Jump to content

Where have The " regulars" Gone....DaiB....Selbourne....Andy...etc.


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Sorry to hear you have an eye problem Graham. I hope you get your operation soon. Eyesight is a precious thing and must be looked after.

Avril

Thanks Avril.

It is my right and good eye that has the Epiretinal Membrane which has caused the Macular hole.

I can see okay and read okay it is distance where road signs are okay with both eyes but blurry when I close my left eye and try to read the road signs with my right eye only.

They said a stronger lense will not correct this and an operation is the only solution to remove the Epiretinal Membrane which is under the normal eye membrane.☹️🧐

 

Edited by grapau27
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Avril.

It is my right and good eye that has the Epiretinal Membrane which has caused the Macular hole.

I can see okay and read okay it is distance where road signs are okay with both eyes but blurry when I close my left eye and try to read the road signs with my right eye only.

They said a stronger lense will not correct this and an operation is the only solution to remove the Epiretinal Membrane which is under the normal eye membrane.☹️🧐

 

 

I also have a Eye problem Graham mainly in my right Eye, similar to you my vision is blurred in that Eye.

I was referred to a specialist last year because of Cataracts, but he said I also have another complication and a Cataract operation could make things worse.

They are monitoring the situation and if it gets too bad I will need Cornea transplants

I was due for a other consultation in August but that has been postponed for how long I don't get know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

 

I also have a Eye problem Graham mainly in my right Eye, similar to you my vision is blurred in that Eye.

I was referred to a specialist last year because of Cataracts, but he said I also have another complication and a Cataract operation could make things worse.

They are monitoring the situation and if it gets too bad I will need Cornea transplants

I was due for a other consultation in August but that has been postponed for how long I don't get know.

I'm sorry to hear this Bloodaxe.

The condition started after my HA in December and I thought it was a reaction to my heart medications.

The eye hospital confirmed my macular hole in February and said wait and see.

I rang them late September saying I thought it was getting worse and they set up a new appointment quickly for yesterday.

I think if I hadn't rang I would have been forgotten about because of surgeries closed through Covid19 so it might help you if you ring them.

Good luck.

Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm sorry to hear this Bloodaxe.

The condition started after my HA in December and I thought it was a reaction to my heart medications.

The eye hospital confirmed my macular hole in February and said wait and see.

I rang them late September saying I thought it was getting worse and they set up a new appointment quickly for yesterday.

I think if I hadn't rang I would have been forgotten about because of surgeries closed through Covid19 so it might help you if you ring them.

Good luck.

Graham

 

I did recently receive a letter explaining the reason for the delay but I still have no date for the appointment, I have not been forgotten.

I am OK for now, my worry would be if I was advised to stop driving, but so far I am alright.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bloodaxe said:

 

I did recently receive a letter explaining the reason for the delay but I still have no date for the appointment, I have not been forgotten.

I am OK for now, my worry would be if I was advised to stop driving, but so far I am alright.

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have different problems in each eye and the beginnings of cataracts in both! When someone asks me what the matter with my eye is (because its red or similar)I have to ask them 'which eye?!' I am waiting a further appointment.(I was seen just over 3 months ago and told I would be seen again in 3 months but still waiting .Bizarrely neither of the problems in either eye cause any problems with my eyesight and the cataracts are caused by medication I am on.Hope your eye problems are sorted soon, Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I have different problems in each eye and the beginnings of cataracts in both! When someone asks me what the matter with my eye is (because its red or similar)I have to ask them 'which eye?!' I am waiting a further appointment.(I was seen just over 3 months ago and told I would be seen again in 3 months but still waiting .Bizarrely neither of the problems in either eye cause any problems with my eyesight and the cataracts are caused by medication I am on.Hope your eye problems are sorted soon, Graham.

Thanks Ann and I hope your eye problems are sorted soon too.

Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All,

 

Just to say that I am extremely grateful for the very kind words that so many of you posted after my message last night. They are very much appreciated. It was remiss of me in last nights post not to say that I was equally grateful for the countless positive messages, encouraging me to remain when I said that I was calling time a month or so ago.

 

Please don’t expect a flurry of posts from me though. I know that Social Media is very important to most people, but it’s not my thing. I’ve never used Facebook or Twitter or anything else for that matter. The P&O section of Cruise Critic was my sole venture into the online debating world, purely because we’ve been on all the P&O ships and could share some of our experiences. I know, from feedback received, that this has been appreciated, in the same way that we have appreciated the numerous tips we have received from others. 
 

To return to cruising, we aren’t booking anything yet. We remain of the view that we will feel uncomfortable cruising until we are (hopefully) vaccinated. Furthermore, although we can live with some elements of social distancing, the show stopper for me is face masks. I just don’t get on with them. My glasses steam up and I feel hot and bothered in them. I understand the reasons for them and wear them where legally required, but I can’t wait to get them off. I’m just not prepared to contemplate paying for a holiday (cruising or anything else) where masks are required. I would genuinely prefer to stay at home! I hope, for the sake of the industry, that cruising resumes soon in 2021 and I know that there are enough people who are prepared to cruise in spite of the proposed restrictions. 
 

Finally, a few minutes ago we witnessed the surreal sight of QM2 passing the Isle of Wight looking like a ghost ship. Very few lights on compared to a fully occupied cruise ship and my wife commented that it looked like like a container ship. Very sad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Purdey16 said:


graham I hope you get your operation soon before hospitals put a stop on operations again, and all goes well for you , I had two eye operations this year one before lock down and one during , I had narrowed angled glaucoma in both eyes .

Also I hope YOU never want to give up posting too , I always look at your advice to from the beginning I started cc along with Diab . 

Have open angled glaucoma and had an eye op 5 years ago. It was a huge success. Need laser treatement for the other eye but it isn't an emergency so am happy to leave well alone at the moment. Thoughts with anyone needing treatment at the moment as it is such a worry

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, well I am still here. I got out of the habit of posting as I did not think I had anything to say . I think I said in one of my last posts that I could not be bothered with all the speculation about when cruising would start again. As John said above we are still no nearer a solution.

I have had 4 cruises cancelled along with some land holidays. But I see that we are on the first cruise of Iona, well the first cruise they are still selling. So it could be the Maiden. Or not!!! Not holding my breath.

Like a few more in our position, fair pension, not cruising and no mortgage we are saving a fortune. I know how fortunate we are to be in that position as many are not.

Hope everyone is keeping well and not being affected by our present position

Gan Canny


Dai


Sent from my iPad using Forums

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

All,

 

Just to say that I am extremely grateful for the very kind words that so many of you posted after my message last night. They are very much appreciated. It was remiss of me in last nights post not to say that I was equally grateful for the countless positive messages, encouraging me to remain when I said that I was calling time a month or so ago.

 

Please don’t expect a flurry of posts from me though. I know that Social Media is very important to most people, but it’s not my thing. I’ve never used Facebook or Twitter or anything else for that matter. The P&O section of Cruise Critic was my sole venture into the online debating world, purely because we’ve been on all the P&O ships and could share some of our experiences. I know, from feedback received, that this has been appreciated, in the same way that we have appreciated the numerous tips we have received from others. 
 

To return to cruising, we aren’t booking anything yet. We remain of the view that we will feel uncomfortable cruising until we are (hopefully) vaccinated. Furthermore, although we can live with some elements of social distancing, the show stopper for me is face masks. I just don’t get on with them. My glasses steam up and I feel hot and bothered in them. I understand the reasons for them and wear them where legally required, but I can’t wait to get them off. I’m just not prepared to contemplate paying for a holiday (cruising or anything else) where masks are required. I would genuinely prefer to stay at home! I hope, for the sake of the industry, that cruising resumes soon in 2021 and I know that there are enough people who are prepared to cruise in spite of the proposed restrictions. 
 

Finally, a few minutes ago we witnessed the surreal sight of QM2 passing the Isle of Wight looking like a ghost ship. Very few lights on compared to a fully occupied cruise ship and my wife commented that it looked like like a container ship. Very sad. 

We are using some brilliant visors at work that loads of staff like - will try to find the link to them as they make you feel safe and sometimes I forget I am wearing one and try to drink or eat through it !

 

Lovely to hear you are well. Take care, stay safe and one day we can chat cruises again 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daiB said:

Hi all, well I am still here. I got out of the habit of posting as I did not think I had anything to say . I think I said in one of my last posts that I could not be bothered with all the speculation about when cruising would start again. As John said above we are still no nearer a solution.

I have had 4 cruises cancelled along with some land holidays. But I see that we are on the first cruise of Iona, well the first cruise they are still selling. So it could be the Maiden. Or not!!! Not holding my breath.

Like a few more in our position, fair pension, not cruising and no mortgage we are saving a fortune. I know how fortunate we are to be in that position as many are not.

Hope everyone is keeping well and not being affected by our present position

Gan Canny


Dai


Sent from my iPad using Forums

 

I would be lying if I said that your name popping up when I was replying to another CC member did not make me smile loads and give a little cheer. LOVELY to 'hear' from you Dai. Stay well and take care 🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

All,

 

Just to say that I am extremely grateful for the very kind words that so many of you posted after my message last night. They are very much appreciated. It was remiss of me in last nights post not to say that I was equally grateful for the countless positive messages, encouraging me to remain when I said that I was calling time a month or so ago.

 

Please don’t expect a flurry of posts from me though. I know that Social Media is very important to most people, but it’s not my thing. I’ve never used Facebook or Twitter or anything else for that matter. The P&O section of Cruise Critic was my sole venture into the online debating world, purely because we’ve been on all the P&O ships and could share some of our experiences. I know, from feedback received, that this has been appreciated, in the same way that we have appreciated the numerous tips we have received from others. 
 

To return to cruising, we aren’t booking anything yet. We remain of the view that we will feel uncomfortable cruising until we are (hopefully) vaccinated. Furthermore, although we can live with some elements of social distancing, the show stopper for me is face masks. I just don’t get on with them. My glasses steam up and I feel hot and bothered in them. I understand the reasons for them and wear them where legally required, but I can’t wait to get them off. I’m just not prepared to contemplate paying for a holiday (cruising or anything else) where masks are required. I would genuinely prefer to stay at home! I hope, for the sake of the industry, that cruising resumes soon in 2021 and I know that there are enough people who are prepared to cruise in spite of the proposed restrictions. 
 

Finally, a few minutes ago we witnessed the surreal sight of QM2 passing the Isle of Wight looking like a ghost ship. Very few lights on compared to a fully occupied cruise ship and my wife commented that it looked like like a container ship. Very sad. 

Great post Selbourne, I'm pleased you have decided to keep posting.

I never touch Facebook or Twitter either and my ventures are P&O and RCL posting on cc and putting reviews on Tripadvisor.

Both Pauline's and my glasses also get steamed up with the masks so I wear a full face plastic visor when I can.

We have loved every cruise we have been on and neither Pauline or I are looking forward to the new cruise experience so currently we have none booked and no plans to book any.

Take care.

Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, daiB said:

Hi all, well I am still here. I got out of the habit of posting as I did not think I had anything to say . I think I said in one of my last posts that I could not be bothered with all the speculation about when cruising would start again. As John said above we are still no nearer a solution.

I have had 4 cruises cancelled along with some land holidays. But I see that we are on the first cruise of Iona, well the first cruise they are still selling. So it could be the Maiden. Or not!!! Not holding my breath.

Like a few more in our position, fair pension, not cruising and no mortgage we are saving a fortune. I know how fortunate we are to be in that position as many are not.

Hope everyone is keeping well and not being affected by our present position

Gan Canny


Dai


Sent from my iPad using Forums


Hello diaB nice to see you back If only to say hello 👋 I always enjoy your post and advice from early days please keep in touch 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, daiB said:

Hi all, well I am still here. I got out of the habit of posting as I did not think I had anything to say . I think I said in one of my last posts that I could not be bothered with all the speculation about when cruising would start again. As John said above we are still no nearer a solution.

I have had 4 cruises cancelled along with some land holidays. But I see that we are on the first cruise of Iona, well the first cruise they are still selling. So it could be the Maiden. Or not!!! Not holding my breath.

Like a few more in our position, fair pension, not cruising and no mortgage we are saving a fortune. I know how fortunate we are to be in that position as many are not.

Hope everyone is keeping well and not being affected by our present position

Gan Canny


Dai


Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great to hear from you again Dai and pleased you are well.

Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, daiB said:

Hi all, well I am still here. I got out of the habit of posting as I did not think I had anything to say . I think I said in one of my last posts that I could not be bothered with all the speculation about when cruising would start again. As John said above we are still no nearer a solution.

I have had 4 cruises cancelled along with some land holidays. But I see that we are on the first cruise of Iona, well the first cruise they are still selling. So it could be the Maiden. Or not!!! Not holding my breath.

Like a few more in our position, fair pension, not cruising and no mortgage we are saving a fortune. I know how fortunate we are to be in that position as many are not.

Hope everyone is keeping well and not being affected by our present position

Gan Canny


Dai


Sent from my iPad using Forums


Having said that I wouldn’t post much, I had to join others in saying that I’m glad you are Ok Dai. I had wondered. Like you, we are saving a small fortune every month, but I can’t help but feel that I’d trade that for a normal life once again!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Selbourne , I don’t know if you already know this but it was a nurse that gave me the tip to stop your glasses from steaming up when wearing a mask because they wear them all day is to put your glasses over / on top of the mask not the mask below your glasses it works for me 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Selbourne said:


Having said that I wouldn’t post much, I had to join others in saying that I’m glad you are Ok Dai. I had wondered. Like you, we are saving a small fortune every month, but I can’t help but feel that I’d trade that for a normal life once again!

I agree on both points Selbourne, good to hear from Dai again, but wouldn't it be nice to be spending some of our money on a cruise again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Selbourne , I don’t know if you already know this but it was a nurse that gave me the tip to stop your glasses from steaming up when wearing a mask because they wear them all day is to put your glasses over / on top of the mask not the mask below your glasses it works for me 


Tried that but it doesn’t work for me. I am a freak of nature. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

No I have tried them always  and if its cold they steam up so I cannot see a thing.

☹️☹️☹️😷😷 I have also brought some visors with the glasses attached that you can wear with your own glasses a lot better but not like by some , I find the hospital style ones are more breathable than material ones 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry the last few posts made me laugh ---- Selbourne is back and we are now discussing masks and wearing glasses .... must think it is the Twilight Zone. Welcome to the new CC  🙂

 

Seriously, so pleased to have some 'old names' (no offense) back to visit us all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

☹️☹️☹️😷😷 I have also brought some visors with the glasses attached that you can wear with your own glasses a lot better but not like by some , I find the hospital style ones are more breathable than material ones 

They are the ones we use - brill. These are not the specific ones so this isn't an advert, just the kind

 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KEPLIN-Protective-Transparent-Adjustable-activities/dp/B08HH8Q1TD/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=visors+for+glasses&qid=1602703810&sr=8-10

 

 

Edited by Presto2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Selbourne , I don’t know if you already know this but it was a nurse that gave me the tip to stop your glasses from steaming up when wearing a mask because they wear them all day is to put your glasses over / on top of the mask not the mask below your glasses it works for me 

I've tried that too and it doesn't work! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Please don’t expect a flurry of posts from me though. I know that Social Media is very important to most people, but it’s not my thing. I’ve never used Facebook or Twitter or anything else for that matter. The P&O section of Cruise Critic was my sole venture into the online debating world, purely because we’ve been on all the P&O ships and could share some of our experiences. 

I'm with you on that one. February was the very first time I dipped my toe into the world of social media with this forum, at the tender age of 72. It was quite a wake-up call and definitely took some getting used to. 🙄

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic's State of the Industry Report - Trends & Future Outlook
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...