Jump to content

How are you deciding if (and when) you may book a cruise again?


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

KTS, you clearly are not reading the correct reports, the joint communique put out by the EU and the CLIA talked about reserving 5% of cabin accommodation for quarantine purposes, and it laid out the need to seek port and govt. assurance that sick patients requiring hospital treatment would be allowed to be disembarked.  There were lots of other safety issues quoted as well, granted this was not from a specific cruise line, but since the CLIA speaks for the entire industry that ought to be sufficient even for a died in the wool sceptic like you.


Isn't that the challenge though John? What happens if they don’t agree to it? Perhaps I still have my blinkers on 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:


Isn't that the challenge though John? What happens if they don’t agree to it? Perhaps I still have my blinkers on 😉

If certain ports or countries do not agree then I imagine they will be deleted from the itineraries, but as usual money will prevail and they will toe the line once they realise their bread will no longer be buttered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davecttr said:

It appears that Carnival will be using the short Aida cruises to test the onboard measures with real passengers. What to do if someone tests positive is simplified by cruising to nowhere and using  Germany as the test bed. Maybe the people of Germany are less unruly subjects than the British

 

I know it's a stereotype, but generally speaking, the Germans do obey rules in my experience, and this must help with testing the water.  As a frequent visitor (we once owned a flat in Germany), and with German friends, I am still amazed at the number of times we stand at road crossings, with little-to-no oncoming traffic, while Germans wait until the green man gives permission to cross - and yes, I know it sets a good and safe example for children!  Maybe a good test bed for the re-start of cruising, added to the fact that they seem to have the Covid-19 largely under control barring the odd localised (small) outbreak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

 

I know it's a stereotype, but generally speaking, the Germans do obey rules in my experience, and this must help with testing the water.  As a frequent visitor (we once owned a flat in Germany), and with German friends, I am still amazed at the number of times we stand at road crossings, with little-to-no oncoming traffic, while Germans wait until the green man gives permission to cross - and yes, I know it sets a good and safe example for children!  Maybe a good test bed for the re-start of cruising, added to the fact that they seem to have the Covid-19 largely under control barring the odd localised (small) outbreak.

I agree. German citizens tend to behave much more sensibly than we do, as do the Scandinavians and quite a few others. Driving on German autobahns was a positive pleasure because nobody hogged the outer lanes, and after overtaking everyone moves straight back again. Just sensible, logical behaviour, and we don’t seem too good at that any more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Interesting recent comments here from the Carnival CEO on 2021 bookings, the German cruises, and what they’re doing about Coronavirus.

 

Spot the Freudian slip at around 04:25........

 

 

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/07/10/carnival-corporation-ceo-arnold-donald-on-surging-2021-bookings.html

Interesting.Thank you.With the Freudian slip perhaps he's not as confident as he appears!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ann141 said:

Interesting.Thank you.With the Freudian slip perhaps he's not as confident as he appears!

He seemed pretty confident, until he realised what he’d said, that there’d probably  be cases of Covid onboard, didn’t he!  Not exactly reassuring for what was supposed to be a reassuring interview.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

He seemed pretty confident, until he realised what he’d said, that there’d probably  be cases of Covid onboard, didn’t he!  Not exactly reassuring for what was supposed to be a reassuring interview.

If he had said there would not be any cases on board you would have accused him of being unrealistic, is anyone perfect in your opinion, other than Harry?

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If he had said there would not be any cases on board you would have accused him of being unrealistic, is anyone perfect in your opinion, other than Harry?

Not sure why you had to try to turn this into an argument, but if it makes you happy I’ll just agree with you.  😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not sure why you had to try to turn this into an argument, but if it makes you happy I’ll just agree with you.  😀

I'm sorry Harry, I thought you were Carnival bashing again, forgive me If I was wrong.😇

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 8:20 PM, KnowTheScore said:

Yet another thread asking what would get people back to cruising?   It's as if cruise line operatives are at work doing research ! lol

 

Nothing has changed.

 

The single most damning problem facing P&O and  any other cruise line remains the same

 

That is . . .

 

What protocols will the cruise line follow IF a passenger or crew member is confirmed (or even suspected) to have COVID-19?

 

Until cruise lines stop prevaricating on this issue and trying to hide behind cosmetic matters of social distancing and mask wearing and buffet serving, nothing will change and it will remain Game Over for the cruise industry as a whole.

 

They HAVE to provide a formally stated solution to what will happen when someone on-board gets COVID-19.

 

If the protocol is still what we all saw on the Diamond Princess then so long and thanks for all the fish.  The industry is dead at that point.

 

So the wait continues.  7 months since the first UK cases appeared and still I have seen no cruise line put out any kind of statement as to how they propose to deal with on-board cases of COVID-19.

 

We have no choice therefore but to assume they would still quarantine EVERY passenger to cabins for 1-2 weeks ala Diamond Princess.

 

That is not a tennable holiday proposition.

 

Ball remains in their court

 

Tick tock

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

I think your post almost destroyed me in some way. I consider myself an astute business woman etc etc but my husbands death so early and unexpected floored me. I just wanted to ask a question that was determined by my needs. I am sorry you felt it repetitive and unnecessary. As it happens the replies really helped me. Thanks to those that posted. Don't worry

 Know the score you can be sure I won't start any further threads to bore you with. FFS I thought this was a cruise forum where you could ask questions via a thread and that moderators would combine or let you know if not suitable seems not so and  I was wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ccpm said:

I think your post almost destroyed me in some way. I consider myself an astute business woman etc etc but my husbands death so early and unexpected floored me. I just wanted to ask a question that was determined by my needs. I am sorry you felt it repetitive and unnecessary. As it happens the replies really helped me. Thanks to those that posted. Don't worry

 Know the score you can be sure I won't start any further threads to bore you with. FFS I thought this was a cruise forum where you could ask questions via a thread and that moderators would combine or let you know if not suitable seems not so and  I was wrong.

Please don't don't  let one insignificant, inconsiderate and argumentative 'KnowItAll' upset you. He is most definitely in the minority. Do what most of us do and ignore him. He'll go back to sleep soon😴. This post will most likely be removed but I hope you get to read it first. 

Avril 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Please don't don't  let one insignificant, inconsiderate and argumentative 'KnowItAll' upset you. He is most definitely in the minority. Do what most of us do and ignore him. He'll go back to sleep soon😴. This post will most likely be removed but I hope you get to read it first. 

Avril 

Hear hear, Avril, and well said. 

 

ccpm - you can safely ignore one of the few troublemakers on here but I'm so sorry you were upset by him. To any normal person your question was perfectly reasonable and you got quite a few sensible replies so please don't be deterred from posting again.🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ccpm said:

I think your post almost destroyed me in some way. I consider myself an astute business woman etc etc but my husbands death so early and unexpected floored me. I just wanted to ask a question that was determined by my needs. I am sorry you felt it repetitive and unnecessary. As it happens the replies really helped me. Thanks to those that posted. Don't worry

 Know the score you can be sure I won't start any further threads to bore you with. FFS I thought this was a cruise forum where you could ask questions via a thread and that moderators would combine or let you know if not suitable seems not so and  I was wrong.

ccpm you can ask as many questions as you like and most of us are delighted to help you.

Our thoughts are with you for the devastating loss of your husband.

There is always 1 who wants to spoil your day and I can't understand why people are like that.

Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

CCPM.  Agree with the others.  Ignore those that upset you.  No question is invalid.  My condolences too. 

 

Was just about to post the same sentiments ,do not lose any sleep over people like that ,we all know the score

and they are not worth it. You take care CCPM ,the decent folk are only a post away should you need help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 12:59 PM, ccpm said:

I think your post almost destroyed me in some way. I consider myself an astute business woman etc etc but my husbands death so early and unexpected floored me. I just wanted to ask a question that was determined by my needs. I am sorry you felt it repetitive and unnecessary. As it happens the replies really helped me. Thanks to those that posted. Don't worry

 Know the score you can be sure I won't start any further threads to bore you with. FFS I thought this was a cruise forum where you could ask questions via a thread and that moderators would combine or let you know if not suitable seems not so and  I was wrong.

I'm so sorry this idiot made you feel like that... 

Ask away any questions, plenty of us are happy to help where we can. 

I wish I could ignore this fool like others suggest but he is antagonistic, spiteful and condescending, he really knows how to push my buttons.. 

They are right though, he is not deserving of our emotions. 

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 1:16 PM, Adawn47 said:

Please don't don't  let one insignificant, inconsiderate and argumentative 'KnowItAll' upset you. He is most definitely in the minority. Do what most of us do and ignore him. He'll go back to sleep soon😴. This post will most likely be removed but I hope you get to read it first. 

Avril 

Go girl... 

Well said Avril, the sentiments of most of us who use this forum. 

Thank you for being the voice of reason. 

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Go girl... 

Well said Avril, the sentiments of most of us who use this forum. 

Thank you for being the voice of reason. 

Andy 

I'm surprised the post is still there to be honest Andy. A lot milder posts than mine have been deleted. I don't know about the voice reason,  but I get so angry with people who will insist on spouting their own agenda with no regard for anyone else's feelings. I'll get off my soapbox now before I fall off or I'm  pushed 😆

Avril 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm surprised the post is still there to be honest Andy. A lot milder posts than mine have been deleted. I don't know about the voice reason,  but I get so angry with people who will insist on spouting their own agenda with no regard for anyone else's feelings. I'll get off my soapbox now before I fall off or I'm  pushed 😆

Avril 

Someone has to report your post first.

You are a friendly poster and probably why your post is still there.

Graham

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Someone has to report your post first.

You are a friendly poster and probably why your post is still there.

Graham

I'm a little worried that ccpm has not replied since. I hope she hasn't let that fool upset her and put her off. 

Avril 

 

Edited by Adawn47
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm a little worried that ccpm has not replied since. I hope she hasn't let that fool upset her and put her off. 

Avril 

 

I hope it hasn't put her off because there is a lot of nice posters on here but she did seem upset with that poster which is sad.

I come across at least 1 obnoxious stirring wind up merchant on RCL and Princess forums as well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...