I got my vaccine! Let’s go!

cl.klink

I was surprised they had them so late. They could have had them four weeks ago in the UK. I was giving the Pfizer second dose to over 80s today (and had it myself so a little achey). Rarely did they report side-effects to the first vaccine which I believe is usually the case in older folk.

I note that many under 60 politicians had theirs a couple of weeks ago at the start of the roll out, although arguably they were demonstrating to the masses that it is safe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

. I was giving the Pfizer second dose to over 80s today

I was told 2nd dose would now be given in 12 weeks.

However, the roll out is inconsistent, we were rung late on Wednesday as an unexpected delivery of the vaccine had been received, so were asked if we could get to the vaccine hub on Thursday.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 9:51 AM, cl.klink said:

They gave me a “COVID-19 vaccination record card,” stating “please keep this record card, which includes medical information about the vaccines you have received.” It included a sticker that indicated the vaccine manufacturer, lot, and expiration date. I presume this is the “evidence” I may need to show one day, or something like it, when society starts to open up some more and requires a kind of proof of vaccine. 

Let the process begin, and let’s get sailing again.

- Joel

8FE3B484-A73D-45CA-89FC-EECF1933B9AE.jpeg

We get our vaccines next Monday the 11th and are excited as well.  Many safe travels

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

I was told 2nd dose would now be given in 12 weeks.

However, the roll out is inconsistent, we were rung late on Wednesday as an unexpected delivery of the vaccine had been received, so were asked if we could get to the vaccine hub on Thursday.

As some health authorities seem to be playing fast and loose with the "approved" spacing between doses I say good for you to get the second dose in a timely manner. I'm afraid that with the rushed approval of the vaccine that messing with the prescribed dosing is probably not appropriate. I understand that the vaccine is in short supply and the concept of getting as many people vaccinated quickly is important. I just think it would be better to get fewer people vaccinated properly, than get more people half vaccinated and role the dice that the new dosing might work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully the "one shot" J&J EUA vaccine will be available to get when its time for us youngsters over 65 to get it. Really don't want to have to go through the pain in our state of dialing the 1-800 number numerous times to reserve the second booster mRNA shot. Rather just have the one and be done with it.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

5 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I just encountered this thread. I literally smiled every time I read that someone got vaccinated. 

Thank you for that! I definitely need a good reason to smile this week!

Let's all of us get there soon!

- Joel

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

As some health authorities seem to be playing fast and loose with the "approved" spacing between doses I say good for you to get the second dose in a timely manner. I'm afraid that with the rushed approval of the vaccine that messing with the prescribed dosing is probably not appropriate. I understand that the vaccine is in short supply and the concept of getting as many people vaccinated quickly is important. I just think it would be better to get fewer people vaccinated properly, than get more people half vaccinated and role the dice that the new dosing might work.

There's really no one that knows the best approach unfortunately.  My issue with waiting so long to give vaccines to people, due to supply concerns and very slow roll-outs, is that the people in the first group especially (in the US I am speaking of) are generally not the ones who are out and about spreading the virus.  I know long term care people have been significantly affected, but vaccinating them protects them but doesn't do a whole lot to stop the spread.  Their higher infection and death rates are likely more indicative of their much reduced immune response, rather than any action they are taking to spread the virus.  If we can significantly slow down the spread of the virus by giving people one dose that can be reasonably effective, I wonder if that is not the right approach.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

If we can significantly slow down the spread of the virus by giving people one dose that can be reasonably effective, I wonder if that is not the right approach.  

That is the thinking of the scientific advisors in the UK, hence the new government guidelines.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Received our vaccines on Thursday - what a mess in Florida.  The incompetent governor lowered the first tier to 65 from 75 (we are 76 and 79).  That increased the number of people qualified by around 20 percent and created turmoil.  A real cluster to try and schedule in our county.  Drove two counties over - first come first served.  Early a very long line which was stopped after about 2 hours.  Two hours later a restart and we got in.  Pfizer version.  Provided card stated we need to get the booster in 3 weeks - not 12 or whatever.  Three weeks.  My understanding is the efficacy testing is based on the 3-week time frame.  Longer than that has not been tested.  Moderna is apparently 4 weeks between inoculations.

We are booked on a T/A March 2022 and looking for a westbound for Fall 22.  We have no problems with using PPE and expect to keep that need for a long time, and likely on the cruise.  Keeps everyone safer.

Stay safe!

Sorry about the issues regarding your vaccination process but happy to hear about the eventual success. This is an ongoing trial-by-fire all across the country. Because of that, I am willing to give everyone concerned with this huge undertaking lots of leeway in their attempts to render an orderly exercise.

Our Florida county is progressing nicely. My DW and I were scheduled for vaccinating on 1/20/21. Just this morning we received an e-mail that we had been moved to 1/12/21 if we wanted the earlier appointment. Obviously, a no-brainer. Based on this, we will be fully shot-up by mid-February. Not to ignore the optimism of many, it is my feeling that 2021 cruising will not be a benefit that we will enjoy this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2020 at 4:19 PM, RickT said:

Congratulations!  No idea when I'll get my vaccine.  I'm not in any front line health care position nor am I elderly (at least I don't think so).  In my area those are the first groups to get the vaccine.  I'll wait my turn but will be sure to be in line as soon as my number is called.

Stay safe everyone.

I am Halifax as well but but 67 and healthy. I think this makes me after April as I don't fit in anywhere. I am glad that we have an organized pecking order though as I think once the vulnerable and frontline are done it will be much safer to open up 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, Ride-The-Waves said:

Received our vaccines on Thursday - what a mess in Florida.  The incompetent governor lowered the first tier to 65 from 75 (we are 76 and 79).  That increased the number of people qualified by around 20 percent and created turmoil.  A real cluster to try and schedule in our county.  Drove two counties over - first come first served.  Early a very long line which was stopped after about 2 hours.  Two hours later a restart and we got in.  Pfizer version.  Provided card stated we need to get the booster in 3 weeks - not 12 or whatever.  Three weeks.  My understanding is the efficacy testing is based on the 3-week time frame.  Longer than that has not been tested.  Moderna is apparently 4 weeks between inoculations.

We are booked on a T/A March 2022 and looking for a westbound for Fall 22.  We have no problems with using PPE and expect to keep that need for a long time, and likely on the cruise.  Keeps everyone safer.

Stay safe!

It is amazing that you have received your first dose and are adamant about your opposition to FL’s approach. You are lucky that you do not live in NY or IL where not a single person either 75 or 65 and above, who does not live in a long term care facility have received the vaccine.

The IL state government has finally modified the definition of elderly to 65 and above and put them in group 1b with the 75 and above.  IL is still only providing vaccines to group 1a.   They say that they will not go to 1b until 85% of group 1a is completed.  I believe NY is also considering modifying their definition of elderly.  After all 80% of the deaths attribute to COVID are 65 years old and above.  Why shouldn’t they focus on lowering the death rate. So if you lived in NY, IL or most other state in the union, you would not have received a shot. 

Florida has administered over 550K  shots, which is number three in states by number.  We shall see how effectively Florida ramps  up.  Other states are making changes to focus on  administering shots instead of centralizing the control.  Almost 8 million shots across the US has been administered with 22 million doses delivered.  That itself is an amazing logistics success. Since the 20th case of the COVID was not officially confirmed until the end of February, it is a miracle that we even have a vaccine providing hope of improvement.  

Of course you are always entitled to your opinion, but I happened to think you are among the very fortunate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It has been a disaster rollout in GA. WE are 75 and our hospital says maybe March or April to get vaccinated. I asked my doctor's office if they heard anything...it's coming, but no date. I have run into a couple of people that in my opinion...didn't work in medical field...that got vaccinated. Phone lines are useless. CVS says they are waiting on Federal approval to begin....but no date given. What a mess !!!

I was in the Pfizer phase 3 trial.  Found out last we when unblinded that I did receive the real vaccine in September and October.  Unbeknownst to me, I have been duly vaccinated since then.  The trial is issuing ID cards to us.

My better half had dose 1 two weeks ago.  Dose two scheduled for January 20th.  We are going to be ready soon!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, galveston gal said:

I was in the Pfizer phase 3 trial.  Found out last we when unblinded that I did receive the real vaccine in September and October.  Unbeknownst to me, I have been duly vaccinated since then.  The trial is issuing ID cards to us.

My better half had dose 1 two weeks ago.  Dose two scheduled for January 20th.  We are going to be ready soon!!!

Congratulations!

- Joel

53 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I just read that Quebec is starting a rather strong curfew beginning tonight.

The 8:00 PM to 5:00 AM curfew actually started last night, and while dozens of people were arrested for ignoring or challenging the curfew, the majority of Québécois did their part to help fight COVID. Just as well, as fines for violating the curfew start at $1,000 plus $550 in additional fees, and can go as high as $6,000. Needless to say, the government is getting serious.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The 8:00 PM to 5:00 AM curfew actually started last night, and while dozens of people were arrested for ignoring or challenging the curfew, the majority of Québécois did their part to help fight COVID. Just as well, as fines for violating the curfew start at $1,000 plus $550 in additional fees, and can go as high as $6,000. Needless to say, the government is getting serious.

I love Quebec City- stay safe!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Good for them. I have frequently wished in recent times that we here in New England could be annexed by Canada...

• Like 1

In the UK and I suspect most if not all countries, getting the vaccine changes nothing, all restrictions still apply to you and very little is expected to change this year, UK residents have been told that all "should" be vaccinated by the autumn.