Power cords / USB cords.... etc.

VegasVic14

Information on what is now acceptable on RCI ships (scheduled for Mariner, July 2022) is scattered and searching gets mixed results on what is deemed "surge protection device" or whether or not a cord of any type is allowed.

Would this pass inspection and be allowed?

rci.PNG

Based on the description of that device on Amazon below, (no surge protection) I would say it is acceptable.  (but I don't get the final say at the pier during boarding)  😉   We used something similar (sans the 110 outlets) and had no issues.

About this item

• 【CHARGE FOR ALL】- 3AC outlets and 4 smart USB ports desktop power outlet charge for electric devices, It support 7 electric devices simultaneously, like cell phones, iPad, laptops, lamp,cameras and many other devices.
  • 【FAST & SMART CHARGING】- 4 USB charging ports total 4.5A. Build in smart charging technology, This charging station can auto-detect your devices and seek to maximize the fastest possible charge speed( 5V/2.4 Max Each Port ).
  • 【Cruise Ship Travel/Home Must Have】- Comes with NO SURGE PROTECTION , it's absolutely a must have Home and Cruise Ship accessories as Cruise lines require that power strips DO NOT have Surge Protection. Compact and lightweight, easy to carry and best for travel.

Since it has standard outlets, I am not sure. The last time I had something like a powerstrip (which it was), it was flagged and they wanted to know what I was going to plug into it before they would let me have it, or my luggage, but that was over 10 years ago. In more recent years, I've never had any issue with a USB charger station similar to below. Once you consolidate all your device chargers into a single device on one outlet, I can't imagine that anyone would legitimately need additional outlets beyond what is supplied in the room, so I would say don't risk it and just get a USB only one. And mine, like this one, has a cord.

51zk9hBKXqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 1

@VegasVic14 I think the fact that it has regular outlets--and especially 3 prong grounded ones, will mean you're likely to have it confiscated.  I use one similar to what @RobInMNposted and it has just a two prong plug. I've used it on several cruises with no issue.  I always take along a variety of USB charging cords, some for iphones, some USB-C for the androids users. You can buy them on Amazon in packs with multiple lengths.  I use my phone as my bedside clock and a long usb works just fine--just make sure you don't create a tripping hazard for yourself if you need to get up in the night.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VegasVic14 said:

Information on what is now acceptable on RCI ships (scheduled for Mariner, July 2022) is scattered and searching gets mixed results on what is deemed "surge protection device" or whether or not a cord of any type is allowed.

rci.PNG

What I saw last couple times onboard this prob wouldnt pass. They had table full of Power/Extension cords. As said above better luck with USB only like they have pictured

I bring power cord for laptop - never had a problem, I bring a cloth pouch of international outlet converters I had bought a couple years ago on either amazon or ebay.   Then I can use multiple outlets for phones and laptop.    One of these converters includes a small USB charger so we each have one for our own phones.   Sometimes I bring a small battery operated alarm clock for bedside but usually use my cell phone for clock and alarm,

4 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

If anyone does this, be sure to understand what devices can be plugged into a 220v outlet. Most phones and laptops are ok but hair dryers, etc will instantly fry.

Yes, you are correct.   Several years ago I fried my hairdryer on the first night.    Lucky enough they supply their own hairdryers and I made sure not to plug into the 220 outlet

3 hours ago, VegasVic14 said:

rci.PNG

Here's what's not allowed:

Prohibited items:

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • CBD Oil / CBD Products
  • Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.
  • Hoverboards
  • Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Sports Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • HAM Radios
  • Baby Monitors
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • Perishable Food & Meat Products
  • Alcoholic Beverages (Note: On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne. Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I had a regular extension cord already plugged into a electric alarm clock, which they unplugged from the clock and confiscated. I like the clock to reach so I can see it in bed. 

I've never understood what is allowed and why. It was a new cord. 

The problem is they don't know what is allowed and what isn't. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, you are correct.   Several years ago I fried my hairdryer on the first night.    Lucky enough they supply their own hairdryers and I made sure not to plug into the 220 outlet

I've had another electric clock I fried, it started to run backwards. Threw it out and bought another after that cruise.

• Haha 1

I carry an extension cord in my CPAP bag.  DH & I both use them & the cord the ship supplies only has 1 plug in.  We need 2.  I haven't had any problem yet.  I bring with me a 3 or 4 port USB charger & that works great.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PTAngel said:

I carry an extension cord in my CPAP bag.  DH & I both use them & the cord the ship supplies only has 1 plug in.  We need 2.  I haven't had any problem yet.  I bring with me a 3 or 4 port USB charger & that works great.  

I'm guessing that they allowed it because it was used for your CPAP? 

Overall, I think I'd use the "walks like a duck" check. And to me, the original item looks like a fancy power bar. So it'll probably get confiscated. 

Frustrating. I want my phone at bedside and charging, since I follow the rules and turn off electric while I am out.  And I need an extension cord for my laptop. I was able to take one on Anthem June 2019.  Looks like this policy got stricter from when only surge protectors were prohibited.

19 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Frustrating. I want my phone at bedside and charging, since I follow the rules and turn off electric while I am out.  And I need an extension cord for my laptop. I was able to take one on Anthem June 2019.  Looks like this policy got stricter from when only surge protectors were prohibited.

Or maybe it's the port. Same extension cord allowed numerous times, not allowed out of miami.

Scissors same thing. Turns out only sewing size allowed, shorter blades, got them confiscated. Never know when I need a pkg opened, I like to have a pair of scissors. If I wanted a weapon, rather than a pair of scissors, I'd nab a steak knife at dinner.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Or maybe it's the port. Same extension cord allowed numerous times, not allowed out of miami.

Scissors same thing. Turns out only sewing size allowed, shorter blades, got them confiscated. Never know when I need a pkg opened, I like to have a pair of scissors. If I wanted a weapon, rather than a pair of scissors, I'd nab a steak knife at dinner.

Or perhaps the ship.

I carry a basic extension cord that looks very non-technical, but it is three prong since grounding = safety and my PC power adapter is 3 prong!  I have heard of many cases of people appealing, getting their item inspected and released to them. Hope that's the worst.

My first aid kit has scissors in it.  To cut bandages and moleskin. 

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Here's what's not allowed:

Prohibited items:

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • CBD Oil / CBD Products
  • Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.
  • Hoverboards
  • Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Sports Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.
  • HAM Radios
  • Baby Monitors
  • Electrical Extension Cords
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • Perishable Food & Meat Products
  • Alcoholic Beverages (Note: On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne. Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Oh great I can take a microwave and a kitchen sink 🤣🤣🤣

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Many cords were getting scooped up out of Boston and Pt Everglades/Fort Lauderdale also. This on smaller Brilliance and Serenade so they were catching quite a few having multiple tables with confiscated items, scissors, knifes, many fans... 

Was behind a Indian Large family held up by security , there was a heated exchange about how his wife will not be able to iron her Sarie's and how could she be seen in public after they were trying to take away there iron ...if you thought that was funny security also confiscated a rice cooker 🤣🤣🤣