The Daily for Friday Jan 1, 2021 -- Happy New Year!!!

richwmn

Happy New Year!!!

today is New Years Day and National Hangover Day

One thing the inventors can't seem to get the bugs out of is fresh paint.

Meal suggestion for today - No meal suggestion for today. Many families have a traditional New Years Day meal, what's yours?

Drink of the Day - Bloody Mary

Wine of the day - Château Canon-La Gaffelière St.-Emilion vintage 2015

At Sea Atlantic
Eurodam destination Southampton eta 1/6
Oosterdam destination Southampton eta 1/5

Stirrup Cay Anchoragec
Nieuw Statendam

at Sea Pacific
Koningsdam off San Diego
Nieuw Amsterdam off Los Angeles
Noordam destination Los Angeles eta 1/1
Westerdam off San Diego
Zuiderdam destination Los Angeles eta 1/2

Torquay
Volendam
Zaandam

0101World.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

I would like to thank everyone who makes this thread possible. Each one of you is a part of the success. I hope all the lurkers will check in an let us know who they are, for they are part of it as well.

Here's to a great New Year with cruises restarting as soon as possible.

edited to add --

The Daily gets over a thousand views most days. Yesterday was 2.3 thousand -- as far as I know the most we have had.

Rich

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 34
  • Thanks 3

Happy New Year!  Hope it's a good one.

No hangovers for us.

Our traditional New Year's Eve dinner is take out Chinese food.  I don't know why, but we've been doing it for years. 

I have a small ham I'll cook for dinner tonight with scalloped potatoes and a veg.  Unless we decide just to eat the leftovers from last night, and save the ham until tomorrow.

Have a great day everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 15

Greetings to all! Happy New Year.

After months of opening this thread first thing each morning, I want to say  how much I enjoy the chats, the sayings, prayers and celebrations. What a fun spirit this thread has! 

For today’s meal here in the south, it’s greens, black eyed peas (for the good luck and health) , and DH’s mac and cheese. My mom would gasp in shock if we skipped this meal.

A prediction of storms and a high of 71 for today seem totally wrong.

Healthy wishes to all,

Debbie

• Like 19

Happy  New  Year to  all. Dinner  today  will  be  a  repeat  of  the  successful   lasagna  I  made  DD  and  SIL for Thanksgiving. We  live  side  by  side  in  a  2  family  house  and  have been  each  other's support  for  this  long  last  year. The  wonders  of  technology  will  bring  us  other  family  members later  today. It  was  a  beautiful  sunrise  over  the hills  of  my  city  this  morning  but  the  weather  person  promises  a  "wintry  mix"  for  later.

• Like 17

Happy New Year, Rich and all the other Dailyites.  No hangover for me but I woke for the toilet yesterday morning at 3:30AM and was unable to get back to sleep, and was up until midnight yesterday (lights out 12:02 AM), so today I overslept until after 7.  I love the quote and my alternate meal suggestion is Orange and Avacado Carousel and Caribbean  Jerk Chicken Breast, as served on MS Ryndam January 1, 2015.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

NextOne DH with Renal Cancer

Recovery for Live4Cruises

St. Louis Sal’s and Cruising-along’s friends

mamaofami’s SIL

HAL (and other crews)

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Welcome JazzyV, Durango Sandy, and lynanken

Teachers and school workers, especially StLouisCruiser’s DD

Front Line Health Care Workers

Appliance renewal for Tioga Cruisers

Hearing from Denise

A pretty normal New Years Eve with people out in Auckland

Becky Hammon

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Happy New Year to everyone!!  A big thank you to those who faithfully post this thread every day. 
Our traditional meal today will be ham, black-eye peas, rice, baked sweet potatoes, corn bread, and some green vegetable. 
 Thanks to Covid, no big houseful of company. Just the single lady who lives next door. 

• Like 16

Happy New Year, Rich & my Sisters and fellow Dailyites! May it bring health, happiness & cruising into each of our lives!

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! No hangover for me.  Hope those days are long gone. Great quote! My traditional New Year meal growing up was my Memere’s Tourtiere - Canadian French pork pie. I have yet to find one as good, and she kept her recipe secret. She would not even share it with her daughter. I know she did not use potatoes in hers, but I still have never been able to replicate it. I have never had any other “traditional” meal on New Years. Looking forward to seeing what everyone shares.

I knew if I kept typing, Roy would post - so thank you yet again for keeping our lists, Roy! 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating. Farewell 2020!
Stay well everyone!

This red blend from Bordeaux has superior ratings and an expensive price tag. I found it online for $98.99. Later vintages have excellent ratings & slightly lower prices, but you might need to hold off drinking them for a year or so. But,  it is a certified organic wine - a big deal if you are worried about polluted water and grounds. And it is “youthfully tight”!🤔

#2 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

The wines of Château Canon La Gaffelière have been certified organic. They are classy, remarkably well-structured, complex, pure, and always elegant. Blend: 55% Merlot, 38% Cabernet Franc, 7% Cabernet Sauvignon

WS96 Wine Spectator: Still youthfully tight and backward, with a well-roasted frame of alder and juniper holding sway for now, but the core of cassis, blackberry and plum fruit waits in reserve, showing prodigious depth. When the toast and fruit melds, the backdrop of tobacco, singed iron and chalky minerality will get a turn to show. There’s a lot here. Built for the cellar. Best from 2025 through 2040.

• Like 18

24 minutes ago, doobieb said:

Greetings to all! Happy New Year.

After months of opening this thread first thing each morning, I want to say  how much I enjoy the chats, the sayings, prayers and celebrations. What a fun spirit this thread has! 

For today’s meal here in the south, it’s greens, black eyed peas (for the good luck and health) , and DH’s mac and cheese. My mom would gasp in shock if we skipped this meal.

A prediction of storms and a high of 71 for today seem totally wrong.

Healthy wishes to all,

Debbie

Why hello there & welcome to posting here.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

I would like to thank everyone who makes this thread possible. Each one of you is a part of the success. I hope all the lurkers will check in an let us know who they are, for they are part of it as well.

Here's to a great New Year with cruises restarting as soon as possible.

edited to add --

The Daily gets over a thousand views most days. Yesterday was 2.3 thousand -- as far as I know the most we have had.

Rich

I guess I qualify as a lurker! I like to read, but almost never post because usually I just don't have anything interesting to add. I was the same way back in high school (when dinosaurs roamed the earth). I do really enjoy the threads, and I do appreciate you, your thread, and everyone who does participate with their postings. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Happy and Healthy New Year to Rich, Roy, and all the folks here who post and send pictures.  This daily thread certainly brightens my day.  Thanks.

Best of health and healing to all.

Charles

• Like 17

Good morning and Happy New Year Rich. Thank you for keeping the Daily. You've been a port in a storm for many of us.

I noticed yesterdays post the number of viewers going way up and a few times I was on and we got the "Hot Topic" flag. That is just great. And it is always nice to hear from lurkers! (We know you're out there) 🤭

Happy NEW Year to all my Daily-ite friends, my sisters Ann and Denise, and special friends Roy, summer, Jacqui, Father, Gerry.. Prayers for Roy and brother to come to a better relationship.

I am still stuffed from dinner last night, and no hangover although I should have one.. Today will be a pot of field peas with snaps, ham hocks, jalapeno corn bread, and as Gerry lovingly states.. "Wine"

image.jpeg.31a08800612128d6f787d652d1e37246.jpeg

It was great to hear from you last night Denise. I knew you and David were in Mammoth and you have a deal not to use social media (which is a good thing at times) but we just missed you.. 

Stimulus checks showed up in our account although we don't know why. I think those of us who don't need it should give something to those who do and we think we will.

Love and blessings to our Daily-ites. Toasting (again) tonight for a healthy and happy year.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

I guess I qualify as a lurker! I like to read, but almost never post because usually I just don't have anything interesting to add. I was the same way back in high school (when dinosaurs roamed the earth). I do really enjoy the threads, and I do appreciate you, your thread, and everyone who does participate with their postings. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Welcome to the Daily and Happy New Year 🙂 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

A long time lurker you've moved up last month to an occasional poster.  I appreciate your input.

Roy

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

None of us are the best judge of how interesting our posts are.

Just sharing weather, meal choices & daily activities can spark interest for someone else.

Hope to see more of you.

• Like 15

Thanks for our New Year’s Day Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂

341AA998-2A8A-4658-8BBF-812ABDB219B0.gif.4e5a91bff8ab1b9e8e57399a47709bd3.gif

No hangover today and glad to hear most here don’t have one so far.  The drink of the day goes well for those that are suffering.  Personally, I prefer a good Caesar (with Clamato juice) to a Bloody Mary.  It’s a Canadian thing 😉 

Love the quote and as always, ever so true.

We usually have a ham on New Year’s and I do have a small one but if I can get DH to help me shuck some more oysters, I think a lobster/oyster/seafood chowder is in order.

The oysters were delicious last night.  We started with a simple presentation with Manchego, Iberico, Camembert cheese & chorizo with them

5E21930C-2FD1-49AE-B171-4271A9DE23C0.thumb.jpeg.7eb852bb265457bd4f20f23beaef9809.jpeg

and had some scalloped oysters after.  And Prosecco and wine of course 🙂 

I rarely stay up until midnight on New Year’s Eve but I did last night.  I wanted to make sure I could open the door and kick 2020 out the door

0FC3DA7D-DBDC-414D-9509-084DEEBB4B1C.jpeg.9327dacd2a0db31e531a698527be6b4e.jpeg

and welcome 2021 in.

As hard as 2020 was, it certainly taught us all some things:

B5192547-338D-4E4C-9E59-53A0CFF9D932.jpeg.98855b78f69510513c3026585edc89e3.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a wonderful New Year’s Day everyone however/whenever you celebrate.  Stay safe and please, don’t forget your masks 😷 in 2021.  May 2021 bring you all

716C5383-531D-4AA6-B894-D88C6FB94F1D.jpeg.2a602d916d6be44bcd69a0396454901a.jpeg

• Like 30

1 minute ago, BobbiSox said:

This is just awesome! I love this sort of thing. I've always been a fan of monsters. You made my day! 

My work is done!  See we have a mutual admiration of fake monsters in common. 

We are fairly close geographically, so I may just have to refer to you as “neighbor”.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

@kazu, you and I have a different definition of “a simple presentation”. Go take a look of my simple pic of my wine glass that I posted to yesterday’s Daily last night.  

And please do not think the wine glass reflects my idea of simple. It was a gift, and I also shared that picture with the person who gave it to me. 

I love the pic of your & Jose’s meal. Glad you shared it. Happy New Year!

• Like 11