Captain Albert post about the Ryndam/Rotterdam name change

JazzyV

26 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The good Captain has gotten his Roman numerals wrong.  According to other information, the new Pinnacle Class vessel will be Rotterdam VII.

Yes, Appie is getting excited..

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Now if only the ship would do its summer 2021 departures from Rotterdam ( instead of out of amsterdamn) , it would be perfect ! 

We once did a sailing out of Rotterdam on the Rotterdam, it was amazing the number of people along the river banks waving at us.  It was in 2011 and I believe it was an inaugural sailing. 

• Like 2

Departing from Rotterdam on a cruise is wonderful .

When we were there the Shanty choir was serenading us from shore  in costume singing all the old sailor songs accompanied by accordion . Once we left the Wilhelmina Kade , right near the old Head Office of Holland Amerika ,all along the Nieuwe Waterweg  ( New Waterway ) towards the North Sea people were riding their bicicles and waving at us all the way to the piers of Hoek Van Holland  ( Hook of Holland ) where we entered the North Sea . 

The cruise terminal is also very close to where the Old SS Rotterdam  ( Rotterdam V) which is now a hotel and museum is moored.

Hope to leave from there again soon  and stay for at least one night on the SS Rotterdam the one I witnessed being " baptized "  by Queen Juliana in 1958 ..........

Tony :classic_biggrin:

DSCF2084.jpg

DSCF2090.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We once did a sailing out of Rotterdam on the Rotterdam, it was amazing the number of people along the river banks waving at us.  It was in 2011 and I believe it was an inaugural sailing. 

If, yes if, Fred Olsen and HAL do what many people in the Netherlands asked for,  they will let the m.s. Rotterdam cruise along the passenger terminal and the Brienenoord bridge in August before sailing to the dockyard. I bet "quite a few" dutchies will be alongside the river banks too for a goodbye to the ship...... 😪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Departing from Rotterdam on a cruise is wonderful .

When we were there the Shanty choir was serenading us from shore  in costume singing all the old sailor songs accompanied by accordion . Once we left the Wilhelmina Kade , right near the old Head Office of Holland Amerika ,all along the Nieuwe Waterweg  ( New Waterway ) towards the North Sea people were riding their bicicles and waving at us all the way to the piers of Hoek Van Holland  ( Hook of Holland ) where we entered the North Sea . 

The cruise terminal is also very close to where the Old SS Rotterdam  ( Rotterdam V) which is now a hotel and museum is moored.

Hope to leave from there again soon  and stay for at least one night on the SS Rotterdam the one I witnessed being " baptized "  by Queen Juliana in 1958 ..........

Tony :classic_biggrin:

IMG_8087.JPG

• Like 2

I’m glad to see that more people want the Rotterdam to depart from Rotterdam, as it should do . I was on the Rotterdam VI cruise in july 2019 , departing from amsterdam, and the captain apologized  . Many people in the Showroom at Sea cheered !

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

If you were on the same sailing we were, the crossing to New York, it was in honor of the last classic transatlantic crossing HAL did in november 1971 with the SS Nieuw Amsterdam. The 2011 sailing was Rotterdam-Southampton- New York - Cork - Rotterdam.

Indeed there were a lot of people waving goodbye, all along the river and fireworks in Hoek van Holland .
I’ve sailed out of Rotterdam 8 times , all on the Rotterdam, and there were always lots of people waving goodbye, not as many as on that special sailing but a few hundred everytime at least. 

59 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

I’m glad to see that more people want the Rotterdam to depart from Rotterdam, as it should do . I was on the Rotterdam VI cruise in july 2019 , departing from amsterdam, and the captain apologized  . Many people in the Showroom at Sea cheered !

Don't forget, money is made in Rotterdam, kept in Den Haag and spent in Amsterdam 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

If you were on the same sailing we were, the crossing to New York, it was in honor of the last classic transatlantic crossing HAL did in november 1971 with the SS Nieuw Amsterdam. The 2011 sailing was Rotterdam-Southampton- New York - Cork - Rotterdam.

Indeed there were a lot of people waving goodbye, all along the river and fireworks in Hoek van Holland .
I’ve sailed out of Rotterdam 8 times , all on the Rotterdam, and there were always lots of people waving goodbye, not as many as on that special sailing but a few hundred everytime at least. 

I sailed on the Amsterdam out of Rotterdam and nobody was there😏