I got my vaccine! Let’s go!

cl.klink

41 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I imagine Kaiser didn't bother with different protocols for pharmacy employees with and without patient contact. 

Apparently Kaiser did exercise protocols, at least while I was there, standing in line for my turn.  At check-in I was required to answer questions in a thorough interview.  Kaiser was requiring proof of employment and nature of that employment (if a client was claiming 1b qualification for essential employment).  A Kaiser dental hygienist was in line directly in front of me.  She was given the third degree before she was allowed to proceed.  My Kaiser medical records were pulled up and reviewed to assure that I qualified for medical 1b (a note from my cardiologist in my file certainly helped).  I saw about 4 people turned away while I was waiting my turn.

9 minutes ago, hernando52 said:

Husband and I both had our first Moderna vaccination shot on Friday.  Our county was part of the Publix grocery/pharmacy pilot program, starting with seniors over 65..  All appointments were booked by 7:30 AM on a secure website, but got us in.  I was up and ready to book after the Gov. announced the pilot a couple of days before.  Publix had their act together.....we showed up and there were no lines (There was a deputy standing right there so people were very orderly)...we were taken in immediately, given the shot (absolutely painless) and all information we needed.  In total, from the time we got in the store, signed in, got our shots, waited afterwards, did weekend grocery shopping, travelled back at our house, the time was less than 1 hour.  We have a date and time for our second shot already if we go to the same location.  In the meantime, I am still waiting for the county health dept. to even acknowledge that I called them a couple of weeks back to get on a waiting list......So far, not an adverse reaction except a sore arm the day after. I do understand that there may be a reaction after the second shot, but it is mild and short lived.  Publix is expanding the vaccination site numbers now, and I would recommend their pharmacy.  We're very happy with our decision.  So this may explain the contradictory feedback on the FL rollout...I give a total thumbs down to the government sites, but the pilot with Publix worked out great for us.

Not working in some areas of Florida as you've experienced. I'm on the list for Palm Beach County. Received an email today that they can only give 500 shots per day and there are currently over 120,000 on the eligibility list. 

4 minutes ago, Orator said:

Not working in some areas of Florida as you've experienced. I'm on the list for Palm Beach County. Received an email today that they can only give 500 shots per day and there are currently over 120,000 on the eligibility list. 

Oh I agree that it is not working well in our area when dealing with the gov't. health dept.  I never heard back from them and I called a couple of weeks ago to make an appointment.  I was only speaking of my positive experience with Publix.  The pilot which started in our 3 counties on the west central coast has now been expanded to the panhandle. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

Apparently Kaiser did exercise protocols, at least while I was there, standing in line for my turn.  At check-in I was required to answer questions in a thorough interview.  Kaiser was requiring proof of employment and nature of that employment (if a client was claiming 1b qualification for essential employment).  A Kaiser dental hygienist was in line directly in front of me.  She was given the third degree before she was allowed to proceed.  My Kaiser medical records were pulled up and reviewed to assure that I qualified for medical 1b (a note from my cardiologist in my file certainly helped).  I saw about 4 people turned away while I was waiting my turn.

I'm sure they have lots of protocols. I just meant that they have apparently decided that all pharmacy employees are eligible now, whether they have patient contact or not. There are no patients at the CRP, yet doses for all employees were sent there. 

I've had Kaiser for over 53 years, and I didn't even know they have dental hygienists. I appreciate you sharing your experience. 

1 minute ago, hernando52 said:

Oh I agree that it is not working well in our area when dealing with the gov't. health dept.  I never heard back from them and I called a couple of weeks ago to make an appointment.  I was only speaking of my positive experience with Publix.  The pilot which started in our 3 counties on the west central coast has now been expanded to the panhandle. 

Glad that you received the vaccine and hope that Publix expands their program to Palm Beach County. I checked at CVS and they project to start in store vaccinations sometime in March.

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

I've had Kaiser for over 53 years, and I didn't even know they have dental hygienists. I appreciate you sharing your experience. 

Yes, Kaiser is affiliated with dental offices through their optional dental insurance.  Evidently those employees are qualified as Kaiser health care professional workers.  At least one of them, a dental hygienist in her 30's, got the vaccine right before me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Crucero said:

Yes, Kaiser is affiliated with dental offices through their optional dental insurance.  Evidently those employees are qualified as Kaiser health care professional workers.  At least one of them, a dental hygienist in her 30's, got the vaccine right before me.

Thanks! I need to look into that. Our COBRA dental expires in April. We've been looking at all sorts of options, but wasn't aware that Kaiser is among them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KEG21552 said:

cl.clink

how are you feeling after you second shot?

I had zero reaction to shot #2.  There is apparently a lot of variation.  My resident physicians, who are young(ish) and healthy, mostly had no reactions to shot #2, but  a few had fever and malaise and headache and had to take a day or two off.  I would have preferred to have some reaction just to reassure myself that they did not sneak in a saline placebo in a conspiracy to water the supply down!

I've been sitting back and enjoying reading the back and forth that my initial post has been followed by.  My positive spin is that I am glad that we are starting the process of responding to this thing.  This is not forever.  We are turning a corner, even if slowly and sloppily.  My whole perspective on all that we have had to do in response to the pandemic is not to lament at what we have lost or what could have been a better response.  Instead, I am asking of myself, and those I work with each day, this:  Given the limits of what we have to work with, what's the best we can do about this today? 

Let's do that.

- Joel

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

On 1/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, Oceangoer2 said:

Why are some saying the inoculation procedure is a nightmare (in some parts of Florida)?  Hours long waiting, overnight in cars in some cases, confusion over who can/can't receive it, snowbirds getting it before permanent citizens?  Saying that, however, really happy for all who received it not matter how long the waiting period may have been.

Please don't go there.Its very POLITICAL.

10 minutes ago, verizon said:

Please don't go there.Its very POLITICAL.

What?  A mess is a mess (wherever it exists)...certainly not political  - unless you're looking for it to be.  There are other responses here I would consider semi-political.  Still happy those who are receiving, are receiving. 

Not in the habit of 'quoting', but you said:  "

On 1/5/2021 at 8:06 PM, Airbalancer said:

I think is just crazy , Florida should be charging the full price 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7553974/canada-snowbirds-seniors-coronavirus-vaccine-florida/

This really upset me as their own citizens are fighting for the one dose and it was given to foreigner."

IMO, this is political.  Apology accepted.

Edited by Oceangoer2

I received the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on Monday.   The Public Health Department in our county said they were vaccinating 4,000 persons a month.   Also, my general practitioners office called yesterday and said they were receiving some COVID-19 vaccines.   Other physicians, clinics and offices as well as CVS and Walgreens will be administering the vaccine.  Georgia expects to have administered a substantial percentage of those seeking the vaccine by June.

According to the CDC over 11,000,000 have been vaccinated and 30,600,000 distributed.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html

Our county has about 86,000 residents.  

• Like 3

Ok here it comes.  Vaccines and smoking.  If you are a smoker you qualify at the head of the line to get vaccinated in certain states like NJ.  This will be a lightening rod for sure!  How many people will just tell a lie and say they are a smoker?  

https://www.businessinsider.com/smokers-prioritized-us-covid-19-vaccine-2021-1

58 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Ok here it comes.  Vaccines and smoking.  If you are a smoker you qualify at the head of the line to get vaccinated in certain states like NJ.  This will be a lightening rod for sure!  How many people will just tell a lie and say they are a smoker?  

https://www.businessinsider.com/smokers-prioritized-us-covid-19-vaccine-2021-1

Not sure that I understand the logic for that, since smoking is a voluntary method of harming your lungs and significantly increasing the potential for lung cancer.  Still, I believe if it saves more lives, perhaps it works?

8 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Not sure that I understand the logic for that, since smoking is a voluntary method of harming your lungs and significantly increasing the potential for lung cancer.  Still, I believe if it saves more lives, perhaps it works?

I guess if we can prioritize murderers, rapists, and serial killers, putting smokers ahead of people who should receive it first is no big deal😔

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 12:34 PM, hernando52 said:

My Publix experience went the same as yours. Kudos.  My brother n sister got in with Fl health no problem. Persistence is the key.  

14 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I guess if we can prioritize murderers, rapists, and serial killers, putting smokers ahead of people who should receive it first is no big deal😔

Maybe a 65+ smoker should be vaccinated ahead of me.  But I'm not sure about a 25 year old smoker in good health overall.  If the states could just focus on the combination of risk and age, then a lot of this craziness might go away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

If the states could just focus on the combination of risk and age, then a lot of this craziness might go away. 

I agree but I think it is more complicated than that.  What is your impression about how things are going in MA?  I have a friend who lives in Natick area and is 60+ and immuno-compromised.  She is furious about how the vaccine is being distributed in the State.  No one, even her PCP, can give her an idea right now when she might be scheduled for vaccination.

I live in a small community with about 20,000 people over 65+.  Our California county sent out a general broadcast email yesterday that they would hold Covid vaccination clinic in our community for those 65+ for two days only next week by appointment only.  Their reservation hot line crashed almost immediately.  Two hours later, the hot line had a recorded message that appointments were no longer available!  We have a lot of p.o.'d gramps and grannies right now!

Edited by El Crucero

On 1/13/2021 at 11:35 AM, MamaFej said:

I'm sure they have lots of protocols. I just meant that they have apparently decided that all pharmacy employees are eligible now, whether they have patient contact or not. There are no patients at the CRP, yet doses for all employees were sent there. 

This is what really pushes my angry button (and no offense to the poster who took the vaccine offered - I certainly would do the same in the same situation).  Group 1a has expanded way beyond what it honestly should be to include a great number of people who have no contact with the public at all, or at the worst have some contact with the public but not with patients who potentially have the virus (at least no more so than grocery store clerks, etc.).  Totally not fair.

And in my state of Illinois, those of us 65+ are still waiting,  And waiting.  And waiting.  The current estimate of when we will start to get the vaccine is the end of this month, and then they anticipate it may take TWELVE weeks to get us all vaccinated.  That means realistically, being in my 60's with (thankfully) no underlying heath conditions, I may not be able to get my first dose until possibly the end of April.  Based on what was first talked about by the so-called "experts" I should be getting it - oh, about right now as I write this.  And that also means that my adult children may not be getting the vaccination until sometime this summer (at best!).  Very frustrating and very stress inducing.  

Developed the vaccine so rapidly was truly inspiring.  The way it's being rolled out is truly demoralizing.

Edited by phoenix_dream

32 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

I agree but I think it is more complicated than that.  What is your impression about how things are going in MA?  I have a friend who lives in Natick area and is 60+ and immuno-compromised.  She is furious about how the vaccine is being distributed in the State.  No one, even her PCP, can give her an idea right now when she might be scheduled for vaccination.

I live in a small community with about 20,000 people over 65+.  Our California county sent out a general broadcast email yesterday that they would hold Covid vaccination clinic in our community for those 65+ for two days only next week by appointment only.  Their reservation hot line crashed almost immediately.  Two hours later, the hot line had a recorded message that appointments were no longer available!  We have a lot of p.o.'d gramps and grannies right now!

I live in PA but most of my family and dw's family lives in MA and NH.  Here is my MA vaccine story. 

My elderly FIL (90 years old) and MIL (85 years old) are in northeast MA.  They both have heart valve problems and are diagnosed with congestive heart failure. My FIL went for a yearly physical at the local VA hospital this week.  They could not offer him the vaccine.  They put him on a waiting list but told him it was an undetermined time and place.  But their daughter (in her 40's) lives with them and works for a home health care agency (in the back office so not frontline).  She was offered the vaccine two weeks ago.  And she refused to take it because she was concerned about side effects.  Let's stop all this nonsense and just get the vaccine to those most at risk!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Maybe a 65+ smoker should be vaccinated ahead of me.  But I'm not sure about a 25 year old smoker in good health overall.  If the states could just focus on the combination of risk and age, then a lot of this craziness might go away. 

I just picked up smoking,hope I qualified.

• Haha 2

Saw a notice last night (on state Covid web-site) that our scheduled group (1-B, those over 75 years of age), will now include those over 65 years of age (starting 26 January, and expected to last until into March.

We are still waiting for our appointments, from before they lowered the age limit.  Hopefully they actually have a viable plan that will allow most folks, who want/need to get the vaccine  -- soon.

NRayH

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

This is what really pushes my angry button (and no offense to the poster who took the vaccine offered - I certainly would do the same in the same situation). 

I understand. As I said, my brother was surprised it was offered at his work, and if the employees there hadn't taken it, the doses would have spoiled. Both my brother and I are frustrated that our helathy 79 year-old father and our unhealthy 77 year-old mother are being told, "We have no idea when you can get your shots," but health-care workers like him, with no patient contact, have been vaccinated. As I said earlier, I'm glad I'm not in charge, but I wish those who are would take the big picture (or be permitted to take the big picture) into account.