How bad is cabin vibration on Coral Princess Dolphin aft cabins?

puppymama1

We are thinking about moving our June 5 Alaska cruise booking to August 4.. in the hope that it might actually happen since early June is looking doubtful right now.  We are currently booked in D710 since we wanted a mini suite with a covered balcony.  The only available port side cabins on the August 4 sailing are further back - D716, D718, etc...  I read an old 2006 posting about issues of vibration in those cabins.. Anyone know if that is still the case?  Trying to decide whether to stay with a mini suite in that location, or possibly downgrade to a balcony closer to mid ship... Or switch to the Grand Princess from the Coral for August 14.. but the only port side cabins are on Dolphin deck which means the balconies are uncovered....  (I am probably spending way too much time trying to figure this out and none of these cruises will actually happen this year! )  Thanks!

We have never sailed Coral Princess on Dolphin deck but have sailed twice in B731 which is all the way aft. Granted it is a full 2 decks higher so not a true comparison but we have never had any vibration issues at all. Being 2 decks closer to the engine and props may well increase the vibration. However, the only time we did sail in a cabin with noticeable vibration was higher up - an aft-facing balcony on Grand Princess. We had quite noticeable vibrations there but it didn't bother us in the slightest.

I'm guessing someone will chime in here with experience sailing in this area of Dolphin deck. Hopefully your cruise will actually happen . We were booked for Alaska in September 2021 but the cruise was cancelled. In our case they said the cancellation was due to redeployment of the ship so you may get lucky.

We sailed to Alaska on Coral in 2017 in vista suite D704, which is just a few cabins forward from D710. Neither hubby nor myself recall any significant vibration in our suite (certainly nothing compared to being all the way aft on Crown a few years ago, where the vibration on docking  was so bad that I thought the glasses on our bar setup were going to shatter as they clinked together!)

I have never found a vibration issue on aft cabins on any ship including the Coral and we usually book on Dolphin or Caribe decks.  I am not holding on to hopes of any Alaskan cruise this year. I have cruises booked for the August time frame but have already booked 2022 as a backup 

39 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

We sailed to Alaska on Coral in 2017 in vista suite D704, which is just a few cabins forward from D710. Neither hubby nor myself recall any significant vibration in our suite (certainly nothing compared to being all the way aft on Crown a few years ago, where the vibration on docking  was so bad that I thought the glasses on our bar setup were going to shatter as they clinked together!)

We are booked in E731 on crown for next year on a British isles cruise... I picked that cabin because of the larger covered balcony but am thinking about changing that now!

Lots of people like the aft cabins but not worth the bet for me.  I hate the vibrations from the engines/ propellers or whatever, but it always seems to happen in the rear 3rd of the ship.  I won't book any cabin in the rear third of any ship.  Perhaps you should also consider that if you are sensitive to vibrations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, puppymama1 said:

We are booked in E731 on crown for next year on a British isles cruise... I picked that cabin because of the larger covered balcony but am thinking about changing that now!

It was brutal! That was the second time we booked an aft suite on Crown...never again. I've never experienced vibrations like that on any other ship/cruise line. The cabin rattled when leaving the dock, too, but compared to the noise and vibration when we were docking, that was a walk in the park. 

Sailed in d714 on the Coral 3 times.  Experienced very little vibration - usually only when side thrusters were working.  My understanding is the Island  (following her redesign) has much stronger vibration issues.

Since the 2006 post you mention. There have been at least two dry docks. One in '09 and most recently in Jan of '19. Perhaps more. Seems to me they would check and service both propellers as part of dry dock. Cavitation and vibration would cause excessive wear and inefficiency.  Somewhere online, what is serviced is posted, but I couldn't find it. 

20 hours ago, memoak said:

Also look out for forward cabins way up front. The noise of that anchor being released can be an issue unless you are a very early riser 

We had an inside cabin all the way forward on Caribe deck when we did a short sailing on Ruby Princess one time. We were booked for a 19 day Partial Canal Transit and just tacked on a 5 day California Coastal before it to have more cruise time. We woke up to the sound of a freight train roaring through the cabin. It was amazing! When we figured out it was the anchor chain being released we just laughed about it and went back to sleep. We had no idea it could be so loud.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

We had an inside cabin all the way forward on Caribe deck when we did a short sailing on Ruby Princess one time. We were booked for a 19 day Partial Canal Transit and just tacked on a 5 day California Coastal before it to have more cruise time. We woke up to the sound of a freight train roaring through the cabin. It was amazing! When we figured out it was the anchor chain being released we just laughed about it and went back to sleep. We had no idea it could be so loud.

Amen my brother. 

We were in E736 because it was the closest we could get to aft (there are no true aft balconies

on the Coral).

The Universe Lounge was below us and never bothered us. I do not

recall any disturbing rumbling and would definitely book it again.

However, we are not really disturbed by anchor or engine noises.

To the OP: this Emerald balcony was fully covered and we would book it again.

You might be confused by her sister ship - the Island.   She has more cabins added to her stern.  We were on the first cruise after the dry dock and had constant vibration for 5 weeks on our b2b.    We were in a stern corner penthouse suite.  But I have not heard any chatter about the vibration for over a year so hopefully the problem was found and corrected.  Hope so, we have a stern suite in the fall and I am keeping my fingers crossed that there are no issues and that it will sail!   

On 1/24/2021 at 3:50 PM, puppymama1 said:

Not sure if E731 on the Crown is the same as on the Caribbean Princess, but we have had E731 on the CB twice.  Loved the larger covered balcony.  Vibration usually is limited to docking maneuvers coming into or leaving port.  My wife and I will always book E731 on the CB if available.  We had the family suite on the Crown in 2018 on the port side. Same vibrations coming in and out of port.  This suite is all the way up front.  You can see the photos of the couple having a Balcony Dinner on the Princess website. (FYI, when under sail, you can't enjoy the balcony due to the 20 plus knots of wind) 

9 hours ago, eagletwo said:

Not sure if E731 on the Crown is the same as on the Caribbean Princess, but we have had E731 on the CB twice.  Loved the larger covered balcony.  Vibration usually is limited to docking maneuvers coming into or leaving port.  My wife and I will always book E731 on the CB if available.  We had the family suite on the Crown in 2018 on the port side. Same vibrations coming in and out of port.  This suite is all the way up front.  You can see the photos of the couple having a Balcony Dinner on the Princess website. (FYI, when under sail, you can't enjoy the balcony due to the 20 plus knots of wind) 

I hope you are referring to the forward balcony and not E731 when you say you can’t enjoy the balcony when moving due to the wind?  We enjoy being outside on the balcony both while in port and sailing... 

We had one aft balcony cabin on a cruise ship and one aft inside room on a ship - never again. While it the aft balcony wasn't on a Princess ship, it was annoying enough that we avoid all aft cabins now like the plague. The balcony aft cabin (Independence of the Seas) was great for the size of the balcony but every time the ship would enter a port (typically early in the morning) the vibration was so bad your brains felt like scrambled eggs. On the Regal Princess we had an aft inside cabin and for the first 3 nights the room would shake every 5-10 minutes. Think how hard it would be to sleep if every 5-10 minutes someone shook your bed violently. Granted, they were heading into a headwind but still, we learned our lesson. WE now book all our cabins as close to the middle of the ship as possible.

Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 1

We have E737 on the island Princess booked for the westbound transatlantic in November. It’s the last balcony on the starboard side, but I’m not concerned about vibration. We live about 25 miles from SpaceX testing in Texas and our house rattles several times a day. 

• Like 1