Difference Between Promenade and Esplanade?

LuCruise

Just curious...what's the actual difference between a Royal Promenade and an Esplanade?  I'm looking at photos of the latest Quantum cruise and the Esplanade looks very similar but it's two levels.  I'm guessing there are no parades or 70s events in an Esplanade?

18 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Um ok....sorry for the question and any spelling mistakes.  Didn't think it was so bad (and nice to have a thread that wasn't a downer of vaccine related).  Geez.  

Mods, please feel free to delete.

If you search on it, there are many discussions about the difference.  Basically, the Esplanade on the Quantum class ships is narrower than the Royal Promenade on Oasis class ships.  The Esplanade has restaurants and shops along its sides and the crowd blocking islands in the middle for the "sales" and it winds its way down the ship.  No parades, no 70's craziness, more of a way to get from one end of the ship to the other.  It is two levels that you can travel along to get somewhere, unlike the Royal Promenade that dead ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Um ok....sorry for the question and any spelling mistakes.  Didn't think it was so bad (and nice to have a thread that wasn't a downer of vaccine related).  Geez.  

I think you misunderstood my response. I was stating that the only difference between the Royal Promenade and the Royal Esplanade was the spelling of each. It was supposed to be light-hearted, as I do not see any other differences between the two. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mikew0805 said:

I think you misunderstood my response. I was stating that the only difference between the Royal Promenade and the Royal Esplanade was the spelling of each. It was supposed to be light-hearted, as I do not see any other differences between the two. 

My apologies.  Got it...they are quite similar. Thx for clarifying.

Hi Lu!

The Esplanade is two story, while the Promenade is one story. The Esplanade definitely is tighter...smaller, narrower and more cramped. All stores are located on the lower level. The upper level has restaurants, Bionic Bar and not much else. We use the upper level to cut through en-route to a destination. 

Both are nice, but we prefer the Promenade. Since we sail the Anthem of the Seas frequently as Bayonne is only an hours drive from home, we have gotten used to the Esplanade.  It is hard to describe the Esplanade without seeing it, as it is very different that other royal ships. As others have said, it starts straight, then veers to the side of the ship. It is not a straight line. 

At this point, I’ll take either! 🤓

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The shopping store area of the Esplanade is on a dog leg section separated from the bar/food area of the Esplanade.  On a typical Promenade stores and bar/food are more intermingled.  

Esplanade has an upper level bypass not found on Promenades.  This is the best feature of the Esplanade as you can bypass the crowds on the main level of the Esplanade.

There are a lot of kiosks used in the main area of the Esplanade which during 2 for $20 tshirt type events make the Esplanade packed so the bypass one deck  up is invaluable.

The main area of the Esplanade:

an_esplanade-3.jpg

an_esplanade-4.jpg

an_esplanade-7.jpg

Upper level has the Bionic Bar, Izumi and Wonderland.  It functions as a bypass around the lower area when the lower area is busy.

an_esplanade-2.jpg

The pub is at the end of the first section where it dog legs and continues forward to the shopping area.

an_esplanade-11.jpg

The forward half of the Esplanade.

an_esplanade-1.jpg

an_esplanade-8.jpg

an_esplanade-9.jpg

an_esplanade-10.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

I think this had been a good thread. I've enjoyed reading, and seeing photos, of the differences. Thanks for starting it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Just curious...what's the actual difference between a Royal Promenade and an Esplanade?  I'm looking at photos of the latest Quantum cruise and the Esplanade looks very similar but it's two levels.  I'm guessing there are no parades or 70s events in an Esplanade?

We have only cruised on Quantum in the  ship class and they did have a parade in the Esplanade on the inaugural Transatlantic in Nov 2014 . It was the Dreamworks collaboration and I think they have been abolished now with RCI , I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong 😆

EB3C53B0-1F27-44FD-94A9-ECCEEEFE224B.jpeg

0E19A38C-92F6-492B-98AB-9A9EAE16031D.jpeg

5A3AEFB8-B843-4365-B41A-05ED701ACF32.jpeg

Thanks heatherb1958.  That seems like a great place to have a parade with the 2 levels for viewing.  It's always so scrunched on the Promenade.

SkaterJasp, I love checking out the car on each ship on Oasis, Freedom and Voyager class.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

That seems like a great place to have a parade with the 2 levels for viewing.  It's always so scrunched on the Promenade.

I mostly sail on Quantum class ships and *If* the ship has a parade.. that’s a big *if*... my favorite spot is watching it from Izumi... I always time my lunch to just before the parade start and request a table that over looks the Esplanade. The “parades” are more like a show as they all go the area in front of the pub ‘ Izumi and do their thing and leave. 

Other experiences such as the 70s show might be held in other venues that are better suited for the event. I like it when they have the 70s show in Two70... they can take advantage of the unique theater set up for a different experience.

What I tell my friends that never been on a Quantum class ship is that they are a different experience, in a good way, than other Royal Caribbean ships. I also like the rooms and layout better. 

• Like 2

Hopefully, going on my 1st Quantum Class cruise on Odyssey Dec 2021 so am excited to experience the Esplanade for 1st time. We really enjoy 70s night on Oasis class ships. So on Quantum class, they still typically have 70s night, but not on Esplanade, just somewhere else on ship?

• Like 1

The Esplanade is cramped and not as open as the Promenade.  It leads into the Via where Jamie’s is and is a complete waste of space, I think.  They could have done much more with the space.  The 70’s show and other entertainment is usually in the Music Hall.  If you are upstairs you don’t get a great view of things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No surprise, @twangster gives the best description of the difference between the Esplanade  and Promenade.

I've always thought of the Esplanade as a smaller version of the Promenade - shorter, more narrow, not as many stores, not as active. Think of it as Royal Promenade "Lite"....25% less of everything. LOL.

First day of my first cruise on Anthem, I was a little disappointed as I was used to the Royal Promenade being the heart of the ship on Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class ships. But by the end of the cruise, I didn't miss it. There are so many other wonderful areas of the ship to enjoy,  and beside, not only is the Esplanade nicer looking than the Promenade, the Pub at the dog-leg end beats the Promenade English pub hand down. IMHO. It used to serve food ($) but that may have changed since my last time on Anthem a few years ago.

So, it'll be a different experience but not in a bad way. It's usually good to keep things fresh.

• Like 2