What does your TA do for you?

CarolinaMamma

For those who love your TA, tell me why you prefer booking with them as opposed to directly with NCL. Other than maybe a little OBC, is there a compelling reason? And, best case scenario, how much OBC are we talking about for a Haven cabin on a 7-day Caribbean sailing?  

I am looking at 2022 cruises and wondering if there is additional value a TA can provide in these crazy times, with so much uncertainty and prices bound to fluctuate more than usual over the next year. Will they watch for price drops? Be more likely than I am to know what is and isn’t a good deal?  

I can understand the value a TA provides to a cruise newbie or someone with very flexible dates and lot of choices, , but I read CC, do my research, and appreciate the ability to communicate directly with the cruise line to make changes. I am beholden to school schedules and have a very specific cabin type I’m looking for (Haven 2-BR family Villa on Encore, Joy, Bliss or Epic) so some of the category upgrades that a TA might provide don’t really apply. 

My PCC at NCL is NOT amazing, and there are times I’ve felt I need to educate her about various amenities, what’s included in beverage package, etc. She isn’t awful, but hasn’t done much to earn my business. Even when I told her “call me if the price for this cabin category on this cruise drops below x,” she kept throwing “30% off” at me, which we all know is meaningless. She was not helpful when our cruise was cancelled last spring, and keeps calling my teenagers trying to sell them cruises, despite my telling her which phone numbers are for my husband and me. 

I haven’t used a TA in years, but when I did, I was underwhelmed. 20 years ago I booked 8 cabins for my extended family and got nothing from the TA (I was too young and dumb to ask). Another time I gave a TA parameters of what I was looking for (spring break dates, 3 ships, cabin type) but I ended up finding a better deal than they did.  In fairness, I didn’t shop around, just picked TAs who were geographically close to me. 

If there’s a good TA out there who can provide value over what I can do myself, I would love to work with them. I know CC doesn’t allow recommendations of specific TAs, but I’d like to understand what I am looking for, best case scenario, if shopping around. 

Thank you! 

I used to use a TA, however we have built a fabulous relationship with an NCL agent.

in the U.K. many TA are not sighed up the the upgrade program, also there’s always an element of doubt with there adverts, when you call the figure is always higher.

I use a local travel agent who is a Certified Cruise Consultant (through his trade association) had has been in business for many years.  As a widow in her 70's, he handles everything for me: (1) books cruises at the best rate and perks possible, (2) books all my flights, (3) makes ground transportation arrangements, (4) books pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel arrangements if needed, (4) finds excellent add-on insurance (usually through his trade association).  On occasions, he has notified of changes to flights while I have been on a cruise.  I would not travel anywhere without his guidance and assistance. 

• Like 2

I use a very large TA site that does little "for you" in terms of a huge personal touch.  What they do do is regularly get me around 100 per thousand in onboard credit.  On a 7 day Haven I had in Jan that was just cancelled I paid about $7000 and I had $850 OBC.  That is why I always go with them.  They also have no issues rebooking if I find a lower rate, but I have to do the research.  I have never been called with a lower rate that they found.

So TAs really proved their value this past spring.  They spent HOURS on hold to process cancellations and get refunds issued so their clients did not have to.  Many now keep a list of which travel companies treated their clients well and which did not.  They can do your research for you on travel insurance, if you want it. The cruise line insurance may be the best choice for you but it may not be.  They can research for if it is better to buy air through the cruise company or separately. If you want a pre or post cruise hotel, most can get you a much better deal than those offered by the cruise line.  The best ones give you their cell phone numbers and are available any time to help you if things go amiss during your trip.  Many associated with large consortiums can give you extras like a bit more OBC.  All this for the same cost as booking directly.

Good ones will keep an eye for you for fare reductions and help get it processed.

Edited by Gretchendz
  • Like 4

A TA in Sweden give me nothing extra. Not a better price, no OBC or anything else.

It's easy to book on NCLs website. MSC has a useless website but their customer service in Sweden is excellent so it's easy to book with them too.

The only reason to use a TA in Sweden is that it gives some economical protection if airline + cruise is booked as a package.

I once thought that a TA could help if something happened but when I couldn't get in touch with them when most of the airports in northeast US closed because of a gigantic snowstorm I changed my mind about that! 

Whole new world as far as TA service.  Ours was large agency and was great with one agent for years.  They appear to be bare bones now as far as staff.  Haven't booked anything new so unsure.

But as one PP said, we get about $100 per $1000 straight discount for pax 1&2.

Plus I email what we want and it gets done with little of wasted time for me. 

My TA agency does absolutely nothing and I’m fine with that. I consistently book with them for the OBC. On our 2022 cruise, we’re getting about 18% of our cruise fare (before taxes and port fees) back in OBC. In fact, everyone should aim for around 10% on every cruise. 

I always do my own research and plan all excursions and barely ever talk to anyone  at the agency. 

Edited by pr0pel

I would NEVER use a TA.  There is absolutely nothing that a TA does that I cannot do for myself and do better without having a third party stuck between me and the cruise line.  TAs are about useless these days unless you are too lazy to do  little research on your won.  I am sue there are some who are honest, hard working, and good at what they do, just what they do is of little use to most people.

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I would NEVER use a TA.  There is absolutely nothing that a TA does that I cannot do for myself and do better without having a third party stuck between me and the cruise line.  TAs are about useless these days unless you are too lazy to do  little research on your won.  I am sue there are some who are honest, hard working, and good at what they do, just what they do is of little use to most people.

So you regularly get $100 or so in OBC or other ways back per $1000 spent in cruise fare? Get after it...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mtrancher said:

When you use a TA; does NCL website still show your trip? Can you make payments directly on the NCL website or does everything flow through to TA?

NCL site shows your trip.  You can reserve things and add things to your trip.  You DO NOT/Can't make payments direct.  They have to go through your TA (just this part really).

• Like 1

So I started to book a cruise on a TA sight that others are possibly getting flogged for... but non of the Norwegian Free at sea offers showed up. The price was the same as on NCL; and I read where the onboard credit won't show until I actually book, but under promotions I thought the free at sea items should show.... any experience with this?

I also booked with that same TA (the flogging one) during their Halloween promotion for an extra $100 OBC in addition to their regular OBC for a NCL cruise in Jan. 2021.  The cruise came with free air and two perks.  I knew they charged $50pp for cancellation but this was 2019 and no one knew about the pandemic then.

When they sent me their confirmation page, it only included their regular OBC, not the extra one.  I had to ask and they had to send me a separate page with this offer.  Then when I checked MYNCL the two perks were listed but the free air was not.  I called NCL and the agent said she could see it listed and did not know why it wasn't showing.  I asked the TA to check into it but never heard back.

In August, 2020, 120 days before final payment and 2 days before they extended final payment to only 60 days we were worried about sending in the final payment,  I re-read the confirmation policy and then saw payment was going to be automatically sent in by the TA.  I tried to contact the TA and it was three days before they finally got back to me.  We did cancel at that time and they did charge me $100.

When NCL cancelled the January 2021 sailings, we applied for a chargeback of this fee and got it.

I also once used that other TA that was alluded to that has agents that sub contract from them that work independently from home.  I changed from a IB category to a BX category and they removed my OBC.

I'm back now with my regular TA who only gives me about 7% OBC but now states there is no cancellation fee.

4 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Oops.  I am in REAL trouble.  I am going to have to UNTAKE the 3 (at least) cruises that I have taken that have been paid completely by savings/OBCs I have received from TAs.  The total is in the $15000-$18000 range.  Perhaps more (saved $3500 on one cruise alone this February). 

My wife is gonna kill me when she finds out that we have to give those sailings back. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buford T Justiice said:

In my opinion, if you follow Cruise Critic regularly you may know more about the cruise line than your average TA.

I absolutely agree with this.

I don't expect any TA to know more than me. I get information here on Cruise Critic every day and I have spent thousands of hours reading brochures from many different lines so I know a lot even if I only have been on nine cruises on two different lines, so far. 

I also know more about airlines, airplanes and airports than almost every TA.

I know a lot and if more research is needed I love to do it so no need to use a TA for that!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Oops.  I am in REAL trouble.  I am going to have to UNTAKE the 3 (at least) cruises that I have taken that have been paid completely by savings/OBCs I have received from TAs.  The total is in the $15000-$18000 range.  Perhaps more (saved $3500 on one cruise alone this February). 

My wife is gonna kill me when she finds out that we have to give those sailings back. 

Perhaps you should hold off telling her. As an alternative you could send me the $15000 and I will spend it on a cruise effectively cancelling your free cruises. Therefore you lose the savings but don't have to "give back" anything. Plus make a friend in Montana. Wait for it..... THAT'S A GREAT IDEA!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, boatseller said:

You have to have a good TA.  If you're not happy with one, just try another.

I think the daunting part... .is finding that good TA. Hence why I have always booked directly with NCL, at least I felt in direct control. After reading enough posts it makes sense to me a good TA can bring extra discounts or perks, good advice, service and perhaps some clout to solve problems.    So how do you find a good TA prior to booking with them?

• Like 1