The Daily for Wednesday Nov 11, 2020

richwmn

today is Veterans Day

Psychotherapy is the theory that the patient will probably get well anyhow and is certainly a damn fool.

-- H. L. Mencken

Meal suggestion for today - Chicken Tenders with Potatoes and Peas

Drink of the Day - Old-Fashioned

Wine of the day - Brick House Pinot Noir Ribbon Ridge Les Dijonnais vintage 2016

at sea Caribbean
Oosterdam destination Kralendijk, Bonaire

Caracas Bay
Eurodam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam listed as destination Southampton, but hasn't moved on map
Volendam
Westerdam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam

1111Europe.png

1111Caribbean.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I know it's Veterans day in the US; think it goes under various names around the world.  Love the quote and the meal suggestion, my alternative is Chilled Cherry Sour Soup, Oven Roasted Chicken, and Apple Pie Sundae, as served on the Prinsendam Veterans Day, 2017.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/dishes11.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Florida and Eta

Patience and healing for the USA

The US Naval Academy, fighting a Veterans Day Covid spike

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily, Cruisepucks

Front Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall colors

Hope for a vaccine

Welcome back Copper10-8

Roy                                

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

It is Remembrance Day here in Canada

2FA70919-FDE9-4756-8035-1F460B2C864A.jpeg.54464d2ae6809b5b9c1a9eb50d0c2716.jpeg

Love the quote and the meal suggestion sounds great.

Haven’t had an old fashioned in years.  I’d love to have one on a ship.

A well known memorial from Canadian, Lt-Col John McCrae

55AF05DE-A8C6-4DA0-A41D-68459FC46E17.thumb.jpeg.2c8b5208f5895728ce4ff1b50a3f0120.jpeg

We are very grateful to all who serve and have served.

9C3C95AA-0A32-4AA2-98E4-CECA2F5B8556.thumb.jpeg.a456323eac3d63ae3b99c22cc95fce6b.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for any who need them and a toast to all of those on the Celebratory/Shut Out list as well as all veterans and those serving.

• Like 19

Thank you for today’s Daily & your service, Rich! I suspect there are many veterans from many countries, who are members of CC. I thank them all for their service!

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! I suspect ETA is hanging around as long as possible because we do not get to this letter very often. And @Hflors& @summer slopeare you back in the danger zone?  If the current predicted track stays true, I will get something. But it will be weakened by its 4TH landfall, and crossing the state before getting to me. My biggest danger is it will hit during a period of abnormally high tides. We already have several road closures. I suspect it will just be a nuisance here.

That is quite a quote! Having scallops & zoodles tonight. I am not sure I have ever had an Old Fashioned, so I will add it to my list of drinks to try on my next cruise!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers for all who are celebrating!
Stay well everyone!

Count every vote!

Pinot Noir fans - take note. All released vintages of this Willamette, Oregon wine have excellent ratings. I found one online vendor for the 2016 vintage at $50.99, but many for the  later vintages with very decent prices.

#47 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

The brick house looks out over eight acres of Dijon clone vines planted on a full south slope. Since 1998, they have supplied superior fruit that continues to win critical acclaim. The “Les Dijonnais” Pinot Noir represents the best barrels from this warm site. In contrast with the Pommard clone bottlings, the “Les Dijonnais” Pinot Noir offers a more floral interpretation of the grape, often displaying hints of rose petal and meadow flowers.

WS94

Wine Spectator: Sleek and harmonious, with effortlessly complex violet, raspberry and river stone accents that take on richness toward a lingering finish. Drink now through 2025.

A4A84D2D-E3EE-4393-A571-B4D839DCD499.jpeg

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 14

Good morning Rich. Thank you for the Daily.

Thank you to all our veterans who have served our country and to our northern neighbors on Remembrance Day.

Good morning Daily-ites, sisters Ann and Denise, Roy, summer...

The past few days have been so beautiful in Georgetown and the next week looks to be 70's and 80. Sorry to those suffering blizzards, snow, ice and remnants from Eta. 

It was good to see John's post last night, @Copper10-8 is back on board.

I don't know what is for dinner, as we are going to meet friends at their home and going for a late lunch. I doubt it will be chicken fingers or roast chicken though.

Thank you Roy for the prayers and cheers and recalling what needs to be added.

Sending love and blessings to our friends on our Daily. Pray for our nation.

Veterans - Dog Humor

• Like 16

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  As mentioned previously, today is Remembrance Day in Canada - when we pause to think of  and thank the brave people who have done so much to provide the freedoms we enjoy today.  Along with my poppy, I'll be wearing red to honour all of them.

The theme for today's menu is chicken, so I'll check the freezer to see what we've got.  I always have chicken breasts, so I might make strips, breaded with panko crumbs and cooked in the air fryer oven tonight.  Mashed potatoes and peas and a salad will round out the dinner plate.  And wine.

@cat shepardI've never tasted a river stone before . . . I'm not sure I'd recognize the flavour.  LOL

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the wine glasses tonight for all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Along with my poppy, I'll be wearing red to honour all of them.

We’ll be doing the same, Gerry.  Due to the current covid situation our regular indoor ceremony cannot be held so, as suggested, we will be stepping out to our front driveway at 11 AM for our minutes of silence & remembrance.

• Like 10

Good morning and thanks for the update.

I remember being in the UK several times on Remembrance Day and the appropriate ceremonies that were observed.   I was also onboard Oosterdam and there was a service onboard that was well attended.

Raining and still warm here but supposed to get cooler tonight .

I received an email from HAL last night about a change in itinerary for the Rotterdam premier. 
        Dubrovnik is out for operational reasons and had been changed to Zadir.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

We’ll be doing the same, Gerry.  Due to the current covid situation our regular indoor ceremony cannot be held so, as suggested, we will be stepping out to our front driveway at 11 AM for our minutes of silence & remembrance.

My street is doing this too!  On my street of 25 houses, we have 9 veterans. 

My only red top is a Red Sox tshirt, so I have to turn it inside out.  One time that social distancing actually pays off for me.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I am wearing a red Singapore T-shirt today so hope that counts!

Much gratitude to all our veterans and current military personnel who serve our country.  I especially remember the service of my family members in the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines (however no Coast Guard that I know of).  God bless all of them!

• Like 10

Thank you to all who are honoring our veterans today. I am remembering my father pictured (seated top left) at RAF Buttonwood (Warrington, England) where he was stationed during WWII with the US Army Air Force at Base Air Depot 1. This is the only informal picture we have of dad's time there. The soldier who served with my father thankfully identified those depicted leading me to its discovery online. Unfortunately, that gentleman had passed by the time I found it. So, I was never able to thank him personally.

In remembrance of our veterans with respect, honor, and gratitude.

Screenshot_20200901-214836.png

• Like 14

image.thumb.jpeg.2336dabbbda972646c8bbd2d44e624ce.jpeg

🇺🇸🇺🇸

IN HONOR OF MY FATHER, MY WONDERFUL HUSBAND , TO RICH AND ALL OUR VETERANS HERE IN THE US AND AROUND THE WORLD,

”This is your day for us to remember!

God Bless you all for your courage and strength! Especially the bravery!

Thank you! Also to all here on CC who were in the Armed Forces!

🌺🌺 

Have a wonderful day to all!

❤️ To my sisters as always

To Rich and Roy Thank you!

To summer I remember my mom enjoyed old fashions! Never had one!

🌺 PS My sister Joy I was a good WILD SISTER BACK THEN!! If you were my sister and Ann , I would always have your back and come to both of you!! LOL

Denise🙄

• Like 16

@DeeniEncinitas

🌺 PS My sister Joy I was a good WILD SISTER BACK THEN!! If you were my sister and Ann , I would always have your back and come to both of you!! LOL

Denise, I believe you! But always know I have your back too.

Thank you to your sweet husband David for his service.

Allen asked me not to post a service picture of him, but I am proud of his 20 years of service.

• Like 8

Good morning.  Late today.  Love Veterans Day.  So proud of those who are serving and those that served.  My father was a WWII Submarine swabbie.  Menu sounds good for tonight.

We are south of where the Eta is due to come ashore again, but the winds are really nasty.  It rained very heavy last night.

Old Fashioned:

Main alcohol: Whisky

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Bourbon or Rye whiskey, 1 Sugar cube, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, Few dashes plain water
Preparation: Place sugar cube in old fashioned glass and saturate with bitters, add a dash of plain water. Muddle until dissolved. Fill the glass with ice cubes and add whiskey. Garnish with orange slice, and a cocktail cherry.

Prayers and congratulations to our lists.  Major prayers to get covid under control.
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.
  • Like 11

Good morning.  I am humbled by the patriotism and memories of this group for all the veterans among us and before us.  My father was a Marine in Korea, and I had uncles who all served.  I have many friends who are Vietnam Veterans, and I have a special nephew, Mark, who was a Marine in Afghanistan several years ago and is still struggling to live a normal life and definitely deserves to be celebrated today.

Prayers all around and thanks to all the dear people here for my daily sanity.

• Like 9