CDC Lifts No Sail Order

travelhound

It never ends.  Unless the cruise lines are able to quarantine people who test positive with covid during the cruise instead of cutting a cruise short, it seems like things won't get rolling until there is a vaccine.  Maybe then the cruise lines will vaccinate all of the crew and have people require proof of vaccination before cruising.

Passengers being quarantined in their cabins is why I would only book a balcony for the forseeable future. No doubt instances like this will happen again, especially when more ships start sailing. I am not claustrophobic, but I can’t imagine being confined to an interior cabin for even one day.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2020 at 12:52 PM, chengkp75 said:

My point is, that regardless of how many doses the manufacturer has ready, it is not going to be available in bulk overnight.

The Germans have made officially 50 million doses. These are packed 5 per vial and are in the freezers.

Half are reserved for Germany, and half to the USA. The 25 million doses for the USA will serve 12.5 million tuchuses. It is a two shot system. Since production has been continuing another 20 million doses are probably ready.

Once the FDA approves emergency use the US Army logistics command has equipment, personnel, and expendables ready to deliver all available to the point of use within 24 hours.  Points of use have already been identified in all 50 states, and have been surveyed to have the required storage facilities, and dry ice available for the few locations that do not. 

So the mission is to have vaccine available in bulk overnight. I believe the army will satisfy the mission. 

First in line are first responders and health care workers, followed by at risk old fogies.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Passengers being quarantined in their cabins is why I would only book a balcony for the forseeable future. No doubt instances like this will happen again, especially when more ships start sailing. I am not claustrophobic, but I can’t imagine being confined to an interior cabin for even one day.  

+1

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

Once the FDA approves emergency use the US Army logistics command has equipment, personnel, and expendables ready to deliver all available to the point of use within 24 hours.  Points of use have already been identified in all 50 states, and have been surveyed to have the required storage facilities, and dry ice available for the few locations that do not. 

60 Minutes had segment on the distribution plans. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/operation-warp-speed-covid-19-vaccine-delivery-fda-60-minutes-2020-11-08/

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 2:52 PM, chengkp75 said:

My point is, that regardless of how many doses the manufacturer has ready, it is not going to be available in bulk overnight.

Numbers from Pfizer are 50 million doses in 2020. They already have orders for over 10 times that amount.

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Several senators have already come out telling the CDC to issue another no sail order. Sort of surprised this has happened so quickly, but I don’t think the CDC will do anything differently until late January. But no doubt another no sail order is on the horizon. 

I think the cruise lines are in a worse situation with the NSO being replaced by the CSO, than if the CDC had extended the NSO through February as they originally wanted.  The cruise lines will need to spend a lot of money bringing back crew and conducting simulated voyages, only to likely have the NSO reinstated by the new administration just as revenue cruises are ready to start.  When this happens more money will need to be spent repatriating the crew.

Carnival might be wise to not be so quick to spend the money to jump through all of the hoops required by the CSO.  These senators may actually be be helping the cruise lines financially by pushing for a return to the NSO before a lot of money is spent complying with the CSO.

6 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Several senators have already come out telling the CDC to issue another no sail order. Sort of surprised this has happened so quickly, but I don’t think the CDC will do anything differently until late January. But no doubt another no sail order is on the horizon. 

I see Senator Blumenthal.  Who are the other Senators?

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It was a congresswoman Doris Matsui from Ca.  

Thanks for the clarification. I heard it on XMradio yesterday when I was driving. No doubt this is about politics like you said. Unfortunately politics has and will continue to play a significant role concerning when the cruise industry is allowed to resume operations from US ports. I am not making a political comment, just stating the obvious that the CDC holds all the cards. 

Just now, PhillyFan33579 said:

Thanks for the clarification. I heard it on XMradio yesterday when I was driving. No doubt this is about politics like you said. Unfortunately politics has and will continue to play a significant role concerning when the cruise industry is allowed to resume operations from US ports. I am not making a political comment, just stating the obvious that the CDC holds all the cards. 

It is a real threat, and something we all should be concerned with.  Mark my words, if implemented and extends beyond February, drastic measures will result, including the bankruptcy of at least one line.  

*********       I have carefully read this for past two days and while it is technically political I will leave for now. Most of the comments do not refer to specific political stances but rather how the government and CDC will be interacting in the future to hopefully start cruising up again. If however it descends into a political debate of personalities or COvid deaths and statistics I will I will intervene. Using the word  "senator" or simply using a senators name in context of a sentence discussing a bill or the order is ok if you aren't debating, denigrating etc... Thank you..what

11 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

*********       I have carefully read this for past two days and while it is technically political I will leave for now. Most of the comments do not refer to specific political stances but rather how the government and CDC will be interacting in the future to hopefully start cruising up again. If however it descends into a political debate of personalities or COvid deaths and statistics I will I will intervene. Using the word  "senator" or simply using a senators name in context of a sentence discussing a bill or the order is ok if you aren't debating, denigrating etc... Thank you..what

The intent was to bring it forward, and not to denigrate into politics, there is more that enough of that.  Regardless, appreciate the hands off, this potential change requested may very will change cruising as we know it.

14 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

In a press release released yesterday, November 13, 2020, the two democratic representatives ask Dr. Redfield, the CDC director, to stop all efforts to resume cruising from U.S. ports. 

Broberts

Nothing is out of the realm of possibility .  My state ( yes your neighbor to the south) is looking very hard at bars, restaurants, gyms being shut down again. We will know in a week. After 3 straight days of record numbers the Governor is NOT happy.

It's uncertain where the new administration goes and time will tell. I don't think it will be long after Jan. 20,2021 to see some big changes.

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is a real threat, and something we all should be concerned with.  Mark my words, if implemented and extends beyond February, drastic measures will result, including the bankruptcy of at least one line.  

NCL won't be missed.

mark_my_words_by_weejee_d4xthmm-fullview

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

So which threat poses the greater harm?  Continued exponential spread of the virus or cruise lines going bankrupt?

• Like 4

On 11/11/2020 at 8:36 PM, Moviela said:

The Germans have made officially 50 million doses. These are packed 5 per vial and are in the freezers.

Half are reserved for Germany, and half to the USA. The 25 million doses for the USA will serve 12.5 million tuchuses. It is a two shot system. Since production has been continuing another 20 million doses are probably ready.

So the mission is to have vaccine available in bulk overnight. I believe the army will satisfy the mission. 

First in line are first responders and health care workers, followed by at risk old fogies.

This is a game changer.  When the vaccine starts distribution, the fear will start to flatten and we can all stop with the hyperbole.  Hopefully all of us will then be able to enjoy a Corona Beer on our next cruise 🙂

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

So which threat poses the greater harm?  Continued exponential spread of the virus or cruise lines going bankrupt?

Easy one, positions getting involved in things thy do not have a clue about is ALWAYS the worst scenario.  Their is a plan laid out that all parties agree to march to.  To alter and change this for politics would be a disgrace.  Let the solution stand, they will cruise when it is safe, shut it down doom the industry.  

• Like 1