I got my vaccine! Let’s go!

cl.klink

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

Whether it will become a requirement 'generally" is one thing.  It almost certainly will be a requirement for boarding a cruise ship, at least until the pandemic ends and perhaps permanently as the virus is not likely to ever totally go away. The cruise lines absolutely cannot survive another disaster like the one they had before shutdown. 

Preventing non-vaccinated people from boarding does not constitute discrimination, and even if it did the lines are not US owned so are not subject to US discrimination laws.  Keep in mind you already need proof of certain vaccinations prior to boarding depending on which ports you are visiting.  There is also a huge difference between preventing non-vaccinated people from earning an income or going into a store versus boarding a non-US owned vessel for a vacation.  

As to losing patrons due to the requirement, perhaps there will be some who refuse to cruise because of that.  At the same time I suspect there will be hundreds of thousands of us who would refuse to cruise if it were NOT required.  I know I am one of them!

Any county including the US can require a vaccination has a condition of entry.  I am a little foggy as to if I have ever visited a port or county that required a vaccination of some sort.  I am even more foggy as to how a vaccination was proven.  Can you provide me some examples?

There is no approved COVID vaccine for children and young adults and children.  The vaccine is not recommended for those with potential allergic reactions and perhaps other conditions.  So you will never go on a cruise if any of those people are on the ship?  Do you really think the US and the world will be able to implement a full proof system to track vaccination?  We can’t even get A REAL driver license system implemented in the US, it is taking forever.

I will get my vaccination as soon as I am able to get it and I will happily cruise with some people that have not been vaccinated.  

15 hours ago, cl.klink said:

To quote Winston Churchill, "This is not the end, nor even the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning" (or something very wise, like that).

- Joel

Maybe the end of the beginning of Volume 1... if the S African strain is a portend of things to come.

59 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Any county including the US can require a vaccination has a condition of entry.  I am a little foggy as to if I have ever visited a port or county that required a vaccination of some sort.  I am even more foggy as to how a vaccination was proven.  Can you provide me some examples?

There is no approved COVID vaccine for children and young adults and children.  The vaccine is not recommended for those with potential allergic reactions and perhaps other conditions.  So you will never go on a cruise if any of those people are on the ship?  Do you really think the US and the world will be able to implement a full proof system to track vaccination?  We can’t even get A REAL driver license system implemented in the US, it is taking forever.

I will get my vaccination as soon as I am able to get it and I will happily cruise with some people that have not been vaccinated.  

Yellow fever is a prime example of a disease for which a number of countries demand proof of vaccination for all travellers. The countries include:

Angola
Burundi
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Congo, Republic of the
Côte d’Ivoire
Democratic Republic of Congo
French Guiana
Gabon
Ghana
Guinea-Bissau
Liberia
Mali
Niger
Sierra Leone
Togo
Uganda

Proof of vaccination is normally the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis, the familiar "yellow card".

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Why "eventually" for the folks with the vaccination? Either it works, or it doesn't.  

Because - #1 unless you wear a gold star or some other device others have no way to know and #2 the vaccines are not 100% effective.  You still have a 5% or better chance that you could be infected and infect me.

Our health department said masks inside buildings until the pandemic declaration is rescinded.

1 hour ago, Nancycat said:

I am getting my vaccine Tuesday January 12, at 10:30AM, I can not wait 

Had mine at 17.00 today. We had a phone call last night asking if we were able to attend. My daughter, who is a Physio, had hers last night. I suspect that a delivery was made to our town yesterday and the doses needed using before they ‘went off.’ No pain- yet..

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Yellow fever is a prime example of a disease for which a number of countries demand proof of vaccination for all travellers. The countries include:

Angola
Burundi
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Congo, Republic of the
Côte d’Ivoire
Democratic Republic of Congo
French Guiana
Gabon
Ghana
Guinea-Bissau
Liberia
Mali
Niger
Sierra Leone
Togo
Uganda

Proof of vaccination is normally the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis, the familiar "yellow card".

I have never been to any of those countries.  Thank you for the explanation.  

Edited by jagoffee

I received the Pfizer vaccine yesterday.....I feel fine.....just a little soreness in my arm (like you might feel after getting any kind of shot).....In 3 weeks, I will be getting the 2nd dose.....I know that we still have a long way to go, but hopefully, this will help me get back to doing the things I loved to do before this madness began.....It may take awhile.....but I am confident that I will sail again!.....Stay safe!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Anyone who thinks getting the vaccine opens up the door to cruising or other forms of travel had better be prepared for a very long wait!

4 hours ago, emmas gran said:

I would love too know where you got this information

Globally, cases and deaths continue to rise, and only a few dozen countries have even started to administer vaccinations. For a variety of reasons, many of those countries that have started are experiencing delays and falling far behind their anticipated schedules. Sticking a needle in a few or even several million arms is not going to bring the pandemic to its knees, and it will be a long time before there will be any meaningful impact from vaccinations. 

• Like 4

I get mine tomorrow at 12:15 and am so excited!  Now, if my hubby can get his this month.  it is, at the very least, a beginning with a light at the end of the tunnel.

Moderna

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Globally, cases and deaths continue to rise, and only a few dozen countries have even started to administer vaccinations. For a variety of reasons, many of those countries that have started are experiencing delays and falling far behind their anticipated schedules. Sticking a needle in a few or even several million arms is not going to bring the pandemic to its knees, and it will be a long time before there will be any meaningful impact from vaccinations. 

Would you be surprised to know that vaccine shots have been administered in 40 countries?  Lead by over 7 million in the US?

You may be right about  the impact.  My guess is that there will be a meaningful reductions in deaths in the US characterized as COVID by July.  Relatively short time.  

We will know by August.

On 1/7/2021 at 1:02 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Because - #1 unless you wear a gold star or some other device others have no way to know and #2 the vaccines are not 100% effective.  You still have a 5% or better chance that you could be infected and infect me.

Our health department said masks inside buildings until the pandemic declaration is rescinded.

I think the chances are even higher than that. It has been explained to me that the 95% means that you have a 95% chance of not getting sick not a 95% chance of not getting infected. So the vaccine reduces illness not infection. Of course if everyone is vaccinated then 5% would get sick and likely far, far fewer would have serious complications or death.

7 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Would you be surprised to know that vaccine shots have been administered in 40 countries?  Lead by over 7 million in the US?

You may be right about  the impact.  My guess is that there will be a meaningful reductions in deaths in the US characterized as COVID by July.  Relatively short time.  

We will know by August.

Since seniors are getting vaccinated first and they have been the highest death group so far this is a logical projection to make.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, proshopred said:

I received the Pfizer vaccine yesterday.....I feel fine.....just a little soreness in my arm (like you might feel after getting any kind of shot).....In 3 weeks, I will be getting the 2nd dose.....I know that we still have a long way to go, but hopefully, this will help me get back to doing the things I loved to do before this madness began.....It may take awhile.....but I am confident that I will sail again!.....Stay safe!

Unfortunately, the UK has decided that the 2 nd shot will be given 12 WEEKS after the first, as they want to get as many of the vulnerable group protected as possible. 
I consider myself lucky to have had the call to go, just 24 later, but am told to still act as though we haven’t been vaccinated, as I could still pass it on if I get infected. 

Finally, we have news from our county board of health (Lorain, Ohio) as to how to sign up for 1b eligibility, where the vaccines may be distributed, which one we will get (Moderna), and a tentative timeline for the start of the vaccination. But nothing concrete.

We are .25 miles from the border of Cuyahoga County which includes Cleveland, and that county's rollout plan has not yet been published.

I am happy for our Cruise Critic friends from other states and countries who have received their jabs!

9 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I think the chances are even higher than that. It has been explained to me that the 95% means that you have a 95% chance of not getting sick not a 95% chance of not getting infected. So the vaccine reduces illness not infection. Of course if everyone is vaccinated then 5% would get sick and likely far, far fewer would have serious complications or death.

Yes everything you say here is true.  But it is possible that the vaccines prevent infection and transmission to some degree too.  But it was not measured in the clinical trials so it cannot be reported as such.  But that is a critical question and it is still being addressed.

• Like 2

Got my second dose about 24 hours ago. My arm is SORE and I’m a little tired, but that may well be from missed sleep - as soon as the Advil wore off my arm pain woke me up. Otherwise I feel,normal and would have gone to work if this was a workday.

Here, the nurses giving the second shots asked if you had premedicated (I did) and recommended regular doses of ibuprofen and Tylenol for 24 hours after. Check with your physician, health Dept or vaccination site.

I know a few people who had significant reactions, typically waking up in the middle of the night after the second shot (or the first one if they had had Covid) - fever, chills, aches, diarrhea - all resolved within 12-24 hours.

9 hours ago, jagoffee said:

We will know by August.

No, not at all surprised, which is why I said "a few dozen countries". I chose to use "a few dozen" instead of an exact number because if I had said 40, someone would have come along a day or two later, after another country started its program, to point out that I was wrong, that its 41, not 40. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Alabama has announced that those 75 and older can schedule a vaccination to be administered starting 1/18.  This means DH can get his first shot, though I can’t yet.  Unfortunately, the number to call to schedule is overloaded.  I started calling when it was to open at 8:00 this morning (8:00 - 5:00 7 days a week);  have called 18 times so far.  

25 minutes ago, bama4cruisin said:

Alabama has announced that those 75 and older can schedule a vaccination to be administered starting 1/18.  This means DH can get his first shot, though I can’t yet.  Unfortunately, the number to call to schedule is overloaded.  I started calling when it was to open at 8:00 this morning (8:00 - 5:00 7 days a week);  have called 18 times so far.  

Good news!  I think some of these age cutoffs for couples of different ages will lead to a lot of Singles cruising based on age and vaccination status.  😀

• Haha 1