Government of Canada announces one-year ban for pleasure craft and cruise vessels

YXU AC*SE

3 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

The US flagged cruise lines might still be an option too. American Cruise Lines gets some pretty good reviews. They’re pricey though. 

I believe (don't quote me though) that ACL and similarly sized ships (100 or less pax) are exempt.

25 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

What’s the point of the vac then?  This entire experience is so nuts.

That's what happens when you listen to Facebook Doctors and Twitter scientists!!! 😆

Alternatively, you could buy a subscription to the New York Times or Scientific American. Happy Reading! 🙄

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

Countries do this all the time.  Despite what everyone on here seems to think, I definitely think it’s possible.  

No, it isn't.  Name one time that Canada has done something like that to the US.

L.

• Like 1

Just now, HappyInVan said:

That's what happens when you listen to Facebook Doctors and Twitter scientists!!! 😆

Alternatively, you could buy a subscription to the New York Times or Scientific American. Happy Reading! 🙄

The point of the vaccine is to stop YOU from getting it.

L.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

The so-called maritime boundaries and EEZ have been disputed for years.  As for actually going to SP&M there would likely be more issues than simply transiting ‘Canadian waters’.  Can you imagine the hassle of getting the permission of France for a cruise ship to visit, many of the pax don’t even own a passport?

Especially that French Polynesia and the French Caribbean islands are now closed to all tourists so I doubt SP&M would be open to cruise ships.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Cruise ships have stopped there before.  Including HAL.  If you are going to the U.S or Canada on the typical cruise you need your passport.  I don’t see a hassle to have a passport. 

You can’t do a New England/Canada cruise without it to my knowledge.

You and I need a passport for a typical cruise.  US cruisers on a closed-loop cruise out of a US port don’t; that would be different for a closed-loop to SPetM.

1 minute ago, kevingastreich said:

Obviously the cruise lines will need to get creative with itineraries. Alaska cruises with a stop in Russian waters? New England cruises with a stop in Iceland or Greenland? Etc. Things change, its time to adapt or die.

Not doable within 7 days which is the CDC’s constraint on cruises that touch US ports through November 1st.

6 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Of course it is. Itineraries will need to be adjusted.  So will speeds, 

I’m thinking that technically you’re correct but I suspect the itinerary for that Alaska cruise won’t be too attractive to most people.

46 minutes ago, kazu said:

Boy you have a short memory.  We are your neighbour and the best friends you had.  Totally disgusted with this post

Me too @kazu, I just added another person to my Ignored Poster list.  This pandemic has really made my listing grow.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Obviously the cruise lines will need to get creative with itineraries. Alaska cruises with a stop in Russian waters? ...  Things change, its time to adapt or die.

16 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

They can't just go to Russian waters.  They have to port and debark passengers.  Do you know how far the nearest Russian cruise port is?  These are cruise ships, not Concorde jets.  

The 2021 AK cruise season on anything other than a US line is toast.  Period.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cafedumonde said:

Countries do this all the time.  Despite what everyone on here seems to think, I definitely think it’s possible.  

Honest to God, do people even think before they post crap like this?  Who do you think this harms? Cruises run out of Vancouver. We lose the pre/post cruise revenue and the jobs. Seattle cruises hit Victoria.  Most of Canadians outside of Alberta couldn’t give a toss about Keystone.  We have taken this pandemic seriously since the start. If the US had, we might not be shutting down Alaskan cruises. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Sorry but disagree.  Example:  It took us 6 days to sail from Petropavlovsk to Vancouver.  He did have to slow us down a bit for fog and snow a few times but even if it took 4 days one way with the pedal to the metal - times 2 (roundtrip) - that's 8 days and of course longer than the 7 day length cruises are allowed by the CDC until the beginning of November.  And, oh wait!  No time to visit Alaska.  

See ya in 2022.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

The US flagged cruise lines might still be an option too. American Cruise Lines gets some pretty good reviews. They’re pricey though. 

Yep, they can certainly handle a few passengers per year.  Only costs $800+ per passenger day.

Hank

24 minutes ago, leerathje said:

There is a difference between a tariff and shutting down a whole industry in our country.   Try again.

You didn't set the criteria of shutting down an entire industry only tit for tat reaction on the part of the Canadian government to an action taken by the US government.

Though some tariffs have come close.

There are a fair number of tit for tat diplomatic actions on both side over the past 100 years or so.

Edited by nocl

4 minutes ago, nocl said:

You didn't set the criteria of shutting down an entire industry only tit for that reactions

There are a fair number of tit for tat diplomatic actions on both side over the past 100 years or so.

Ummm let’s look over the past 4 years.  Who instituted tariffs???

It’s time to come together - not to cast blame. What’s being done is for safety and health.  The last thing the Government needs is more flack for losing more jobs - trust me.  They have enough flack on the lack of vaccine  as they well should.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Or maybe they are not.  There are a lot of doctors who disagree with all of this.  But they are generally silenced.

Please stop with the "they are being silenced" crap. No one is being silenced. In fact, there are way too many crackpots out there spouting their twisted conspiracy theories. True science gets ignored.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, nocl said:

You didn't set the criteria of shutting down an entire industry only tit for tat reaction on the part of the Canadian government to an action taken by the US government.

There are two men named Michael that are in prison in China, because we are holding the Chief Financial Officer of Huawei at the request of the US. We are supporting your request.

We allowed US citizens to transit through to Alaska by boat and car.

There are MANY Canadians that are thrilled KXL is cancelled. 

Give your head a shake!

Uninformed comments and attitude like this is why I left CC last spring!

L.

• Like 12