Possible restoration of Cuba cruises

oceanbill457

While travel to Cuba may be attractive, the Covid situation is paramount for us. When international travel resumes after the new vaccines are introduced, I still will have to weigh all factors .... some unknown. For example, can we believe the covid statistics form all countries. 

Back to Cuba.......

We were on an Azamara TA a couple of years ago with a two night stop in Havana. As we sailed the Atlantic our plans were thwarted by an unnecessary side trip to Key West. We literally did not get notification until we left Bermuda.

We, as US citizens, can make a difference in the most positive way. We met Canadians during our shortened stop and their relationship with the people of Cuba is what we should strive for.

Historically our relationships with Central and South American countries have wavered but we can only hope that politics and relationships make it possible for us to return to Venezuela too. I haven't forgotten the past when venturing into Columbia wasn't as safe as it is now.

Things change.....we just hope for the better.

• Like 4

I didn't mean for this to turn in to a political discussion about how we got here. I would like to  explore the sights and sound of another culture. We allow cruises to Russia, China and Vietnam. I have spent hundreds of days at sea on 10 US Navy vessels in my career. Many ports and sites. I would like to visit  more without apologies.

• Like 5

I had a Cuban cruise cancelled due to Trump's changes to Obama's policies.  Since we have decided to stay closer to the US when we resume cruising, Cuba is an ideal destination for us.  Sign me up!

Being Canadian and have been to Cuba a few times, I don't see the allure. I get the fact that it's forbidden and everyone just wants to see the untouched island. Canadians go to the all inclusive resorts as a cheap getaway. There are pros like the people, beaches and the lack of capital America. The cons are definitely the food the poverty. I support them opening back up but I fear what corporations are going to turn it in to. 

• Like 2

I have heard your concerns about unregulated US travelers changing Cuba from many others. I can certainly see large resorts developing destinations and expect to see Carnival Corporation building their own port.  I'm sure the plans are all ready to go.   Part of the allure for me is certainly the thrill of doing something that once was forbidden.  I certainly am curious to sample the culture and to learn more about the people of Cuba.  Now that large cruise ships are banned from Key West, it makes perfect sence for the cruise lines to switch those sailings to Cuba.

• Like 1

I would be delighted if my December 1 2021 Marina cruise substituted three ports in Cuba rather than calling at Key West, Cozumel, and Costa Maya.

We were lucky enough to visit three Cuban ports on Azamara in December 2018 and came away understanding some of the country's complicated history. Private guides were happy to have cash-paying clients. Taxis were happy to have generous and happy passengers. The poverty was undeniable. The dual currency economy shocked us. The condition of once-beautiful buildings was sad. But we were glad we went.

• Like 6

A couple friends of mine visited Cuba about 15 years ago. They flew to Cancun and took a cheap hop over to Havana. Spent a week, stayed in the hotels, ate the food, meet the locals, took the old steam engine train on a great scenic journey, and came home.

That option is still available to all interested in visiting Cuba. I wouldn’t doubt that one couldn’t get a cheap ticket on Air Canada through Toronto. 

2 hours ago, frankdp said:

I choose to not line Raul’s pockets.

I wouldn't worry too much about Raul - he'll be OK whether you visit Cuba or not.

What about those people that depend on tourism - taxi drivers, guides, souvenir shops, restaurants - they will feel the difference whether tourists do come or not.

You are not going to put Raul out of business but you might the little guy.

Ditto for Russia. Good luck hurting Putin financially but the people on the street that depend on tourist $$$ will feel the difference.

In the end - what have you really accomplished?

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, pinotlover said:

One of Oceania’s own went back to Cuba and bought? and is running a B&B last I heard. Any one else remember Tony Perez?? He was the CD on a couple of our cruises. Funny guy and entertaining, but some passengers had no humor and he was gone.

You  have to have serious questions on why someone with the freedoms we enjoy in the western world would want to flee to  a communist oppressive dictatorship........unless...maybe there was more to old Tony than he let on......There have been a few like that.... that left when their cover was endanger of being blown..............Very interesting to ponder

2 hours ago, oceanbill457 said:

Everything is a conspiracy these days in some minds.

No conspiracy...... just asking the question WHY  would you go from a place everyone in Cuba is trying go to..... from a place they all fear. and too, knowing the reality of what you were getting into.......  It makes no sense ..... would you?       Very strange you must admit. 

7 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

why someone with the freedoms we enjoy in the western world would want to flee to  a communist oppressive dictatorship.

Could pose the same question to a bunch of Black engineers and cotton agro-technicians who decided to go from the "free" Alabama to the "communist" USSR back in the late thirties. Or to Snowden. 

Edited by napoxoguk

On 12/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, pinotlover said:

One of Oceania’s own went back to Cuba and bought? and is running a B&B last I heard. Any one else remember Tony Perez?? He was the CD on a couple of our cruises. Funny guy and entertaining, but some passengers had no humor and he was gone.

That name doesn't sound right, although I cruised with him quite a bit. It's a "glorious day". He was actually one of my favorite Oceania CDs. 

Edited by ORV

Yes Roy  was the guy

I think he went home  to help his family run the business after he was let go from Oceania

The story was  some  "entitled " pax  made a complaint  against him ..not sure if true or not