Hal extends stoppage

KirkNC

29 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

I'm sorry about that.  I had two cancelled cruises so decided to wait until cruises actually start again before I book a cruise.  Hope to see you on the ships again...

4 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you Leon, and we can't wait to cruise with you and Jenny again. 🙂 

count me in whenever it happens

• Like 2

At the end of the day they may lose less by not resuming prematurely.

Too much risk of more bad PR if cases slip onboard, too many restrictions from CDC and other regulators leading to an unpalatable onboard experience, etc.

Better to wait it out and return to service after vaccines start to kick in.

• Like 3

Well careful what you wish for!  I yesterday wished HAL would let us know before final payment, today it’s cancelled!  I’ve lost track of how many cruises and trips we’ve cancelled.   We booked this well before Covid.   Hopefully 2022 will be better! 

I don’t really like the comment about the inaugural Rotterdam next in line, but agree that wouldn’t surprise me either.   That’s our next out.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

We were going to cancel our April 24 cruise in the next few weeks (before final payment) because there was no way this cruise was going to happen.  Thankful HAL did it for us, we're just moving the extra $$ on to our late fall cruise.  Fourth cancellation for us, and we have 4 future bookings....

I had thought the same, but in re-reading the email, I noticed it said the FCC could (only??) be applied to the fare of a new cruise.  

I haven’t been notified yet but I am only rolling the same $300 FCD that I bought in 2019.  I figure initially I was willing to let them have that money until 2023 so no pain here. I now have my mac’s desktop littered with folders for cruise plans now held for another day.  C’est la vie. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I had thought the same, but in re-reading the email, I noticed it said the FCC could (only??) be applied to the fare of a new cruise.  

I had always thought it could only be applied to new cruises also, then @richwmn(who shares the same PCC) told me he was able to apply it to his next cruise.  So DH contacted our PCC who said he will apply it to our Sept. cruise.  I will come back with a correction if that indeed doesn't happen.

• Like 1

If you click on "Plan" on the HAL Homepage, there is an option to choose Future Cruise Credit.

The answer to the first FAQ:

Yes, FCCs can be applied to an existing booking. Please contact your Travel Advisor or your local Holland America Line reservations Call Center for assistance.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 2

I'm upset that my 11th cruise was cancelled in the last year. HAL cancelled my Eurodam Alaska cruise that leaves from Seattle on May 22 but did not cancel the Konningsdam Alaska cruise that leaves from Seattle on May 22.

Their timing is certainly well planned. They had cruises on sale with many amenities including free gratitudes and a free inside cabin for your friends or family when you book a balcony and the sale ended yesterday and today they cancel a bunch of cruises. I look forward to them cancelling a lot more cruises when their next sale ends.

They will give me 125% cruise credit but their next similar cruise on the Eurodam is 175% more.

8 hours ago, 510picker said:

I got the email saying our August New England cruise was cancelled.

Yep, we got the email that our Canada/New England cruise was cancelled too. I kind of figured it was coming, but it's still a huge disappointment. Our last cruise was in January 2018 and I haven't seen my family since then. I was really looking forward to the reunion, even if we had to stay on board the whole time and just look at the beautiful scenery off the deck.

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

Well careful what you wish for!  I yesterday wished HAL would let us know before final payment, today it’s cancelled!  I’ve lost track of how many cruises and trips we’ve cancelled.   We booked this well before Covid.   Hopefully 2022 will be better! 

I don’t really like the comment about the inaugural Rotterdam next in line, but agree that wouldn’t surprise me either.   That’s our next out.  

My final payment was due in March, and I had decided not to think about it until February and then I got the email after seeing the Facebook post. I am not surprised, but still very disappointed. I'm really ready for a cruise!

9 hours ago, ellieanne said:

Yep, we got the email that our Canada/New England cruise was cancelled too. I kind of figured it was coming, but it's still a huge disappointment. Our last cruise was in January 2018 and I haven't seen my family since then. I was really looking forward to the reunion, even if we had to stay on board the whole time and just look at the beautiful scenery off the deck.

Not only did they cancel our Canada/NE cruise in July but HAL does not now offer ANY Can/NE cruises in 2022!! I may look at other cruise lines now as flying anywhere is out of the question.

11 minutes ago, semibeater said:

Not only did they cancel our Canada/NE cruise in July but HAL does not now offer ANY Can/NE cruises in 2022!! I may look at other cruise lines now as flying anywhere is out of the question.

That may change over time as I don’t believe the 2022 schedule is complete.

• Like 1

Curious about those that are booking and cancelling numerous times. Do you have air, hotel, and transfers to cancel each time as well? It was difficult enough to obtain refunds for our March 2020 to not want to go through that again. It appears that we will/might have our vaccinations ( Canadians ) by the end of this year. Looking at Spring of 2022 for a cruise but will probably wait until we actually receive our vaccination before booking. Patiently waiting.

Our April 11th cruise has been cancelled, but not surprised. I've sort of lost track of how many Holland and Carnival cruises we've had cancelled since last March. We do have an 11 day Rotterdam cruise booked for Dec. 1, 2021 so are hopeful it will sail. Will use our cancelled April Future Cruise Credit to upgrade to a Suite on the Rotterdam. DH and I had our first Moderna vaccine shot this week with the second shot coming on Feb. 1st. Hope Holland and Carnival make vaccination proof a requirement to sail in Dec.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Our cruise was cancelled, Alaska, sea and land.  They are doubling the FCC once again, I have to laugh, if I ever go on a cruise it will be free except the first $300 I paid in 2019

They doubled our FCD but not our FCC.  

6 hours ago, bajakiter said:

Curious about those that are booking and cancelling numerous times. Do you have air, hotel, and transfers to cancel each time as well? It was difficult enough to obtain refunds for our March 2020 to not want to go through that again. It appears that we will/might have our vaccinations ( Canadians ) by the end of this year. Looking at Spring of 2022 for a cruise but will probably wait until we actually receive our vaccination before booking. Patiently waiting.

We cancelled our hotel reservations, no problem.  We only book that kind of reservation now!  For flights, we had not yet booked, but the plan was to use HAL's Flight Ease, so cancellation would have been easy, and covered by our HAL insurance.

@Mary229, only the  deposit was doubled, the base fare will be given back as a 125%  FCC.

53 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We cancelled our hotel reservations, no problem.  We only book that kind of reservation now!  For flights, we had not yet booked, but the plan was to use HAL's Flight Ease, so cancellation would have been easy, and covered by our HAL insurance.

@Mary229, only the  deposit was doubled, the base fare will be given back as a 125%  FCC.

I only have a deposit.  I started with a $300 FCD and before this cancellation I had a $600 FCC, we will see what I get from this most recent cancellation.   It is sort of weird, the first cruise was only the $300 FCC, the second cruise was more deposit required, around $1200, but they accepted only the $600 FCC.   

Edited by Mary229

On 1/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, ski ww said:

This is one of the reasons we are not booking anything until summer 2022 Just had a feeling things would not be back to normal for the 2021 season.

Summer 2022.  If I wait that long it would be three years that I've been on land!!!  No, No, No. I'm going crazy now and not being able to do my annual January trip to Florida on the Gulf coast.....  Oh the insanity of it all.

Princess also pulled the plug same as HAL . I feel very sorry for tall the travel agents that have been cancelling & rebooking &  then hacing to candell all over again . Wow what a Merry GoRound  . more  pain   

What about the crews standing by  .Holy molly   are they still  waiting or have the gotten other employment or training to be a call center off shore ?  This is real suffering  imo 

5 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Summer 2022.  If I wait that long it would be three years that I've been on land!!!  No, No, No. I'm going crazy now and not being able to do my annual January trip to Florida on the Gulf coast.....  Oh the insanity of it all.

Come on, Sue, things could be a lot worse.  You could go to Vancouver Island for a nice visit by the ocean.  Sure, it’s not the same as a cruise or in the warmer climates I think you like, but it’s well within the current restrictions.  And you would not have to quarantine on arrival like you might have to in the Maritimes (I haven’t kept up with the rules for the Atlantic bubble).

• Like 1