Canadian Cruisers

Just curious how many fellow CAD's around here are really nervous about this:
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/trudeau-indicates-canada-u-s-border-restrictions-to-last-a-long-time

Article mentions border closings probably well into 2021. Looks like our plans to possibly book a late spring/early summer trip just went out the window. I wouldn't even chance it now ..... now I'm thinking our end of November may be a 50/50

I suppose @Ourusualbeach would have insight into what the "North of the border" bookings are doing - holding off completely, or booking with hope?

8 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/trudeau-indicates-canada-u-s-border-restrictions-to-last-a-long-time

Article mentions border closings probably well into 2021. Looks like our plans to possibly book a late spring/early summer trip just went out the window. I wouldn't even chance it now ..... now I'm thinking our end of November may be a 50/50

I suppose @Ourusualbeach would have insight into what the "North of the border" bookings are doing - holding off completely, or booking with hope?

Nothing to back this up but I think our border will be closed until September.  That is the date that Canada projects to have the vaccine fully rolled out.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Nothing to back this up but I think our border will be closed until September.  That is the date that Canada projects to have the vaccine fully rolled out.  

If true there goes my DH's birthday cruise Oct 14, 2021 Canada N/E on Freedom.

But gee.. I'm getting emails everyday to purchase cruise planner items.

Edited by Ashland

That means we will not see many of our snow birds here. The CAD’s seem to like this area (Daytona Beach/Ormond Beach/Palm Coast/New Smyrna/Port Orange/Holly Hill). 

M8

• Like 2

That would be great news, as the last I heard was the end of 2021.  Only time will tell.  

Unfortunately I’m thinking the end of next year is more likely.  Provinces are asking for roll out plans from the Feds and the vaccine is supposedly arriving in January.   I really hope I am wrong in my speculation.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That means we will not see many of our snow birds here. The CAD’s seem to like this area (Daytona Beach/Ormond Beach/Palm Coast/New Smyrna/Port Orange/Holly Hill). 

M8

I know many snowbirds that are already there.  It is only the land border that is closed.  Snowbirds can fly down with no problem.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I know many snowbirds that are already there.  It is only the land border that is closed.  Snowbirds can fly down with no problem.

Yeah, the 5 or 6 month snowbirds are fairly easy to continue their regular routine. They can do the 14 day quarantine or whatever else is involved.

It's the 1 or 2 week vacation agenda's (flight or drive) that suddenly get really difficult to work around.

Quarantine once you're there, quarantine when you come back..... book a 6 week timeframe to travel for a week... lol 

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I saw that projection, which is hopeful, but it's the "until it's under control around the world" part that has me....... skeptical....... 

7 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

It's the 1 or 2 week vacation agenda's (flight or drive) that suddenly get really difficult to work around.

Quarantine once you're there, quarantine when you come back..... book a 6 week timeframe to travel for a week... lol 

Also, some sunny US destinations don't have a quarantine requirement.  I think FL, TX and AZ.  CA's is only "recommended" and I think if you fly in to SFO and then drive north to Yountville and have dinner at "The French Laundry" you are exempt from all CV rules.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I'm not concerned at all. We have many years left to cruise (or whatever kind of vacation we choose to take) so best to open things back up when it's safe to do so......no matter how long it takes. 

Us Canadians definitely have an additional bottleneck with the border.

I have the opposite thinking in terms of "family cruises".  This is our favorite way to vacation.  Our kids are currently in grade 10 and 6 and so not many years left where we travel together.  It's actually why we started travelling more in recent years as I realized how quick they are growing up. But of course, as you say, will only travel when it's safe to do so and this virus is more under control.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Our RV parks are completely full already with Canadian snow birds who cannot drive to Florida this year. 

As sad as we are that we cannot cross the border, we are glad that it is closed. We think it's the right move at this time, given the ferocious spread of this virus. We miss our cross-border shopping and eating, but will get back there eventually. 😊

Edited by Langley Cruisers
  • Like 2

Driving across the board still remains an issue but flying seems to be ok.  We recently flew through between Mexico and Canada via the US with no issues.  In fact we have done this 5 or 6 times this year.  Not for vacation but we live and I work here in Mexico.  

But reading the article I am more concerned with the $381B debit.  And it doesn't matter which political flavour we get, we will either have tax increases, service reductions or both.

• Like 1

Oh and I forgot to mention, I read somewhere a company in Quebec would fly people on a small charter plane across the border and transport their RV's to the airport.  An ingenious idea to get around the border closing.  And I don't think it was too much.  Something like $1000 or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Us Canadians definitely have an additional bottleneck with the border.

I have the opposite thinking in terms of "family cruises".  This is our favorite way to vacation.  Our kids are currently in grade 10 and 6 and so not many years left where we travel together.  It's actually why we started travelling more in recent years as I realized how quick they are growing up. But of course, as you say, will only travel when it's safe to do so and this virus is more under control.

Yes, you are right about the time flying.

Our son is in college so we will do a land trip to Alaska sometime this summer since our cruise is a no-go.  He will be busy doing internships in 2022 & 2023.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Also, some sunny US destinations don't have a quarantine requirement.  I think FL, TX and AZ.  CA's is only "recommended" and I think if you fly in to SFO and then drive north to Yountville and have dinner at "The French Laundry" you are exempt from all CV rules.

Idk that tx or fl have a quarantine suggestion. If so news to me. My cousin just bought a condo in venice FL on some golf course and driving back and forth settling in for the winter. 

Though after friday we are due for more shut down, like restaurants from 75 to 50%. I'd like to find some place with fewer people, not in a big city. 

Everything I hear fl is wide open. 

50 minutes ago, Magicat said:

But reading the article I am more concerned with the $381B debit.  And it doesn't matter which political flavour we get, we will either have tax increases, service reductions or both.

Not a lot of choice with the deficit. in fact it could have been higher had the decision been made to be the first to get vaccines. I expect some tax bumps and real trimming of services. Although a great deal of a deficit can be quickly paid off with strong economic growth.

2 hours ago, Magicat said:

Oh and I forgot to mention, I read somewhere a company in Quebec would fly people on a small charter plane across the border and transport their RV's to the airport.  An ingenious idea to get around the border closing.  And I don't think it was too much.  Something like $1000 or so.

Her is the story you are referencing.  One company was from Quebec, and another from Waterloo.  Supposedly there are similar companies in BC as well. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/snowbirds-canada-u-s-border-drive-winter-travel-covid-19-1.5810104

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

I think given that our PM didn't seem to negotiate our being able to produce vaccine as other countries have, we'll probably be waiting awhile for vaccine.  I think it looks like the US has their act together and many will be vaccinated in the coming months.  It might not be a case of us opening the border but of when the US will allow us in.  In any case, I don't see the border being closed past May.  Anyway, hoping this is the case as we're booked for an Alaska cruise out of Seattle in August.