Mandatory COVID Testing

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ncl and rcl just barely announced the new upgrades to their app that you can unlock your door and order from their app on 22 ships. They would have to require smart phones to travel of all pax even children. 

Maybe time to buy stock in Apple and Samsung since there will be such a demand for new phones.😇

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Ncl and rcl just barely announced the new upgrades to their app that you can unlock your door and order from their app on 22 ships. They would have to require smart phones to travel of all pax even children. 

I am simply saying that if there is a need for contact tracing on a ship I'm sure they are working on it.  Is Tui doing any contact tracing?  What are the others such as aida and costa cruise that all restart this month going to do?

If they are going to start out with navigator and mariner sailings with crew testing their new protocols maybe it will be part of testing a new tracing system.

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am simply saying that if there is a need for contact tracing on a ship I'm sure they are working on it.  Is Tui doing any contact tracing?  What are the others such as aida and costa cruise that all restart this month going to do?

If they are going to start out with navigator and mariner sailings with crew testing their new protocols maybe it will be part of testing a new tracing system.

Yes, like on land, they ask the person where they have been. They can check receipts of what the person bought. 

33 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You might want to read that again. The only Royal ships with that lock technology are Oasis, Harmony, Symphony, and the Quantum Class.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes, like on land, they ask the person where they have been. They can check receipts of what the person bought. 

I do recall the woman that posted live on tui cruise a week ago saying that anytime you were at buffet, dining room or a bar area with mask off they did register your seating location.

21 hours ago, Tapi said:

Let’s not make this more complicated than it has to be. 

- Tests don’t protect 100%
- Masks don’t protect 100%
- Distancing doesn’t protect 100%
- Heightened sanitation doesn’t protect 100%

BUT 

Tests + Masks + Distancing + heightened sanitation gets us as close to that coveted 100% as it’s possible at this time, and that’s why the cruise lines will be doing all of these when they restart.

We can sit here and analyze, protest, tear apart, and play online doctor or scientist all we want concerning these protocols. It won’t make a difference. Either we abide by them if we want to go cruising, or we don’t and stay home. 

Very well stated!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

I appreciate the participation but this thread is getting totally off top of my original post.

I think we have run this topic into the ground.

Both comments could be made for most threads lately 🙂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Hi Fellow Cruisers,

I appreciate the participation but this thread is getting totally off top of my original post.

I think we have run this topic into the ground.

You can hit the report post button in the top right and ask the mods to close your thread  Dr Molly 361

Edited by molly361
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

But then we have to find another thread to play on.

I believe that as far as a know according to the OP's parameters in post #1 only Doctor's should reply that you are the only one authorized to post on this thread😇

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I believe that as far as a know according to the OP's parameters in post #1 only Doctor's should reply that you are the only one authorized to post on this thread😇

Only professional doctors !  Unprofessional doctors are not to post . 

Edited by NHProud
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Simple trackers.  And the mouse is making a fortune selling specially themed ones.

2020-10-08 162537.jpg

Edited by GA Dave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I was doing a PhD in business here at UTD, I had a minor in industrial psychology. Did op specify doctor of what? Dont know a thing about medicine

I believe the instructions were you had to have an "MD" after your name.   I don't know anything about medicine either.  My PhD is in Statistics and Applied Probability.

What are your thoughts on Chair Hogs and Removing Gratuities (oh the good old days)? 

• Haha 1

s there a Professional Doctor on this thread that can answer my question about this article?

Question:  As the virus continues and spreads, won't the majority test "A-Symptomatic"?  If you are A-Symptomatic, you are not physically sick, but can spread it to others that are high risk that can get sick.  

If this is true, then when boarding 200 passengers, and if 80% of them test "A-Symptomatic", then they will not be allowed to board?  Eventually, there will be more A-Symptomatic thanCOVID Positive with physical symptoms.

How will this work?  

I will try to help with this explanation.  I am a practicing physician (MD).  

The mandatory pre-boarding testing would help determine which passengers are unknowingly positive for the Covid 19 virus.  If they are without any obvious symptoms (fever, cough, respiratory illness, loss of smell, etc...), then they may be “asymptomatic” carriers of the virus at that point of testing.  The testing would only be good for or reflective of the moment one is tested.  Those individuals may manifest symptoms and further illness if the infection progresses.  

If no further symptoms develop, these individuals usually then go on to clear the virus and develop antibodies (which provide some level of future protection from repeat infection).  

The CDC has provided guidelines that 10 days after a positive test alone (without any development of symptoms) a person can emerge from self-isolation and be among others.  But detectable virus may persist for several weeks.

For those who develop even mild symptoms and either test positive or have a known Covid 19 contact (hence assuming their symptoms are Covid related), then these should remain isolated until 10 days from onset of symptoms AND at least 24 hours free of any fever (without the use of fever reducing medications [i.e., Tylenol or Ibuprofen]) AND improvement in other symptoms.

We now routinely test those having anticipated elective surgery 3-5 days before the procedure and if negative, patients are encouraged to remain isolated and avoiding high risk contacts and exposures before their actual surgery day.  On the day of surgery, patients are not routinely retested but are queried about any development of Covid 19 symptoms.  If it seems likely that the patient may have Covid 19, he/she is then re-tested and surgery is postponed until that test result is verified as negative.  Surgery in the face of Covid 19 creates a higher risk for serious illness and recovery.  

So, one can test before boarding a cruise, but that is no guarantee of staying free of the virus going forward.  For example, between testing 5 days before the cruise and actually boarding the ship, one is likely to travel (by air or other public transportation modes) and/or stay in hotels or other non-home environments and/or dine in various restaurant settings - all of which carry some risk for exposure to Covid 19 and infection.

Testing again upon boarding may further catch a very small number of individuals who have since converted to positive exposures to the virus, but keep in mind that it takes 3-7 days from exposure to manifest a positive test and/or symptoms.

While it seems to be impossible to keep the Covid 19 virus completely ashore, the pre-boarding testing would reduce the numbers of some passengers and staff who are unknowingly positive.  Repeat testing upon boarding may further reduce some more.  But there may be still a few individuals who do not manifest symptoms or a positive test until a few days on board.  With the cruise ships then allowing for isolation/quarantine rooms and rapid on the spot testing and rapid intervention for any persons becoming symptomatic, they may be able to confine any of these few positive cases and avoid widespread infection.  

But then this begs the question about the quality of our cruise experience.  How will that be?  

I am sorry this is all so long-winded but hope the explanations are helpful.

Looking forward to cruising again,

Marty MD

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Domino D said:

I believe the instructions were you had to have an "MD" after your name.   I don't know anything about medicine either.  My PhD is in Statistics and Applied Probability.

What are your thoughts on Chair Hogs and Removing Gratuities (oh the good old days)? 

I'm going to use my stock obc to pay my tips. Painless. The rest goes on cc. I always figured they might want you back more if you wind up owing money. 

Being solo, it's hard to save my seat. I've given up. Luckily the solarium on rcl unlike carnival often I find a open seat. One of my favorite things about rcl.  I can find a chair.

11 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'm going to use my stock obc to pay my tips. Painless. The rest goes on cc. I always figured they might want you back more if you wind up owing money. 

Being solo, it's hard to save my seat. I've given up. Luckily the solarium on rcl unlike carnival often I find a open seat. One of my favorite things about rcl.  I can find a chair.

Keep in touch.  When we start cruising again, I'll be glad to put my flip flops on a chair for you.

2 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Keep in touch.  When we start cruising again, I'll be glad to put my flip flops on a chair for you.

Hopefully I'll be in my hump balcony my ta scored for me april 25th and it's a go. Sure and I'll help save your seat if you need. My first hump. Dont even know ports. I just want someone else to cook and some good dinners and lots and lots of salad I dont have to cut up. I cant wait for them to restart.

• Like 2