Continued suspension

SeaWatch12

Celebrity just posted this statement on Twitter:  “As the world continues to confront the challenges from COVID-19, our goal continues to be a healthy return to service for our guests, crew and the communities we visit. We will be extending the suspension of global operations for all sailings departing on or before Dec. 31, 2020.”

Edited by SeaWatch12
  • Thanks 1

They have to complete training of the crew and complete the test sailings without revenue paying passengers before getting the ok to take paying passenger.

Getting crew here, trained and making any already not completed retrofits to the 1 or 2 ships that will be the first to start will take some time.

Then the test cruises can be done, so not something that can be accomplished in a few weeks.   

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'm keeping a positive thought that my July 2021 sails.

BUT how many days is your sailing?
They are talking that initially sailings will only be for 7 days or less.

I know many passengers who ‘Lifted & Shifted’ our cancelled 1st August 2020 cruise to 31st July 2021, but that is 14 day sailing.

7 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'm keeping a positive thought that my July 2021 sails.

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I know many passengers who ‘Lifted & Shifted’ our cancelled 1st August 2020 cruise to 31st July 2021, but that is 14 day sailing.

@Ashland If yours is sailing, that will be a good sign for us too (September).

BUT, as Jackie ( @upwarduk ) rightly says, how many days??? Our Apex in September is (an amazing itinerary) of 12 days....

I surely wouldn't want to sail in January either.  We have a mid-march Equinox cruise- and will probably also cancel.  Until we all have a successful vaccination, both in the USA and the ports, not going to sail.  We love sailing, and as we age who knows how many more years of healthy sailing we have left- but it would be irresponsible to sail in this environment now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Remember that the CDC did not want to lift the No Sail order until end of February but were over-ruled.  But it looks like they de facto cancelled most if not all cruising by their requirements to go forward.  Perhaps a couple of non-revenue practice cruises on select ships (EDGE, APEX) might go out in Jan-Feb time frame but not many.  I am guessing no scheduled regular revenue cruises until April?  Perhaps this will coincide well with the availability of a vaccine?

• Like 1

Sad news for some last lingering hopefuls, but this is completely predictable. It's not the time.

Between massive debt, decreased demand, new restrictions, the list goes on, anyone who believes 'their cruise' on xx/xxxx date will go on as planned and be the experience they are accustomed, are unfortunately going to be in for a rude awakening. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Sad news for some last lingering hopefuls, but this is completely predictable. It's not the time.

Between massive debt, decreased demand, new restrictions, the list goes on, anyone who believes 'their cruise' on xx/xxxx date will go on as planned and be the experience they are accustomed, are unfortunately going to be in for a rude awakening. 

So true---- but I think that most CC regulars here have accepted this as the sad reality.  But we are all accustomed to a lot of things that have changed our previous lives and ways since March.  Cruising is just one thing on a long list.  Some have it higher than others on their list.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I surely wouldn't want to sail in January either.  We have a mid-march Equinox cruise- and will probably also cancel.  Until we all have a successful vaccination, both in the USA and the ports, not going to sail.  We love sailing, and as we age who knows how many more years of healthy sailing we have left- but it would be irresponsible to sail in this environment now.

We have a 12 nighter on the Apex for mid May and will almost certainly cancel, don’t believe we’ll be happy cruising by then. Recent threads about the 2022 European season give me some hope, but can’t see how Celebrity can realistically announce new sailings when 2021 is wide open...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

...Perhaps a couple of non-revenue practice cruises on select ships (EDGE, APEX) might go out in Jan-Feb time frame...

I'm curious why you think Jan-Feb? My thought was the non-rev cruises would take place by the end of the year. Perhaps I missed something.

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I'm curious why you think Jan-Feb? My thought was the non-rev cruises would take place by the end of the year. Perhaps I missed something.

All Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines now suspended through Dec 31.  Announced yesterday.  See the first post.

3 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

All Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines now suspended through Dec 31.  Announced yesterday.  See the first post.

I guess I just assumed that release was referring to suspending all scheduled sailings and they would use that time to run the short non-rev sailings.

• Like 1

I also have a mid-March Equinox booked.  I'm hoping Celebrity will just cancel the Equinox sailings before final payment since these are longer than 7 days cruises which goes against the new CDC guidelines for start up.  I just don't see more than perhaps the Edge and Apex with passengers by Mid-March, if that. Or is Celebrity planning on modifying these itineraries to fit the new no more than 7 day model?

I'm hoping by late Spring, Celebrity will have a ship in NJ - at least then, I can drive to Cape Liberty, if I choose to cruise at that point. But we do have to get through the winter first. And, I am thankful for all the cruises I have been on, and so glad I didn't wait till I retired to cruise!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I guess I just assumed that release was referring to suspending all scheduled sailings and they would use that time to run the short non-rev sailings.

I am taking it at face value when the say all sailings.

"We will be extending the suspension of global operations for all sailings departing on or before Dec. 31, 2020.”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ecslady said:

I also have a mid-March Equinox booked.  I'm hoping Celebrity will just cancel the Equinox sailings before final payment since these are longer than 7 days cruises which goes against the new CDC guidelines for start up.  I just don't see more than perhaps the Edge and Apex with passengers by Mid-March, if that. Or is Celebrity planning on modifying these itineraries to fit the new no more than 7 day model?

I'm hoping by late Spring, Celebrity will have a ship in NJ - at least then, I can drive to Cape Liberty, if I choose to cruise at that point. But we do have to get through the winter first. And, I am thankful for all the cruises I have been on, and so glad I didn't wait till I retired to cruise!

We have a Royal cruise booked end of may from NJ.  That probably is also iffy

9 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Mine is a 12 night British Isles out of Amsterdam leaving July 30, 2021.

My final payment is due in May so...until then I will keep a positive thought.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I don't consider it ever having a hopeful attitude with anything in life..."sad"

• Like 1

We have a Royal cruise booked end of may from NJ.  That probably is also iffy

And I have a Royal one booked at the beginning of June from NJ too.  On the Empress which really makes it iffy.