My TA Said Don’t Book Anything Before 7/1/2021

Kokomo91165

I was kind of shocked when my TA, from a pretty large agency, almost refused my final payment today for a cruise in January. He strongly encouraged that I move and/or cancel everything over 3/4 nights until 7/1/2021. 

He also said it has been communicated that no spring or fall repositioning cruises would be offered.

I hung up kind of surprised and at a loss of what to do next. Has anyone had this type of communication from RCL / X as to what to expect?

Edited by Kokomo91165

If you're a member of this forum and are being PRAGMATIC about cruising during a pandemic then your TA's advice should be of no surprise. It's the people that are planning their cruises as if nothing has changed that have their head buried in the sand.

What should you do next? EXACTLY what your TA advised. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

The only reason many people Have been making final payments is so they can collect the 125% FCCs.  Obviously the current cruise schedules winter and spring are likely to have massive changes/cancellations.  

If a vaccine is widely available on April 1st then May and June could return to something closer to normal for cruises 7 days or less.  Health authorities in many countries are likely to require proof of immunization for COVID along with any other vaccinations currently needed for visiting.  The CDC and WHO both have cards.

5 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The only reason many people Have been making final payments is so they can collect the 125% FCCs.  Obviously the current cruise schedules winter and spring are likely to have massive changes/cancellations.  

If a vaccine is widely available on April 1st then May and June could return to something closer to normal for cruises 7 days or less.  Health authorities in many countries are likely to require proof of immunization for COVID along with any other vaccinations currently needed for visiting.  The CDC and WHO both have cards.

As I remarked in another thread I think your timeline of cruises going back to normal is a bit early. Remember the current vaccine is a two dose regimen 21 days apart, so basically a 3 month span before you're all set. Realistically I don't see life in general returning to pre-covid normal until January 2022. What I mean by that is no longer the need for masks, social distancing, plexiglass between things, etc. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

During today's webinar it was mentioned that L&S is ending next week. Also that deployment changes will begin to be announced starting next week and will be intermittently released over the next 3 weeks. 

here we go with another round of nail biting!  THX for the update

7 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

During today's webinar it was mentioned that L&S is ending next week. Also that deployment changes will begin to be announced starting next week and will be intermittently released over the next 3 weeks. 

So even though L&S is currently scheduled through the end of the month they are privately telling TA's they will end it early?

3 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

So even though L&S is currently scheduled through the end of the month they are privately telling TA's they will end it early?

I may have misunderstood the end date. What was indicated is that it's ending so TA's should encourage their clients to L&S now if they plan to do so. 

• Like 2

I completely agree with your TA. I wouldn't plan on your January cruise actually happening and would only make final payment if you were trying to get a refund. Keep in mind that it's November and the CDC just released a long list of requirements that cruise lines will have to meet before they can sail.  Most have already cancelled out through the end of the year at this point. And the cruise lines along with having to meet all the CDC's requirements have to run test cruises before they can restart. IF any real cruises run in Jan they will be very slow to restart with just a few ships in a few ports, and probably shorter cruises. Yes, nothing over 7 days will be running in the spring at least, that's one of the CDC's stipulations. I've seen a handful of people report spring TAs that they had booked being pulled from the website already.

5 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

At the earliest it sounds like a vaccine would be widely available by June. But even when that happens and everyone is eligible to get the vaccine (after months of dosing out to essential workers and people in high risk categories) that does not mean you will be able to get one right away. We have an entire planet that needs to be vaccinated. For the U.S. specifically with its 320 million+ citizens expectations are that it will take at least through the end of 2021 and likely into 2022 to get everyone access to an initial vaccination. So you may find yourself on a waiting list for weeks or months even once it is widely available.

Edited by WonderMan3
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

At the earliest it sounds like a vaccine would be widely available by June. But even when that happens and everyone is eligible to get the vaccine (after months of dosing out to essential workers and people in high risk categories) that does not mean you will be able to get one right away. We have an entire planet that needs to be vaccinated. For the U.S. specifically with its 320 million+ citizens expectations are that it will take at least through the end of 2021 and likely into 2022 to get everyone access to an initial vaccination. So you may find yourself on a waiting list for weeks or months even once it is widely available.

I think you have very different information.  Pfizer has discussed having 50 million doses by year end for its US production facility and gear up from there.  They have other plants worldwide.  Am aware of a tiny startup pharma in Colorado that is ready to go with J&J using its factory for 20 million a month.  

Astra Zenica said they could produce 1 BILLION doses in 2021 and contracted for another billion to be produced in India for 3rd World countries.

Remember there are over 30 vaccines in the pipeline.  Once we get another couple vaccines shown effective and safe -  licensing will happen.

The problem will not be with supply of vaccine or syringes but probably those who refuse vaccination.  Many governments likely will require a CDC/WHO card for Internatioal Travel.  Schools and employers could do the same as was done with measles.  Governments will be supportive of mandates for vaccination.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cruisr said:

My TA had a group on the Summit from San Juan to Bayonne in May and now its not on the schedule and she was told that its probably not going but she has not received an official notice.

for what dates???

I would not book anything before the second half of 2021 anyway. My next booking is in September and that is a 7 night crossing out of NY.

I only plan short term- and preferably out of Germany. My " In the midst of a Pendemic Cruises" both where only booked 4 to 6 weeks ahead.

Many would not like it- but i loved those 4 and 7 night cruises to nowhere. Wonderful to enjoy both ships sailing at only 30 to 40% capacity.

• Like 3

Glad that at least one TA is not seeking & accepting reservations for cruises that will NOT happen. I am not planning on booking anything new until 2022 at the earliest.  I still have 3 cruises from 2020 to reschedule to late 2021 or 2022.  Off to the mail box and pick up flyers for 2021 cruises that will not happen.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Kokomo91165 said:

I was kind of shocked when my TA, from a pretty large agency, almost refused my final payment today for a cruise in January. He strongly encouraged that I move and/or cancel everything over 3/4 nights until 7/1/2021. 

He also said it has been communicated that no spring or fall repositioning cruises would be offered.

I hung up kind of surprised and at a loss of what to do next. Has anyone had this type of communication from RCL / X as to what to expect?

If I understand the TA commission system, this is surprising.  I thought the TA's got their commission if you were paid in full and Celebrity cancelled the cruise.  It sounds like the TA didn't want his commission.

I am afraid that if the cruise industry doesn't return to cruising next year, there may be few of them around to begin cruising in 2022. They huge bleeding of the costs to keep cruise ships docked can't go on forever before they run into insolvency.

• Like 2

We cancelled our June '21 Italy cruise anticipating it was probably not a go.  After reading some of these comments, now I'm getting a little nervous re our Nov. '21 cruise....thought we were well into the 'safety zone', now not so sure.  Thinking positive thoughts that the vaccine will be approved, offered, and distributed as quickly as it was developed.  Thanks to ALL of the TAs sharing their web info with us.  Now I'd like to hear from X .... which will probably be after they finish their web seminars with TAs.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We cancelled our June '21 Italy cruise anticipating it was probably not a go.  After reading some of these comments, now I'm getting a little nervous re our Nov. '21 cruise....thought we were well into the 'safety zone', now not so sure.  Thinking positive thoughts that the vaccine will be approved, offered, and distributed as quickly as it was developed.  Thanks to ALL of the TAs sharing their web info with us.  Now I'd like to hear from X .... which will probably be after they finish their web seminars with TAs.

I'm still holding out hope 😲 for my TA on May 1...unlikely, though I have time to take back my refundable deposit.  

20 hours ago, Kokomo91165 said:

Cannot disagree with your TA.     Vaccine in late Q2 or Q3.  Travel MAYBE in late Q3 or Q4 at the earliest.  No plans to book any travel until two weeks or so prior to our planned departure date.  Certainly no interest whatsoever in jumping on a cruise ship until Dec 2021 at the earliest.

• Like 1