then they will most certainly have to implement social distancing measures. It is inconceivable there will packed ships - so how will the cruise lines make money?

What will those social distancing measures look like? Sparsely populated sun decks? Reservations for the few tables left in the buffet? Reduced seating in the bars, restaurants, theaters, clubs (which were never that big to begin with?) Fewer seats on tenders?

Which ports want a cruise ship to dock (and possibly infect an island with limited health services?)

What about passengers who won't wear masks and are sneezing? Forget the chair hogs, we'll be talking about air hogs! How much of a fun ship will that be?

I read a few comments to the effect "life is getting short, to heck with it, I'm going"... but I think they miss the point. They won't be going on the same cruise they had been on in the past. They will be going on a stripped-down, social-distancing cruise which has not even been disclosed in any detail yet. We don't know what we would be getting!

I'm not sure folks have given much thought to what a cruise will be like going forward. It definitely will not be the same experience as it was.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, salty dingo said:

Most of the experts I trust say it will be at least a year from now until there is a vaccine that we can actually receive at a clinic. One may be developed way before then, but trials take time to be 100% sure they are safe and effective, and then it takes time to mass produce and distribute them to every person.

So Summer 2021 if we are lucky.

If the cruise lines sail before there is a vaccine and we all have received it and let it take effect (that's a big IF) then they will most certainly have to implement social distancing measures. It is inconceivable there will packed ships - so how will the cruise lines make money?

What will those social distancing measures look like? Sparsely populated sun decks? Reservations for the few tables left in the buffet? Reduced seating in the bars, restaurants, theaters, clubs (which were never that big to begin with?) Fewer seats on tenders?

Which ports want a cruise ship to dock (and possibly infect an island with limited health services?)

What about passengers who won't wear masks and are sneezing? Forget the chair hogs, we'll be talking about air hogs! How much of a fun ship will that be?

I read a few comments to the effect "life is getting short, to heck with it, I'm going"... but I think they miss the point. They won't be going on the same cruise they had been on in the past. They will be going on a stripped-down, social-distancing cruise which has not even been disclosed in any detail yet. We don't know what we would be getting!

I'm not sure folks have given much thought to what a cruise will be like going forward. It definitely will not be the same experience as it was.

Unless we get herd immunity, I agree with you.

But actually the US may be the first to achieve herd immunity, how perverted is that?

Just now, chipmaster said:

Unless we get herd immunity, I agree with you.

But actually the US may be the first to achieve herd immunity, how perverted is that?

Probably would have worked in April if we had done the herd immunity. But too much hysteria. Now, who knows? Originally we were supposed to keep the hospital beds occupancy down. No one was tested unless they had a fever (or knew someone-NBA bb players...). Now its turned into no one can get it because they will die.  So the masks are still here and the social distancing 4 months later. Testing has increased which accounts for higher #'s. In regards to cruising, who knows? Hopefully by November, this will pass.

2 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

How Do You Spell Relief?  "Patience"

That's what we have to practice. We have no choice in the matter! 

not at all. There's nothing we can do until the next round of cancellations.

Special events have always changed the normal approach to doing things.

The attack in Oklahoma many years ago caused most places to install metal detectors before entering buildings. We see that everywhere now, even though the guy or guys that bombed that federal building in Oklahoma are no longer with us. 

Now, we have this Covid19 and the new normal is being written and is going to be with us forever. Cruises will never be the same, and for a lot of us, they will not be on our list of things to do anymore. 

I hope I'm wrong, but i'm usually right more than not. 

So, we'll see. 

OBTW, it doesn't matter of we'll ever be safe or not. These new normal guidelines are here to stay.

2 hours ago, coevan said:

proven to be a false narrative

The amount of cases has "gone exponentially up" yet the amount of deaths has stayed relatively the same. We can justify whatever technicality we want to push whatever statement we want. At the end of the day, more people are being tested. More people are coming up without symptoms. Smaller percentages of those being tested are found negative. Deaths are staying constant. The best counter to this is "well it's younger people who are making up the cases". Right now the enemy is "cases". Largely asymptomatic too. That sounds like a false narrative more than anything else to me.

Then there's countless instances out there of people in authority saying people dying with COVID are counted as COVID deaths. Not necessarily because of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Radiioman46 said:

Special events have always changed the normal approach to doing things.

The attack in Oklahoma many years ago caused most places to install metal detectors before entering buildings. We see that everywhere now, even though the guy or guys that bombed that federal building in Oklahoma are no longer with us. 

Now, we have this Covid19 and the new normal is being written and is going to be with us forever. Cruises will never be the same, and for a lot of us, they will not be on our list of things to do anymore. 

I hope I'm wrong, but i'm usually right more than not. 

So, we'll see. 

OBTW, it doesn't matter of we'll ever be safe or not. These new normal guidelines are here to stay.

I agree with you 100 percent. People frequently post on this site that they will wait for things to return to normal or they will wait for a vaccine before they cruise again. I have a feeling these people are going to be waiting a long time (i.e. multiple years or even longer). I also doubt things will ever get back to the normal we knew prior to this virus when it comes to cruising.

It’s amazing that people in this country as a whole can’t do simple things like wear a mask, social distance from others and wash hands frequently, which would have made a huge difference in where we are today. Like my favorite Colonel in the Air Force used to say, “you can’t fix stupid”. Unfortunately there is a lot of that going on in our country today. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here's a thought. Cruise ships are absolutely dependent on elevators. How, even

with reduced capacity, can social distancing be practiced on an elevator if the

CDC lifts it's 'No-Sail' order?

Just think about embarkation day or the mob scene after the muster drill.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, atanac said:

We walk on the stairs after the muster drill, though that too is a mob scene.

8 minutes ago, atanac said:

These are all the things I have been saying since March.  I have been ridiculed ever since.  Realistic thoughts are seen as pessimistic and unwelcomed by many.  I don't see any way the cruise lines can make it safe to cruise anytime soon, especially given the fact that so many see the virus as a hoax and feel wearing masks and social distancing makes you a sheep.  In order for the lines to make cruising safe during the time of the virus they would have to make it extremely unprofitable.  Corporations are not in business to lose money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We walk on the stairs after the muster drill, though that too is a mob scene.

Be careful of all the people wheezing uncontrollably through their thin, ill-worn masks.  Also, wash your hands thoroughly after running them all over the handrails.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Be careful of all the people wheezing uncontrollably through their thin, ill-worn masks.  Also, wash your hands thoroughly after running them all over the handrails.

So you should not use the elevator or the stairs.

"Beam me up Scotty." Will that be the only way to go?

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So you should not use the elevator or the stairs.

"Beam me up Scotty." Will that be the only way to go?

By the time cruising begins again those transporters will have been installed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2