Hurtigruten starts ex-UK Cruises in September - Celebrity to follow?

york survey

So why have I posted this on the Celebrity board?

Hurtigruten are not one of the big 3 cruise companies but with 16 ships they are NOT a small player either.

The point is 14 of their ships will be back in service at the start of September. Visiting only home nations (depart Norway going round Norway / Depart UK going round UK) and almost exclusively for locals (called drive to passengers)

It makes a lot of sense and results in automatic reduced capacity due to travel restrictions. It appears an ideal way to get started.

It's getting to the point where Celebrity must be contemplation no restart until Spring 2021 but this would give them a start up option. I've said for some time that Apex will be the first ship back running a late summer season out of Southampton. 

My full restart guess!!!!!!

Apex - Staying in Europe - starts FULL program in Spring 2021 - Does some of Silhouette Fall cruises out of Southampton starting late September 

Constellation - Cold layup in Med - Starts Europe program Spring 2021 - Or sold!!

Infinity - Cold layup in Med - Starts Europe program Spring 2021 - Or sold!!

Edge - First ship to restart in Caribbean - Will do the Infinity short duration cruises  Winter Season

Equinox - Will restart Late 2020/Early 2021 on planned itinerary as longer cruises become acceptable

Solstice - Will cover either her Australia Winter 2020/Spring 2021 cruises or Cover Millennium Asia cruises depending on demand and flight availability

Millennium - Cold layup - restart Alaska season 2021

Eclipse - Cold layup - restart Alaska season 2021

Summit - Cold layup - restart North East Season Summer 2021

Reflection - Cold Layup - restart dependent on demand But could be Europe 2021 

Silhouette - Europe 2020 and South America 2021/2021 cancelled - New short Caribbean cruises introduced starting Early 2021

I wonder how the Galapagos will fare?

We have had 4 cruises cancelled this year and our next one is in April to the Galapagos.

Will be gutted if that one is cancelled too as it's a bucket list one for us!

Hey ho 

• Like 1

If Celebrity has the opportunity to safely resume operations in EU and UK with drive-to passengers only, I would hope they jump into high gear and do it!  First, it will start generating revenue again and second, it would allow them to try out the new safety measures currently being discussed.  This will be very important as nothing that looks good on paper comes to life without some unexpected issues arising...that will need to be ironed out.  Fingers crossed you are right!

50 minutes ago, york survey said:

So why have I posted this on the Celebrity board?

Hurtigruten are not one of the big 3 cruise companies but with 16 ships they are NOT a small player either.

The point is 14 of their ships will be back in service at the start of September. Visiting only home nations (depart Norway going round Norway / Depart UK going round UK) and almost exclusively for locals (called drive to passengers)

It makes a lot of sense and results in automatic reduced capacity due to travel restrictions. It appears an ideal way to get started.

It's getting to the point where Celebrity must be contemplation no restart until Spring 2021 but this would give them a start up option. I've said for some time that Apex will be the first ship back running a late summer season out of Southampton. 

My full restart guess!!!!!!

Apex - Staying in Europe - starts FULL program in Spring 2021 - Does some of Silhouette Fall cruises out of Southampton starting late September 

Constellation - Cold layup in Med - Starts Europe program Spring 2021 - Or sold!!

Infinity - Cold layup in Med - Starts Europe program Spring 2021 - Or sold!!

Edge - First ship to restart in Caribbean - Will do the Infinity short duration cruises  Winter Season

Equinox - Will restart Late 2020/Early 2021 on planned itinerary as longer cruises become acceptable

Solstice - Will cover either her Australia Winter 2020/Spring 2021 cruises or Cover Millennium Asia cruises depending on demand and flight availability

Millennium - Cold layup - restart Alaska season 2021

Eclipse - Cold layup - restart Alaska season 2021

Summit - Cold layup - restart North East Season Summer 2021

Reflection - Cold Layup - restart dependent on demand But could be Europe 2021 

Silhouette - Europe 2020 and South America 2021/2021 cancelled - New short Caribbean cruises introduced starting Early 2021

My best guess (with no crystal or magic 8-ball) is that the Asia season will kick off with nationality restrictions.   Seaborn is doing Japan / Taiwan right now with restrictions.   Smaller ship but a barometer of how it’s going in that region.

Japan is slowing opening up for tourism:
https://www.traveloffpath.com/japan-prepares-reopening-border-for-tourism/

and again no crystal ball, but thinking out loud that it might continue to open up for cruises with limited nationalities in their transition plan (see below, quote from article).

"According to the Japanese government, they are planning to first reopen borders to:

• Vietnam
  • Thailand
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Taiwan
  • South Korea
  • China
  • Myanmar
  • Singapore
  • Brunei

First, Japan intends to reopen to business travelers, investors and other essential visitors from the above countries, then allowing in students, and finally general tourists."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

If Celebrity has the opportunity to safely resume operations in EU and UK with drive-to passengers only, I would hope they jump into high gear and do it!  First, it will start generating revenue again and second, it would allow them to try out the new safety measures currently being discussed.  This will be very important as nothing that looks good on paper comes to life without some unexpected issues arising...that will need to be ironed out.  Fingers crossed you are right!

Absolutely!   Start up in regions who are opening back up to tourism, even with nationality restrictions.  Get some cruises out there and bring in some revenue, while testing new protocols.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, york survey said:

Yes, you keep repeating the same mantra without any corroborating evidence.

I'm waiting for X's official announcements.

• Thanks 1

Where do you get that Seabourn is cruising Japan right now, please? The Seabourn forum says nothing about that at all. Also one poster said all 5 ships are currently just floating around like RCI, Celebrity, etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Seaborn is doing Japan / Taiwan right now with restrictions.

Well, is doesn't seem so. At least as of the date of this update from the Seabourn page:

Screenshot (95).png

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

I called Madam Cleo at the Psychic Friends Hotline.

I am Madam Cleo and I thought I asked you to not share this information! Sheesh. You DON'T want to know what I see in YOUR future! 😎💥

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, awhfy said:

Hoping Constellation makes it to Tampa, we have b2b booked on her in March. Keeping fingers crossed 

Us  too for Jan 2021..but will not be not surprised if cancelled 

Celebrity Eclipse is scheduled to be cruising out of Sydney, Australia from December 2020, with this in mind we've booked a cruise for February 2021 hoping that Celebrity will form a Bubble between Australia & New Zealand - fingers crossed!!

Anyone have an opinion?

56 minutes ago, GeroWA said:

Celebrity Eclipse is scheduled to be cruising out of Sydney, Australia from December 2020, with this in mind we've booked a cruise for February 2021 hoping that Celebrity will form a Bubble between Australia & New Zealand - fingers crossed!!

Anyone have an opinion?

The way things are going I think your chances of getting to Australia are low.

Just to throw in a piece of information...

European cruise lines are starting to offer short "cruises to nowhere" from July/August on.

In Germany AIDA, TUI Cruises and Hapag-Lloyd Cruises offer cruises from German ports ( eg Norwegian Fjords from Hamburg). FYI: Aida belongs to Carnival. TUI is a joint Venture with Royal, started with two former Celebrity ships Mercury, Galaxy.

They sail with a reduced capacity around 60% and veranda staterooms and suites only. There will be no stops. The cruises can already be booked - prices are reasonable (around € 600).

So this can be seen as a dimm light at the end of the tunnel. And for sure as a field study...

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GeroWA said:

Anyone have an opinion?

As things currently stand, neither the Eclipse nor any other cruise ship is allowed to enter ports within the Australia/New Zealand bubble. I don't see that changing in the short term, but February is a slim possibility. 

The Hurtigruton UK short expedition cruises look like an absolute bargain especially as an introduction for the Roald Amundsen   - reduced from 500 to 350 guest and some fantastic itineraries.. Im sold.. 

Cant really see Celeb starting up in Sep unless they follow a similar plan (which will be harder to do due to the ship size)  and do all UK ports or stick to one country or simply do the cruise to nowehere but only to the residents of the dep/rtn countrys port..  Hurtigruton have a huge advantage in how they control numbers - they can appease countries permissions easier by having low capacity on the explorer ships - And they actually perform a service in Norway thats essential on the coastal ships(which technically you can cruise on now - as long as you can get to the port which is now possible from the uk)

Edited by ighten
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 6:50 PM, K12Guy said:

Well, is doesn't seem so. At least as of the date of this update from the Seabourn page:

Screenshot (95).png

Apologies!  it was in an article that i had shared, now going back to it - it was edited and cruise references gone.  UGH.

9 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

FCO advice has been available in an unedited (not a Independent news click bait version)  for weeks...  Bit I agree Hurti works - Celeb (unless they run with less than 400 guests) no chance..   Even if they did the crew numbers are too high...

Anyway cant think what reminded me but im off to play some rush YYZ

Edited by ighten

2 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Apologies!  it was in an article that i had shared, now going back to it - it was edited and cruise references gone.  UGH.

No need to apologize. Information is changing in a heartbeat these days.

Interesting post, by the way.

Tommy

• Thanks 1