COVID on Mardi Gras

NewKansasKruiser

To be fair, there are different reasons a ship can be red, including having received a transfer from a ship with a possible case or failing to quarantine crew who arrived via land, etc.

I hope it is not the case that someone is actually ill.

Red Ship Criteria

• One or more cases of confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like Illness within the past 28 days, or
  • Ship received ship-to-ship transfers from a ship that had confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like illness within the 28 days before the transfer occurred, or
  • If land-based crew embarked, they were not immediately quarantined for 14 days upon embarking the ship, or
  • During the past 28 days, the ship missed one or more weekly submission of the EDC form.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NewKansasKruiser said:

How in the world will we ever be able to cruise again if they can't keep the COVID off of boats with only minimal crew on them!?!  The Mardi Gras and Pride currently are having problems.  This stinks! 

Crew Disembarkations through Commercial Travel | CDC

The Mardi Gras haven’t even touched US waters. She’s still in Spain. I’m assuming Carnival hasn’t finalized a date for it to do so. Among other factors, they  most likely haven’t even submitted the required paperwork to the CDC in order for it to be considered “green”. Hopefully she will soon. 

• Like 3

There is another way to look at this.  If there are 500 crew members and 3 with the virus then that equals .006 percent.  That's a much lower percentage than if they lived on shore.  You might be better off sailing.  

I know I am exaggerating but it is food for thought.  Now if I could only get the vaccine.

10 hours ago, NewKansasKruiser said:

How in the world will we ever be able to cruise again if they can't keep the COVID off of boats with only minimal crew on them!?!  The Mardi Gras and Pride currently are having problems.  This stinks! 

Crew Disembarkations through Commercial Travel | CDC

First criteria is paperwork submission. Chances are that is not a virus issue but a paperwork clearance issue.

Criteria for Commercial Transport of Crew

Ships that request the use of commercial travel for disembarking crew members will need to meet the following criteria:

• A COVID-19 response plan that is complete and accurate.
    • This does not mean ships are allowed to resume passenger travel, but rather that they have met CDC’s requirements to provide a safe environment for crew members to work and to disembark crew safely by noncommercial travel.
    • Cruise company officials must sign an acknowledgment of the completeness and accuracy of their response plan.

There are dozens of reasons OTHER than active COVID that could cause a ship to be red, up to and including embarkation of new staff. Spreading assumed, misinformation and paranoia will not get us back to cruising any sooner, if not delay it further. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richfret said:

There is another way to look at this.  If there are 500 crew members and 3 with the virus then that equals .006 percent.  That's a much lower percentage than if they lived on shore.  You might be better off sailing.  

I know I am exaggerating but it is food for thought.  Now if I could only get the vaccine.

3/500 = 0.006, or 0.6%.  Not 0.006%

Just thought I'd make sure we got the numbers right.

Has Mardi Gras ever been Green?  As suggested, maybe paperwork hasn't been submitted yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richfret said:

Oh...I'd LOVE to take my chances on a ship given the chance!  I'd wear my mask, get my vaccine and enjoy my balcony!  But...if the example you give of 3 with the virus on the ship, given the close quarters and shared areas of a ship, that 3 would turn very quickly into hundreds, so I doubt the CDC will let cruising begin anytime soon.  I am READY as soon as they let us!  We have 2 booked right now and hoping for no more cancellations.  I still believe in cruising and Carnival!   I should get the vaccine next week (by looking at the amount they are giving weekly and my number....I am about 240 away and they do 300 a week!).  Hopefully you get yours soon!

19 minutes ago, stellarose said:

mardi gras has not been in US waters so she can't apply for "green " status. 

Also, could be that because of delayed sailing in 2021, the ship hasn't applied for status.  COVID in Spain is at a very high level so that could be an issue. 

Red Status on this page does not indicate a ship is having problems. It means the cruise line has not completed all the requirements to make it green, which grants the ship the ability to transfer crew using commercial transportation (airlines.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stellarose said:

mardi gras has not been in US waters so she can't apply for "green " status. 

This is not correct.  A ship, anywhere in the world, that intends to operate in US waters can apply for the clearance.  I'm not aware of how long the Mardi Gras has been on the list, or whether its status has changed during that time.  If it is newly on the list, then likely she has not submitted the health forms for the 28 days, so is automatically red.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Red Status on this page does not indicate a ship is having problems. It means the cruise line has not completed all the requirements to make it green, which grants the ship the ability to transfer crew using commercial transportation (airlines.)

It went from green to red, so it did have everything in order.   I had read the reasons it "could" be red but it tends to make me think it isn't paperwork related because of the change in status.  

On 2/11/2021 at 8:12 AM, tm_aw_love said:

There are dozens of reasons OTHER than active COVID that could cause a ship to be red, up to and including embarkation of new staff. Spreading assumed, misinformation and paranoia will not get us back to cruising any sooner, if not delay it further. 

Exactly!!!