Christine Duffy new video

kdr69

Interesting , vaccines in people arms in less than a year is changing their approach . could be wait until many are vaccinated and perhaps costly measure will not be necessary.

Looks like it’s starting anytime soon .. but it’s exciting cause it’s the beginning of the end with this virus crapola , can’t wait to start traveling again !

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stellarose said:

I am fully vaccinated and DH needs one more.  I am more worried about my two young adult children who are doing the winter cruise with us.  19 and 17- can they get a shot?  will they need a shot to cruise?  the trip is for the 17 year old. 

Pfizer is approved for 16+ year olds, however most states are running through criteria to get the most vulnerable vaccinated first so healthy teens may have to wait a bit still.  I'm not sure of the age on the new J&J vaccine.  Moderna is testing supposedly from ages 12+ right now.

14 hours ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

The 2020-21 influenza season has been a record low.  Did it have anything to do with masks?  Of course not.

Signed,

Flat-Earth Frank

We don't wear masks and our influenza has disappeared as well.  You'll have to keep searching for explanations.

Signed,

Sweden

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

We don't wear masks and our influenza has disappeared as well.  You'll have to keep searching for explanations.

Signed,

Sweden

The significant suppression of international air travel and the mild protections taken while flying have undoubtedly had an impact on the spread of the flu - it usually starts in the "Far East" and travels to the western hemisphere to spread locally there.  If there aren't as many carriers in the first place, it should help keep the numbers low.

Also, general social distancing, whether via masks or other methods, will keep it in check.

So every little measure helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The significant suppression of international air travel and the mild protections taken while flying have undoubtedly had an impact on the spread of the flu - it usually starts in the "Far East" and travels to the western hemisphere to spread locally there.  If there aren't as many carriers in the first place, it should help keep the numbers low.

Also, general social distancing, whether via masks or other methods, will keep it in check.

So every little measure helps.

Last summer my lawn was nice and green despite a drought.  I think it might be due to my irrigation system. 

But I also performed a rain dance every day, because every little measure helps.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jfunk138 said:

Last summer my lawn was nice and green despite a drought.  I think it might be due to my irrigation system. 

But I also performed a rain dance every day, because every little measure helps.

???

3 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

Signed,

Sweden

Perhaps more hand washing, social distancing, general awareness of avoiding infection? In any event, my understanding is covid is on the rise in Sweden and mask skepticism is fading.

3 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

I think it is the garden gnome and unicorn fertilizer.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Perhaps more hand washing, social distancing, general awareness of avoiding infection? In any event, my understanding is covid is on the rise in Sweden and mask skepticism is fading.

I'm with you on hand washing and distancing, Sweden is doing all of those interventions except masks.

I don't think there is any evidence of mask skepticism fading in Sweden.  Just last week there were news article claiming towns in Sweden had banned masks in their schools:

https://theconversation.com/covid-why-are-swedish-towns-banning-masks-153681

4 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

I'm with you on hand washing and distancing, Sweden is doing all of those interventions except masks.

I don't think there is any evidence of mask skepticism fading in Sweden.  Just last week there were news article claiming towns in Sweden had banned masks in their schools:

https://theconversation.com/covid-why-are-swedish-towns-banning-masks-153681

Did you read your article? The municipality backed down.

https://news.yahoo.com/sweden-readies-measures-covid-19-150344280.html

"Several of Sweden's largest regions, including Stockholm on Tuesday, have also taken steps, such as recommending the use of masks in shops, workplaces and public transport. This is at odds with the health agency's past reluctance to broadly endorse such moves because of limited evidence of their efficacy."

• Like 1

Just now, BlerkOne said:

Did you read your article? The municipality backed down.

https://news.yahoo.com/sweden-readies-measures-covid-19-150344280.html

"Several of Sweden's largest regions, including Stockholm on Tuesday, have also taken steps, such as recommending the use of masks in shops, workplaces and public transport. This is at odds with the health agency's past reluctance to broadly endorse such moves because of limited evidence of their efficacy."

I did read it.  "The municipality eventually backed down. But new examples of mask bans keep popping up in Sweden. Librarians in the affluent town of Kungsbacka, for example, have been instructed not to wear masks."

This doesn't sound like "mask skepticism fading" to me?  

"It is perhaps unsurprising, then, that compliance has been low, with only half of commuters actually wearing masks during rush hour.

And it’s not just the general public. Two weeks after the recommendation was introduced, the director of Sweden’s public health agency, Johan Carlson, was spotted without a mask on a bus during rush hour. "

Regardless... if the recent recommendation in Sweden is "recommend to wear a mask on public transit during rush hour" it seems unlikely to explain how flu has disappeared since March 2020.

9 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

I did read it.  "The municipality eventually backed down. But new examples of mask bans keep popping up in Sweden. Librarians in the affluent town of Kungsbacka, for example, have been instructed not to wear masks."

This doesn't sound like "mask skepticism fading" to me?  

"It is perhaps unsurprising, then, that compliance has been low, with only half of commuters actually wearing masks during rush hour.

And it’s not just the general public. Two weeks after the recommendation was introduced, the director of Sweden’s public health agency, Johan Carlson, was spotted without a mask on a bus during rush hour. "

Regardless... if the recent recommendation in Sweden is "recommend to wear a mask on public transit during rush hour" it seems unlikely to explain how flu has disappeared since March 2020.

Never underestimate the power of personal hygiene and social distancing. Many think covid is more contagious than flu, so it makes sense that whatever physical interventions work to mitigate covid, should also be effective against flu and perhaps more so.

A problem is, of course, it is hard to mandate frequent hand washing.

But don't worry - I suspect flu will make a comeback as people become complacent with interventions.

@jfunk138

Not sure why you feel the need to take this tangent 5 steps further.  It is common sense that the transmission of any contagious viruses are lessened by distancing, hand washing and yes, those funny things we put on our face...not as a political symbol...but yeah, maybe as a sign of respect and hope that we can all cruise soon by following some basic guidelines.

My non-existent infectious disease experience  is as good as yours.  So my opinion means as much as yours.  If this makes no sense to you, please ignore me and I will do the same.  Thanks 

On 2/25/2021 at 6:11 PM, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

The 2020-21 influenza season has been a record low.  Did it have anything to do with masks?  Of course not.

Signed,

Flat-Earth Frank

20 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

Signed,

Sweden

The influenza rate was at a record low because of the quarantines.  People weren't around each other to pass it back and forth.  Kids weren't in school to catch it and bring it home.  People were working from home and not going out in public.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

The influenza rate was at a record low because of the quarantines.  People weren't around each other to pass it back and forth.  Kids weren't in school to catch it and bring it home.  People were working from home and not going out in public.

All true. But also the precautions taken against Covid such as mask wearing and frequent hand washing also helped.

Plus, I have no cite but remember reading, the percentage taking the flu vaccine increased after Covid.

• Like 1

I liked her message. No hyperbole, no fluff, just what they know and don't know. My take on the test cruises is that the ship has sailed and the vaccines are the direction the CDC will take. No matter my opinion, what the direction is is what it will be. I hope that direction is with enough common sense that anyone that can get the vaccine is required to be vaccinated. Those that are not permitted to have the vaccine are required to go through some rigorous testing that we are all going through now (temp checks, negative covid test, and agreement to the same onboard during the cruise). If that is not the case, Carnival and others will have to remove the "Family" part from all advertisement and change it to the "Adult Only" cruise line until they allow families to sail.