Since we can't cruise right now, let's time-travel back to 1984 and see what cruising on the Royal Princess was like

CineGraphic

The copyright date at the end of the video is 1995, which is why Grand Princess would be mentioned.

Thank you for sharing this video clip link!! I kinda wish Princess still did something like this but this was done before Princess became a part of Carnival Corp.

Did y’all notice all the bucket chairs in the Continental dining room?!? They sure were crowded up around the tables.

Glad to see the chocolates remain the same!

Royal was a lovely ship...just wish I could have sailed on Royal when she sailed the Amazon! 

23 minutes ago, gotta cruise again said:

The copyright date at the end of the video is 1995, which is why Grand Princess would be mentioned.

I was only going by the date in the title provided by whoever uploaded the video on Youtube.

Thanks for the correction.

28 minutes ago, gotta cruise again said:

Royal was a lovely ship...just wish I could have sailed on Royal when she sailed the Amazon! 

The original Royal Princess is my favorite ship. We cruised on her a couple of times, including on her penultimate voyage from Manaus to Rome. 

Very nice. The 1984 Royal Princess was the first ship built specifically by Princess. Previous ships were part of other lines which became part of Princess or were purchased from other cruise lines. The 1984 Royal sailed in the Princess fleet until 2005, and was then transferred to P&O. This video must have been produced somewhere in 1997/98 as it mentions the soon to come Grand Princess, launched May 1998.

13 hours ago, Denali2003 said:

Thank you for sharing.  This was amazing to watch!  We were on the Royal in 2010 (identical to the Ocean Princess)

This was an "R" class ship with just under 700 passengers (Royal Princess No. II). It was a sister ship to today's Pacific Princess. The ship is no longer in the Princess fleet. Nice ship, but not the same one as in the video. 

Thanks for reminding us of days gone by. Very enjoyable video. I used to have a VHS of Celebrity’s Zenith from when she was brand new un the early 90s, but it got tossed with our VCR, lol. Cruising has changed so much since then; sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

The old Crowne Princess was spectacular in many ways.  The movie theatre was awesome, as were many of her other features.  But the one we enjoyed more than any was the swim up bar where the pool water flowed over the rear edge as a waterfall into the pool below.  We spent many hours sitting on the submerged bar stools watching the world go by.

On 1/9/2021 at 4:55 PM, RLK33853 said:

The old Crowne Princess was spectacular in many ways.  The movie theatre was awesome, as were many of her other features.  But the one we enjoyed more than any was the swim up bar where the pool water flowed over the rear edge as a waterfall into the pool below.  We spent many hours sitting on the submerged bar stools watching the world go by.

Same swim-up bar on the original Regal Princess.

011 4.23.06 2nd passenger pool, Wave's poolside bar, deck 12 P4230167.JPG