How to justify a cruise, when you have to quarantine

Even if I had 10 extra days of sick leave???   It disappoints me that I can't just get a refund for all the cabins I have deposits on.  North Dakota is in the green color system...which means low!  However this is what the state site says...Movement Restrictions: When entering North Dakota from another country, you must quarantine at home and not attend work or school, avoid public gatherings or places where you may come into close contact with other people (i.e., shopping centers, movie theaters, sporting events) for 14 days after entering the United States. You must practice social distancing and avoid congregate settings.

I was sick and missed 3 weeks of work with covid like symptoms and received 80 hours time paid since I work for the state, I was tested twice & negative.  It took a lot of my sick leave & my co-workers would think I was crazy for cruising and then having to take 2 weeks off to recover...lol

Wow! Congrats to you considering where you live. I'm in Texas and have none of those restrictions, But...maybe that's why you are color green, instead of us being color red. Enjoy your State and consider yourself fortunate. N.D . is a beautiful State.

• Like 1

Our stats... https://www.health.nd.gov/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/north-dakota-coronavirus-cases  Our state is lower than many cities in a day.  It is a good thing, but I miss my adult children and grandson.  It's difficult being 2000 miles apart & looking forward to spending our time together on a cruise.  My son almost died on a cruise last year...thankful for the medic and Dr onboard.  Our short cruise was cut even shorter...was really hoping to be able to have the fun we intended last year.  Maybe we will have to rent a cabin in the mountains in Southern CA.  instead.  We get kind of stuck here in the winter...never knowing when we may be stormed in, so kind of hard to plan anything in the winter as far as a cruise.  Grateful we are all healthy

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

To point out the perhaps obvious, right now you can't cruise anywhere.

Once things improve to the point where you can cruise, I would suspect the local ND quarantine requirements will also be relaxed.

I know...makes me want to pout!!!  lol  I don't think we will be relaxing our travel in the next 3 weeks before final payments are due.  Our states in rising to 100+ cases a day this last month.  Our county had like 4 cases a month ago and now 38.  We are a very rural county...lol  about 7000 people.  Over half our cases are in Fargo.  

8 minutes ago, cruisinthemed said:

Our stats... https://www.health.nd.gov/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/north-dakota-coronavirus-cases  Our state is lower than many cities in a day.  It is a good thing, but I miss my adult children and grandson.  It's difficult being 2000 miles apart & looking forward to spending our time together on a cruise.  My son almost died on a cruise last year...thankful for the medic and Dr onboard.  Our short cruise was cut even shorter...was really hoping to be able to have the fun we intended last year.  Maybe we will have to rent a cabin in the mountains in Southern CA.  instead.  We get kind of stuck here in the winter...never knowing when we may be stormed in, so kind of hard to plan anything in the winter as far as a cruise.  Grateful we are all healthy

I'm thankful your son made it through his ordeal. Thank you Carnival for the medical team you have on board. Well...family comes first. If it is meant to be, you will be cruising. I hope so....if not you have a back up plan, which from where I am, is not a bad thing. 

I work from home so I'm not worried about having to quarantine for 14 days after I get back.  However, I am worried that if there is an outbreak on the ship, that they won't let passengers leave the ship (meaning, they quarantine the entire ship on the ship once it gets back to port).  I can work from home, I can't work from the ship! 

You'll have to worry about the scenario that if there is an outbreak on the ship, and they quarantine the ship for 2-3 weeks, then let you leave, you have another 2 weeks of quarantine back at home. That's 5-6 weeks from work, if you include your actual week of vacation.  I'm not sure any boss would be happy with an employee missing 5-6 weeks because of a vacation.

• Like 1

There is a zero percent chance I would take a trip that included an element of quarantining, either before, mid, or after the trip. I'm not sure when your cruise is scheduled, but if it's in 2020, I think likely to be cancelled any way making this issue moot. Either way, I would seriously considering cancelling. If you are before final payment you should be able to do it with a minimal penalty, certainly less than the cost of 2 weeks of sick days.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

You want to come to California? Why?? We're a hot mess with Covid and it ain't getting better.

Go figure.... and the entire state is required to wear masks...... its almost like masks don't work like widely reported.  hmmm.

Since we can't cruise, hubby and I along with our best friends (who happen to be our cruising buddies too) rented a cabin in the Smokies for a long weekend.  Had a ball!  It's not cruising, but it got us out of our homes and allowed us to relax and enjoy each others company.

11 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

Go figure.... and the entire state is required to wear masks...... its almost like masks don't work like widely reported.  hmmm.

That's because they didn't wear masks before it became a hot spot!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrPatches said:

That's because they didn't wear masks before it became a hot spot!

I don't buy it.  A 2 week incubation period means infections are occurring after the mask requirement was put in place at least 6 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, buckeyefrank said:

I don't buy it.  A 2 week incubation period means infections are occurring after the mask requirement was put in place at least 6 weeks ago.

It is well known many are asymptomatic thus you could have many asymptomatic - asymptomatic for weeks or months then one of the asymptomatic reach a superspreader situation of high risk folks and suddenly you have spike that becomes a local cluster.

It is also documented now that there are cases where it lingers for weeks on end before it explodes, a median incubation of 2 weeks means some get symptoms in days and others equally off the other side. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruisinthemed said:

Even if I had 10 extra days of sick leave???   It disappoints me that I can't just get a refund for all the cabins I have deposits on.  North Dakota is in the green color system...which means low!  However this is what the state site says...Movement Restrictions: When entering North Dakota from another country, you must quarantine at home and not attend work or school, avoid public gatherings or places where you may come into close contact with other people (i.e., shopping centers, movie theaters, sporting events) for 14 days after entering the United States. You must practice social distancing and avoid congregate settings.

When are these planned cruises?

Do you really think  they will be sailing from the USA anytime soon?

If overseas  cruises  I doubt you will be allowed into most Countries in Europe  as they have banned Americans

So  when do you think you will be going anywhere  & have the need to self quarantine ?

29 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

It is well known many are asymptomatic thus you could have many asymptomatic - asymptomatic for weeks or months then one of the asymptomatic reach a superspreader situation of high risk folks and suddenly you have spike that becomes a local cluster.

It is also documented now that there are cases where it lingers for weeks on end before it explodes, a median incubation of 2 weeks means some get symptoms in days and others equally off the other side. 

And a very recent experiment by the CDC that was just concluded showed no evidence that asymptomatic people can transmit the virus.  They put confirmed positive people in a room for 30 minutes without masks and found no trace of the virus anywhere.  They also found that symptomatic people are transmitting the disease onto a counter or table top where it's picked up by other people.  They found minimal transmission via the air.  Even with masks on the virus was settling on surfaces.

17 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

And a very recent experiment by the CDC that was just concluded showed no evidence that asymptomatic people can transmit the virus.  They put confirmed positive people in a room for 30 minutes without masks and found no trace of the virus anywhere.  They also found that symptomatic people are transmitting the disease onto a counter or table top where it's picked up by other people.  They found minimal transmission via the air.  Even with masks on the virus was settling on surfaces.

Link?  Sounds interesting. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

That is contradicting   statements

They found no trace of the virus anywhere

then they found the virus on counters etc???

What is it ?

So  best  way to control  the virus  is to stay in your home & clean all surfaces many times  a day

just incase you might be transmitting or someone else  might

STAY HOME

11 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

That is contradicting   statements

They found no trace of the virus anywhere

then they found the virus on counters etc???

What is it ?

So  best  way to control  the virus  is to stay in your home & clean all surfaces many times  a day

just incase you might be transmitting or someone else  might

STAY HOME

Not at all.  2 different groups.  One was confirmed asymptomatic that showed no trace of the virus.  The second was positive with symptoms.

3 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

Look at us in NJ, NY, CT, you won’t find anyone out without a mask, our cases dropped like crazy. We’ve been wearing them for a few months.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Look at us in NJ, NY, CT, you won’t find anyone out without a mask, our cases dropped like crazy. We’ve been wearing them for a few months.

I see hundreds of people every day from my bedroom window and 90% are not wearing masks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I see hundreds of people every day from my bedroom window and 90% are not wearing masks.

Really ?? I am surprised - here in CT  EVERYONE in stores or even walking near others are wearing masks.  I have to ask:  are you peering into other people’s bedrooms?  That might explain it.

• Haha 1