The Daily for Friday Jan 1, 2021 -- Happy New Year!!!

richwmn

I guess you could call this “Confessions of a Former Lurker”.  This is to let the lurkers know that they are always welcome, but we would love for them to join the conversation and to become CC friends, too.

Early in the pandemic when the Fleet Report became the Daily, I would check the ship locations, but go no further thinking it would mostly be the thank yous for posting.  Over time, DH started reading the posts and telling me about some of the more interesting ones.  I began following the thread, but like many, did not feel I had anything to contribute.

Then one day, someone asked a question or made a comment that I knew I could answer.  As no one had posted a reply, I jumped in.  I was welcomed to the Daily and even made Roy’s celebration list. 👍    It was still a while before I became a regular poster.

During this time of social isolation, it has become a warm place to visit and to feel a sense of community and caring.  Believe me, even if you just say hi, I’m here and not much else, you will gain more from these wonderful people than you will think you give.

The moral of this confession, is don’t be afraid to post or to ask questions.

Come join our merry band and you will have friends when we are finally on a blue hulled beauty again.

Lenda

WOW — 7 pages!  This must be a first!

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18

Another lurker chiming in although I believe I did post once before. I having been following and enjoying the daily since the start of the cruise pause some 9 1/2  months ago now. Thanks to all who post and especially the efforts of @richwmn and @rafinmd for all their work. Not only have I enjoyed seeing where the ships are but have learned a few things along the way like how to highlight the names and new recipes. The tomato pie that so many posted photos of and the squash and spinach lasagna  were both big hits with DH.

Like many I am enjoying the photos of Antarctica by @StLouisCruiser Antarartica has been on our bucket list and your photos  have inspired us to book this trip once the world rights itself.

Happy New Year to all and may 2021 bring better days as the vaccines rollout. Until then,  we will stay home safe home with the exception of going out for essential shopping.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Forgot to mention, we did not hear any fireworks 💥 last night either.  After thinking about, we don’t remember seeing any for sale.  Normally, the big box store north of us has a ton for sale.  In the past, the 🎆 would start shortly after sunset.  It could be they weren’t for sale because southwest Arizona like southern California is experiencing severe drought conditions.  None of us needs a wildfire now, if ever.  Since March or April, this area has received about 3/100 th of an inch of rain.

On another note, we did not see any live trees 🌲 for sale around here either.  

Lenda

The vast majority of cities here do not allow “Safe and Sane” fireworks. But it isn’t the “Safe and Sane” variety most people use around here: they are the universally illegal ones.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

You are correct of course; the Frenchies liked them so much they had to copy them and put them inside beignets

Here are the flappen

Happy New Year Meneer de Hagenaar!

Appelflappen (Dutch Apple Fritters)

That's more like it..

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Now that my second Antarctica post is approved you can either go back to page 2, post 37 to see it or read it here by expanding the quote above.  Sorry for all the trouble this causes.  I'm not sure what word some person had used in the past to cause this trouble.  

I wonder if leading the Polar Plunge is in the Captain’s job description?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I wonder if leading the Polar Plunge is in the Captain’s job description?

Well I just found out something that puts you on the naughty list.  I mentioned his first name after the word Captain and it hid the post!!  And I thought I had deleted those two words in the post that was not allowed this morning.  Crazy!  His title and name have been used in the past but someone probably said something bad and ruined it for all of us.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Suslor said:

Ok Rich, I’m one of the “lurkers” checking in as requested. Wishing everyone a happy new year and a quick return for all of us for safe cruising. 

Welcome to posting! And “Amen” to both your wishes!

• Like 3

@kazu and  VictOriann, I  too have  those  dishes  and  love  to  see  the  beautiful  food  displays  on  them. My  OCD  forces  me  to line  up  the  plates  so  that  the   flying  birds  are  on  the  top. Yes, I  am  one  of  those.....

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Well that was a short hidden post.  In only five minutes our Host approved it.  You can see that I barely said anything and the software didn't approve.  It was post 158.

Living on the edge😂🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I offer my confession as a lurker although only for the last month.  I am enjoying the photos of your cruises, the recipes, prayer list as well as dinner and drink suggestions.

No hangover for us last evening.  We enjoyed a neighbors generous fireworks display at 8 and then a bit of Netflix.  Dinner tonight will be collards, black eyed peas, pork chops and cornbread.  Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year.

• Like 12

I bought the Goo Gone yesterday and spent a couple of hours this morning cleaning the masking tape residue from our four front-facing windows.  Probably a good thing, as I also used Windex and cleaned them totally, something that was overdue.  We had kind of a different New Year's Eve dinner - Wine Chicken.  A more descriptive title would be steamed game hen with noodles and gin.  Starts with a steamed game hen in water with dried mushrooms, spices, dried plum, onions and carrots with some gin for flavoring.  There is also a bowl of wheat noodles.  And stir fried vegetables with "tree ear" mushrooms.  Add some of the game hen and soup to a bowl of steamed noodles.  Add a shot of Gilbey's Gin and enjoy.  I think it is a recipe that Sara learned in Taiwan.

• Like 14

The "approved" fireworks were cancelled due to the pandemic, but the non-approved ones woke me shortly after mid-night.  I got out of bed to look for them, but could not see them.  The second round came about 2am.  Again, a check out of the window, but I couldn't see them.  The booms and whistles wakened me, but I couldn't see any illuminations.

The traditional New Year's food in my household is ham.  The ham can be with eggs for breakfast then in sandwiches or with green beans and mashed potatoes for dinner.  I had it with the green beans and mashed potatoes this year. 

Compliments ate owed to Rich and Roy for their outstanding work on this thread.  I found it many months ago and it is now part of my daily routine.  If I miss reading it for several days, I will then catch-up.  It is such a "good feeling" thread that it always bring a smile to my face. 

Thanks to everyone who makes this thread so enjoyable.  One day, I hope to meet all of you on a DAM ship!

• Like 14

26 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@kazu and  VictOriann, I  too have  those  dishes  and  love  to  see  the  beautiful  food  displays  on  them. My  OCD  forces  me  to line  up  the  plates  so  that  the   flying  birds  are  on  the  top. Yes, I  am  one  of  those.....

I usually do too - especially if we have company 😉 

You should see the summer party settings.  Everything has to line.  LOL 😄 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Captain Dag probably added it to his job description.  He's always up for some fun!

He is the best 🙂. I loved our get to know your neighbourhood party he did on the Prinsendam.  An officer on every deck.  Just put your glass out and they poured.  It was a lot of fun.

Unfortunately we had done our wine social already so there were a lot of people that came out of my room.   You should have seen the looks 😉
. An officer ran for more sparkly stuff. 😄 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

When I started this thread this morning I really did not expect the response y'all have given. I thought maybe a few of the lurkers might be encouraged to say hello. Well, there have already been 2.4 thousand views (and counting) and this is post 170(?). To say the least the response has been overwhelming. I do want to thank again everyone who posted today, particularly the (former) lurkers. Please say hello whenever you drop it. Everyone has something to contribute.

With any luck the next 90 days will go quickly and we will have a definite idea of when cruises will begin, and I hope to see many of you on upcoming cruises.

(btw -- posting from home)

Rich

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

When I started this thread this morning I really did not expect the response y'all have given. I thought maybe a few of the lurkers might be encouraged to say hello. Well, there have already been 2.4 thousand views (and counting) and this is post 170(?). To say the least the response has been overwhelming. I do want to thank again everyone who posted today, particularly the (former) lurkers. Please say hello whenever you drop it. Everyone has something to contribute.

With any luck the next 90 days will go quickly and we will have a definite idea of when cruises will begin, and I hope to see many of you on upcoming cruises.

Rich

Welcome home Rich. 🙂. I bet your cats were very happy to see you ❤️ 

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, bakcd said:

I offer my confession as a lurker although only for the last month.  I am enjoying the photos of your cruises, the recipes, prayer list as well as dinner and drink suggestions.

No hangover for us last evening.  We enjoyed a neighbors generous fireworks display at 8 and then a bit of Netflix.  Dinner tonight will be collards, black eyed peas, pork chops and cornbread.  Wishing everyone a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Welcome!

• Like 3

It’s great to see all of the lurkers posting today. I’m joining others asking you to join us  everyday or whenever the urge comes to chime in. 

Hope you all had a nice celebration last night and a good start of 2021.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Rich

@rafinmd, how many people can participate in your Zoom meetings?😉  

• Like 3